“Well located clean and modern”

RACV/RACT Hobart Apartment Hotel
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Reception staff friendly and helpful. We had a king room. Neutral decor. Everything that we needed was here. Wi-fi free but a little slow. Breakfast is a buffet on the weekends only.

Centrally located close to Salamanca market, restaurants and shops.

Gym is basic but modern.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Shelley R, Manager at RACV/RACT Hobart Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Thank you for your review and recent visit. We really appreciate your comments in relation to our service and location. We look forward to welcoming you back, happy travels.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Yes, this hotel is hard to find. There is no signage on the street (signage much further back at hotel enterance), look out for the restaurant 'Charcoal' sign. Parking is also very hard to find (down several side streets - we had to call the hotel for directions) and were told there are only 51 car spaces for the entire hotel.

Check in and reception was great, being seated on a lounge chair during the process.

Our room was a spacious corner room, with a balcony (however no furniture on balcony!) overlooking the city and somewhat of the Harbor.
The bathroom was neat and tidy, however there was only one glass (two people were staying) and no toilet brush (just an empty holder) The bath/shower also collected a lot of water, so you were standing in a foot of water whilst showering.

The minibar is VERY reasonably priced (750ml bottle of sparkling only $12.50!) however it was not replenished daily as was stated in the directory.
We looked at the menu for room service and the restaurant 'Charcoal' which leaves little to the imagination - a selection of half a dozen pizza's with one or two toppings and a few tapas plates.

Compared to other capital cities, I thought the price (even after Autoclub discount) was unreasonable. Apparantly the hotel are soon to undergo complete renovation, hopefully it will be worth a return trip then. A pool/spa might be a good idea!

Room Tip: We booked a Autoclub king room, which had a great corner view with a large balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank vanillabubble48
Reviewed December 7, 2013

A great central hotel the harbour within easy walking distance the harbour and the Salamanca market and some real nice restaurants the hotel as a car park and its own bar and restaurants great breakfast room real nice and clean and in very good standard would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Would recommend this great location hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Alan D
Reviewed December 2, 2013

First thing to note - this hotel is very difficult to find if you are driving! It is hidden away in a forecourt recessed from the street and has no signage on Collins Street. Hobart is a rather difficult maze of one way streets to navigate for the tourist driver and I drove past this hotel several times before finding it.

I stayed in a standard hotel room. It has a dated décor but the bed was comfy and the room was clean and spacious. The walls were a bit thin and I was kept awake by my neighbour's television, but the reception staff were helpful when I raised my concerns with them after midnight on a weeknight.

The CBD location is good (although it is, as I implied before, not so easy to drive around). The hotel itself is a bit of a rabbit warren. The onsite undercover car parking is a bonus in this location.

I personally did not like the layout of the hotel, with reception hidden away in a little box, a huge empty ground floor 'lobby' cavern devoid of life and the restaurant secreted away on the first floor. But that was just my view.

Overall, it was ok.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank scotthumphries
Shelley R, General Manager at RACV/RACT Hobart Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Thank you for your post Scott, it is the little things that count and I am pleased to let you know that as a new acquisition for the RACV and RACT and we are working through a number of improvement programs with a view to further enhance our Member and guest experience – especially our signage and sense of arrival. We do hope to welcome you back soon so you can see some of the changes occurring. Until then, take care and happy travels.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Booked this hotel last minute for an urgent business trip. Called the hotel to confirm the booking (I am an RACV member) and explained I wanted 2 rooms and 1 was for a staff member who was not a member. All confirmed and fine.

Arrived to a great hotel with fantastic rooms and a perfect location. Check in was very easy and all was good. Did what we had to do and the night at the hotel was extremely comfortable and uneventful. The rooms are actually very nice and well appointed.

Upon checking out I was informed that there were mini bar charges for potato chips? Charged for and I queried this as neither of us had used the mini bar facilities in either room. We were then subjected to a public tirade which I can only describe as a "dressing down" by the duty manager in reception in front of many guests for booking a room for a non member without informing them. Trying to explain that this was not the case was pointless as she would not stop to listen to us at all. Appalling behaviour in the extreme which spoilt what would have otherwise been an enjoyable experience.

Not good at all

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Markylush
Shelley R, General Manager at RACV/RACT Hobart Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear Mr Campbell thank you for taking the time to further discussed your recent stay with our Front Office Manager. We appreciate your understanding and are looking forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Hobart.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed here on business for a few days and chose this hotel just to try something different. I've stayed at a few other 4/5 star hotels in Hobart but usually stick to the larger chains.

I gave this hotel 5/5 as it really is one of Hobart's best options, but it definitely is work in progress. Check-in was fine but the current location does feel, somehow, "temporary" - and I found that I was having to drag out information that's usually automatically given to you - e.g. where and how breakfast work.

The rooms are definitely the high point - the decor is a little bland but certainly finished to a high standard. The appartments are just the right size (I found) and a nice change from your typical "room". Most of all I found it incredibly good value for money - especially the deluxe appartments with great views and spa bath on the balcony.

Breakfast is more like the reception area - it was very empty each time I went, with appropriately not all that much on offer - would be a shame to throw so much away each day! Again I found the service a little inconsistent - nothing to complain about but am sure this will improve.

The public areas do feel a little sparse - again I didn't find out exactly what's happened to this hotel but it had been built/renovated by one owner and then sold on to the current organisation that is now running it. The gym doesn't have an amazing feel about it, but has brand new, top of the range equipment.

I did like the location - it's centrally placed unlike most of the hotels which tend to be at either end of town. I would certainly consider staying here next time, especially when it will be up and running at full steam.

Room Tip: Do go for the best category your budget will allow, as you won't regret it.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We stayed in a very spacious one bedroom apartment and were very impressed with the whole experience here. Check in was prompt and friendly, staff were very helpful. The apartment had a large living area with kitchen, dishwasher and laundry, a really big bathroom with a separate shower and lovely deep bath. Everything was fresh and really clean too. The king size bed was very comfy. We ate at Charcoal, the restaurant attached to the hotel and it was great too.
This hotel is great value especially if you are a RACV member. It is right in town across the road from the main shopping centres and only a few minutes walk to the Waterfront and Battery Point. We did not need a car and saw lots!

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Kristine B
Shelley R, General Manager at RACV/RACT Hobart Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. It is lovely to read that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed all that Hobart has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hobart soon, until then, take care and happy travels.