“Overpriced and disappointing”

Zero Davey Boutique Apartment Hotel
Ranked #4 of 55 Specialty Lodging in Hobart
Reviewed February 1, 2009

I booked this through Wotif, and was surprised at the cost for a studio apartment with a water view, but assumed it must be of high quality. I usually stay at the Salamanca on the Pier which has a better position and is more reasonably priced.

I could even have stayed at the beautiful Henry Jones Art Hotel for less, but my husband wanted an apartment so we could buy oysters off the pier and generally enjoy the many picnic delights of Hobart.

We were given a second floor apartment, which was really the first floor - very close to the ground and therefore noisy if you kept the balcony door open for some fresh air.

The room had a cold grey decor with tiling around the kitchen, eating area. There was a dirty, unattractive balcony that I had hoped we would sit out on to eat our picnic and enjoy some Tassie pinot. Even were it not dirty, it was inaccessible due to the fact the "state of the art" electric blinds were broken.

The bathroom was strange - great shower but nowhere to put anything and a mirror that was a series of small squares.

The layout of the room was poor, including a TV facing the bed which it made it the only place you could watch.

I wouldn't have felt so disgruntled and disatisfied had it not been for the price I was paying - nearly $400.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Julie S

Reviewed October 28, 2008

My family and i relocated to Hobart in August from Malaysia, and have been staying at Zero Davey til now. I must say that i didn't have very high expectations at first, coming from a big bustling city like Kuala Lumpur and being very much a city girl used to very modern living amenities, but this was by far the best move i have ever made- our Zero Penthouse, as well as some of the 3-bedroom units some of our family members have stayed in when visiting us are as modern as any Manhattan apartment!

We have a beautiful view of waterfront, and what can be more beautiful than seeing the yachts and sailboats out on the water every morning and evening...

Our rooms are ultra modern, the master bedroom of the zero penthouse in particular is very funky and dare i say, sexy! check it out on the zero davey website! i also LOVE LOVE LOVE the spa tub in our bedroom.

The staff are the nicest and most polite we have ever come across in any hotel/serviced apartment anywhere in the world, and i must say Nathan, Tom and their colleagues are always happy to go out of their way to assist anytime, and have made my two kids, my husband and i feel so at home, which makes living at Zero Davey a really wonderful experience.

I have no hestitation in recommending this to ANYONE intending on visiting Tasmania.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank tiaraJ
Reviewed October 26, 2008

My partner & I stayed here for two nights, in a studio apartment.

We flew in late and our plane was delayed, but reception stayed back and waited for us. They also had popped on the heater in our room as it was quite cold. I was very impressed with the service!

The room has a very new and modern feel, but it is quite small, with only a double bed. Also, the window furnishings aren't sufficient in blocking out outside light.

I thought the location was great- close to the water and a short walk to Mures, a great seafood restaurant. A ten min walk to the CBD.

Overall, it was a nice stay, with only a few minor issues.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank chelle007
Reviewed August 30, 2008

The decor is psydo posh (Ikea modern) but reasonable space but with no storage space in the bathroom.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.
Bit of a walk from the 'action'.
Unfortunately it was a very cold night and the heating was inadequate with only thin bedding available making restful sleep difficult.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank OldishOne
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Got very lost trying to find the Davey, due to lots of one way streets in Hobart!!! Eventually arrived! Receptionist not the friendliest, and no carparking was available so had to park on the wharf area next to hotel.
As I was travelling with my daughter and her boyfriend we were given an access unit (for disabled persons), as we needed to fit in another bed. Modern and funky, fully equipped with everything for a self contained stay, as well as a spa.
If you want undercover car parking, you should book in advance, but it does cost $10/night.
Hogs Breath Cafe and Bottleshop across the road, a short stroll to the shopping precinct, Salamanca Markets and the wharf area with some great restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Frangipanni69
Reviewed August 23, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed in a studio deluxe room for $140, which was a reasonable price. No breakfast or internet - which was fine because the kitchen is fantastic! It has all utensils - pans, pots, plates, everything so I was impressed with the kitchen. Despite other reviews, the electric cooktop was very easy to use.

Location – convenient and easy to find. It was a very short walk to Salmanca Place and also to the Hobart CBD. It's right next to Constitution Dock. The only thing was, the traffic was quite loud at night because it was on a main road.

Room – modern, nice colours, good design. The TV is quite high but I didn't really feel the need to watch a lot fo TV. Sofa was used for putting clothes. Bed was very comfortable, lovely sheets. There was heaps of space to put your clothes and suitcase.

Bathroom - Clean, very good hairdryer, also has the washing machine in it. The shower door was a bit of a nuisance - don't know why they didn't build the door all the way, it's only half a screen and so was a bit messy.

NOTE: I brought my gym clothes and swimming costume, thinking that there would be a mad gym and sauna. The gym was very small, smaller than my tiny bedroom with only about 2 pieces of equipment. The sauna was also tiny, would only fit 3 people, mayb 5 if you all squashed up. It was also IN the carpark, so it wasn't really convenient to actually go there because you would have to walk through to the carpark as there was no shower or changeroom area.

Overall, Zero Davey has nice apartments, but the bathroom and the misleading gym and sauna photos were a bit of a let down. Otherwise, everything else was quite good.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jwyh
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Spent the weekend at Zero Davey. We booked this hotel somewhat based on the reviews on trip advisor. We were certainly not disappointed. Zero Davey is a slick hotel with everything you need for a short stay. The location is great... waterfront just a short walk. My only gripes would be the very soft bed (no king beds available!) and the shower head. Our safe was broken which a little annoying but overall we were pleased and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple