“Worst B&B we have stayed in. Not a B&B a backpackers hostel!”

Edinburgh Gallery Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 28 Hobart B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 21, 2011

The breakfeast was inedible. Noise from upstairs and from outside. Bathroom was terrible with no hot water. Would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Bazz15

Reviewed March 4, 2011

But a little odd. We stayed in a suite, but the bathroom was on an angle, an old house that had moved I guess. Everything worked but shower was old and a bit weak. 10 to 15 minute walk into town and had a few car spaces atround the back. Breakfast was minimal - cereal, toast, beans bacon and eggs but ok. Comfortable enough but it's an old house and it shows.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank stiak
Reviewed February 7, 2011

This must be one of the worst places I have stayed .... and I've stayed at many third world b&bs. For $270 a night we were expecting the best Hobart had to offer. The breakfast was inedible ... we ended up going out for breakfast. The room was totally delapidated ... we had to put telephone directories under the beds legs on one side because the floor was steeply sloping. We only got replacement towels each morning because we asked for them. The ensuite was disgusting to say the least.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Savy71
Reviewed January 21, 2011

On entry the building smelt, our upstairs room with executive en suite had a filthy shower curtain and no plug for the basin. Taps dripped all night. Executive??!!

The noise from the intersection was really annoying and ongoing all night (click click of the traffic lights "walk" sign was amazingly LOUD!) They should have double glazing!

Cheery Asian manager but could not assist with any of our enquiries. (How to get to Bellerive Oval for the cricket, where was the shuttle bus? He did not know what cricket was.)

Breakfast was terrible- shredded bacon, grey scrambled eggs. The dining room had major damage to an inside wall- caused by water? Looked dreadful. (We both had a slice of toast and 1/2 glass of juice before heading out asap to Ross for a lovely brunch.)

Paid cash and just managed to obtain a receipt. We always prefer to stay in B & B's and commenetd that if this was in NZ it would be closed down! Are there no rules?? Seemed like an extremely bad backpackers to us. I would not recommend this place to anyone, ever.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TwofromtheNorth
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I stayed there 3 nights with my partner. I particularly appreciated the location : 15 mininutes walk to the CBD that's just perfect. I like the help-yourself breakfast arrangement. It has a shared kitchen and dining area plus small area for atching TV, felt like a guesthouse. Free parking out the back is a bonus.The room was nice, especially the bathroom which was quite big.The rooms had a large queen bed, two seater couch, day bed large wardrobe and plenty of space.The decor was definitely special! The bathroom was clean and functional. Overall, I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I stayed at the Edinburgh Gallery B&B throughout my five nights in Hobart and here's a few things I'd like to share.

1. Breakfast
- Yes, the claim is that breakfast is included. But expect none, and you will be glad to find some if you wake up earlier than the other patrons. In any case, it was just some bread, jam, cheese and ham - all stuff that shouts cheap. Consolation is that there's free flow of milk, cereal, milo, coffee and tea throughout the day, so you can make a cuppa milo at night or something, and it's free.

2. Accommodation Expectations
- Think of this as a backpackers and you'd be in for a treat because it is definitely a lot better than that, and not at all shabby for the price we paid (although we'd attribute it to low season rates as well). I stayed in a room for two that consists of two single beds and toilets were two floors up ($50 per night for two pax).

3. Service
- I did not call to have my room made up throughout my stay there. In any case, there was no staff at the reception 99% of the time. Apart from having the staff show me the room when I was there, my stay there felt like I rented a room in a sharehouse as opposed to staying in a B&B.

Overall, I would have given this accommodation an Excellent if not for the fact that the breakfast was dismal and I could do with a little Tasmanian hospitality.
A Very Good rating is given considering its fantastic location (walk-able distance to Cascades brewery, female factory, Louisa's walk, CBD, Salamanca market, art museum etc.)

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Electric blanket not working (others had same problem that we talked to at breakfast), free "upgrade" that wasn't requested, room draughty via "arctic" bathroom, not enough food for breakfast, no coffee, no butter, manager would not accept complaint or allow us to speak to the owner, manager advised "what do you expect for the money?", receipt was not provided for cash payment on check in (wonder if the owner got the$), some rooms very noisy, nice old building in a good position to walk into town, none of the guests could raise the young Chinese managers in the morning ......... Lost us and our network of potential customers and probably a few more from the people we talked to.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple