“Perfect Position”

Zero Davey Boutique Apartment Hotel
Ranked #4 of 55 Specialty Lodging in Hobart
Reviewed October 18, 2006

We stayed for 3 nights at the Zero Davey. The staff were helpful in every way. The position of the hotel in Hobart is superb. Walking distance to the docks, salamanca and the city. Our room was brilliantly clean, modern and comfortable. We will definitely be staying there again!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank bmam

A TripAdvisor Member
Sydney
Reviewed May 1, 2006

We've just come back after staying at the new Zero Davey Apartments in Hobart. We were pleasantly surprised at the high standard of rooms, especially for the cost! My husband and I travelled down on a business / pleasure trip, and were supposed to stay at the bulky (and very dated) Hotel Grand Chancellor accross the road. Sorely disappointed with the rooms, we changed our minds when we cam e across this little gem directly opposite - Zero Davey. The friendly staff showed us a room before we agreed to stay - the rooms are fabulous.

Totally modern - unlike alot of the hotels around, here you can use high-speed internet (wireless even) and the plasma screen TVs and grey/white decor complete the modern setting. After seeing the water view rooms we upgraded - they have large balconies that are accessed through sliding doors - the water is right in front of you so the views are amazing - you can see the yachts from your bed, so the upgrade was definately worth it (if you can't go the extra pennies, they've cleverly put a live view of the harbour area on the plasma TVs in the city view rooms so you don't miss out!)

The only disappointment was leaving. Having spent many nights in different hotels, I found this hotel was exceptional - we'll definately be back!!

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 26, 2006

My husband and I, together with two other couples, recently rented the 3-bedroom Davey Penthouse for two nights. The penthouse was spacious, luxurious and had fabulous views over Hobart's docks. The penthouse was set up exactly as requested, including a travel cot lovingly made up with gorgeous blankets.

In light of all the mod-cons in the penthouse, we were surprised that it did not have any stereo system or radio.

Our very enjoyable stay was somewhat marred by hot water issues faced on two consecutive mornings over what was a chilly Hobart weekend. The first morning the hot water supply to our apartment ran out after three guests had had showers, leaving the remaining three guests to have lukewarm showers. We thought this was a one-off. However, the next morning two guests had a spa bath in the SOK spa bath in the ensuite to the main bedroom - use of the spa bath in accordance with its instructions (i.e. minimum water fill level) resulted in no hot water being available for the rest of the apartment resulting in the four other guests having cold showers.

Whilst the $600 per night apartment was lovely and overall represented good value, I would not expect to encounter such basic hot water issues for this amount of money. If a 3-bedroom apartment is to sleep 6 people, sufficient hot water for 6 people to shower should be supplied. We did politely complain about this issue and never received a response, which was also disappointing given the service was otherwise fantastic.

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank HelenLH
Reviewed April 10, 2006

I stayed at Zero Davey very recently and found it to be of a much higher standard than expected.

As with all my accommodation bookings I regularly check the reviews on-line, and thought I would give this hotel a try. I can't really agree with the other reviews about the noise and modern decor...

The rooms are designed with a modern look - lots of grey and white - plasma TVs and wireless internet access add to the appeal. But above all, the beds would have to be the best in Hobart!

I've stayed in alot of hotels in Hobart as I travel here regularly for work - and definately can't agree with the noise problems - the rooms are double glazed so you can't hear a thing!

I'll be returning again and again.

5  Thank ETravelling
Reviewed April 6, 2006

We stayed in Zero Davey for 2 nights - After reading the reviews (Sleepless in Hobart) I made sure that I paid extra for the harbour view, hoping that we would get a better nights sleep than the other reviewer - I guess thats one of the main reasons that you want a room eh?

Unfortunatly it did not help - I was staying on the second floor, and you could still hear the road, the bins being collected etc - in every other street in Hobart that would not be the problem, Davey Street is the busiest street in Hobart.

Had to ask twice for different pillows, but were satisfied in the end and the service was excellent and friendly. The hotel rooms are stark and modern, somewhat minimalist - and the bathrooms the same - with not a lot of storage space to put toiletries on and in our room at least, a very odd mirror made up of 2 inch reflective squares with a one cm break between each square!. (would be a problem if you were getting ready for a big night)

Internet access worked quite well and was quite fast, but for some reason could not get wireless in my room, however they also had Ethernet, so just used that which excellent. 10 Cents per minute is okay ($6.00 per hour) but being connected all day would cost a fortune - no "daily" option.

The view is wonderful, as is the plasma TV - there is even a channel that shows a view of the harbour so you don;t have to get up to look outside.

The ventian blinds are far from blackout, but have seen worse.

For the light sleeper, its probably going to be far from restful, but its a very very clean, friendly hotel in a great location.

7  Thank flytoomuch
A TripAdvisor Member
Melbourne
Reviewed March 24, 2006

If, like me, staying in places with fussy floral doona covers puts a dampener on your trip, this is the hotel for you. The decor may not be to everyone's taste but if you like the modern look you'll enjoy it here. I've stayed in the studio and the waterfront studio. Yes, the 'normal' studios don't have a view and back on to a road but the room is great, the bathroom contains a washer and dryer and the kitchenette is well-stocked. The view from the waterfront studio is, as expected, delightful and I spent a long time on the balcony just soaking it up. My waterfront studio also had a spa bath which never features in my 'must haves' but strangely, I seemed to spend a lot of time in there too.

• Stayed: January 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 14, 2006

We stayed at Zero Davey last weekend (10-12 March) and had a fabulous time - the rooms are funky (European Style) with plasma screen TVs and the beds are to die for!

Staff are really friendly - we were quite needy with restaurant, tour and day spa reservations and they couldn't have been more helpful. Prices are reasonable compared to the other crappy hotels in Hobart!!

p.s. They will deliver breakfast to you in the morning if you want it! Highly recommend a stay here...

Stayed: March 2006