“Different but nice”

Edinburgh Gallery Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 28 Hobart B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights. I was upgraded from shared facilities to own. Its old, Its cold but Frank did his best to make my stay comfy. Bed was very comfy, room heated up finally. Very noisy as on a main road but I was moved to a quieter and smaller room that was quieter without a hassle. Noisy as people come and go up and down wooden stairs. I slept poorly in the noisy room but it improved when I was moved. Clean and adequate not 3 star really but good for the price I paid.Breakfast very ordinary but again adequate. I bought fruit and some additives for the muesli to make it healthier. Its not a traditional B&B with a homely feel with owners who treat you like family its more like a hostel. Close to everything and I found a really beautiful French bistro 3 minutes away "Remi de Provence", so made my stay very enjoyable. Has unlimited wifi and digital TV. I love comfort and something quaint this would not be up there with what I really like but it was OK and I just accepted its downside.The website is a tad misleading but its worth a try if you are easy going and can go with the flow.

Room Tip: ask to be away from the busy road.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 29, 2013

It was filthy, absolutely no service, noisy, breakfast was a joke (frozen bread), expensive for what you got. I stayed with a friend and we were aghast at such filthy conditions. Now I don't mind outdated furnishings etc but when it comes to cleanliness there is no room for error. This place does represent the beauty of Hobart, with its wonderful food, gorgeous landscpape and friendliness. I have been travelling to Hobart for over 10 years and have stayed in brilliant B&Bs all of which were booked out and never had such a terrible experience and have never been so disgusted by the dirty, dirty conditions.

I could not sleep because the family who owned the establishment were noisy and up all night. Cooking smells permeated the entire building which were unpleasant. The owners were not available when I was checking out in the morning. I had to call his mobile and was told to wait. Breakfast room was not set up for patrons and we had to wait at 30 minutes for him to arrive with bread which was frozen. Needless to say we did not eat there.

I did not want to touch any surfaces, especially the kitchen and the bathroom. Stains everywhere: on capets, on blinds. Dust and cobwebs galore. Yuck, Yuck Yuck. I'm glad I did not bring my young family on this trip.

Establishments like this give the city a bad reputation which is unfair.

I feel rather traumatised by this experience!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank G R
Reviewed April 25, 2013

The building itself is lovely and has that old Hobart rustic charm creaky floorboards, stairs and all. The shared bathrooms were nice and clean, the bedroom had a comfy bed with an electric blanket which would come in handy for those cold Hobart nights. The TV didn't work (it was an old analogue TV and the area had obviously switched to digital). It is close to town, and just a 5min walk to the airport shuttle bus. The breakfast however, was a little disappointing, it did not start until 8am and as I was catching a shuttle, was told I had to help myself - which I was prepared to do. There was tea/coffee/cereal but no bread for toast, or pastries.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I booked two nights based on their advertising on their website, which lists their breakfast as consisting of fresh local produce as we were heading off on a hiking trip and thought this would be a great way to prepare. However, breakfast consisted of cereal & toast (white bread only) and jam, marmalade or vegemite. Not even any local honey. You made everything yourself including the coffee in a single-serve coffee pot. Not exactly what is advertised on their website. Furthermore the staff were not welcoming or helpful. The building itself is nice, & the location good, however, it is very noisy and the rooms not very clean. All-in-all very overpirced.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Debby B
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is what I call a last resort only B&B... You only stay here when you can't find anything better! While the prices are reasonably low, sadly, so is the quality. When we arrived, the person at the service desk was disinterested (when you can drag his attention away from his computer) and was not particularly friendly or helpful.
The so called buffet breakfast is made up of cereals, bread and spreads such as jam and Vegimite. There were no single serve packaged products and everything was in large communally shared containers. Likewise the milk yogurt, coffee and other food items items were from communally shared containers. (I don't know if this complies with health regulations but in my view, poses a clear health risk as food could easily be contaminated by other users prior to your consumption). There were ample toasters and kettles for you to use to prepare your breakfast.
The shower in our bathroom is a mere 750mm x 750mm no chance of swinging a cat, let alone bending over to pick up the soap. By the way, don't expect room service if you stay more than one night, our bed was not made up and the towels were not replenished during our stay.
I was particularly disturbed to find the emergency exit at the rear of the hotel blocked by a chained and padlocked steel gate. The only redeeming factor is it's location which is only a 10 min walk from the city centre. This is definitely not the 3 1/2 star accommodation it claims to be!

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper floors were a little better appointed than the other rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank steve m
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We booked two nights at this hotel in advance, after reading the description in the Lonely Planet. To say we were disappointed is an understatement. The hotel is located between two busy main roads, so the road noise inside the hotel is considerable. We were shown downstairs to a damp basement room, with a high, barred window (see photo from another reviewer). The furnishing is cheap and dated, well in need of replacing.

We dumped our stuff and went straight out for dinner. When we got back, we decided not to stay, so we went on and booked somewhere else. We spoke to the manager, who said we couldn't have a refund for that night, but would refund the following night. Fair enough. We still didn't stay the night though. I've never not stayed in a hotel I've paid for and gone somewhere else before!

There are many better alternatives in Hobart. I'd suggest chancing your luck with one of those rather than staying here.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TauntonTourist
Reviewed February 13, 2013

After looking at their website and instantly liking the quirkiness that was displayed I was thoroughly disgusted by what awaited us.
We booked the family suite which was two separate rooms with one queen and two singles. Towels were only provided for two people, the in room tea/coffee facilities again was only for two people. We had to ask for extra towels. We found empty bottled under the bed and belongings from past guests, room obviously hadn't been cleaned thoroughly for some time.
The shared bathroom facilities were disgusting. The bins weren't emptied during the 3 days we stayed. We asked for paper towel in the dispenser to be replaced which was done but after one day the paper was ripped and you couldn't get to it.
The breakfast was typical cereal and toast. Nothing like what was advertised. The supposed local conserves were just the normal brands you can buy in the supermarket.
I got the impression that the staff/owners whoever were there working were not that interested.
If I hadn't already paid in full there would be no way I would of stayed.
First time to Hobart and a thoroughly disgusting start to an otherwise wonderful trip.
Don't bother with this place definitely over priced for what was offered.

• Stayed: February 2013