“Not Impressed”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Six of us went to dinner here on Saturday 6th July 2013. Arrived as per booked time at 7.30pm. We did notice as we were taken upstairs that the restaurant was very crowded. Some 30 minutes later our drinks arrived and meal orders taken. We checked our watches and at 9pm we asked the waiter how long our meals would be and ordered more drinks. "Soon" was his reply. A table of six young women next to us (who were there with drinks on their table when we arrived) also asked the same question. Their meals arrived 10 minutes later then after 5 minutes they left with very little gone from their plates. We though perhaps they had somewhere else to be. Anyway, almost two hours after we sat down our entrees arrived. Five of our table had the Seafood Chowder which although tasty had no body at all - think potato was omitted. Entree plates removed and mains arrived. After waiting more than two hours both courses arrived 10 minutes apart! After which we received our second drinks. Still didn't get the water requested on our arrival. Steaks - again tasty but not worth the frustration. There were two staff members upstairs and a girl who delivered meals. They were literally run off their feet the whole time we were there. Definitely more staff required in all parts of the restaurant (i.e. wait staff to take orders and cater to their tables as they are trained to do, chefs and kitchen staff to get meals out quicker, bar staff to get drink orders filled in a timely manner). Perhaps even the boss with his clipboard could even put it down and do something besides trying to look important! Will not be back!

2  Thank Gabrielle R

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Went there for dinner on a Saturday with a booking. The service was average and a man who I assume was the owner was running around with his clipboard and mostly looked to be getting in the way. The wait staff were trying hard and polite but massively understaffed. Twice we had to go find someone to get us drinks that were ordered over 20 mins ago or because desert was delivered with no cutlery. We were seated in the upstairs room which was stifling and overcrowded. They had packed so many people in that my chair back was pressed up hard against that of the person behind me and when meals/drink came out the staff had to get us to pass it around our table as it was so cramped the could only access one side of our table.
Food was ok, tasty but not innovative or refined in any way as the price would suggest. At best I would give this venue an average rating. It feels like an attempt at an upmarket Sizzler or a poor version of The Ball and Chain.

1  Thank Hobartcritic4
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We first went to Roaring Grill last week on a Friday night. We had both finished late at work, and being 8pm drove into town hoping to find somewhere for tea. We saw Roaring Grill and were aware it hadn't been open long, liked what we saw on the window menu so went inside. We were lucky to get the last table. Service was reasonable, we enjoyed our meal - both had steak. I thought my steak (eye fillet) was beautiful but my fiance had scotch fillet and didn't think the cut was that great - quite grisly. We were both full after having a steak each and a side of chips to share. I thought the wine list was also reasonable. I, in fact, checked us in on facebook, and several people commented asking what we thought and I left a comment recommending the place.

Take 2 - tonight...We had arranged dinner for our parents and thought it would be a nice place to take them all. We ordered a nice bottle of the Pooley Pinot and some bread for the table which was nice. Half the table got entrees - oysters, sausage and chicken wings. All the entrees were tasty and well received. Most of the table ordered steaks for main, one had lamb cutlets - which were enjoyed. As for the steaks three out of five steaks were undercooked. My fiance's steak was basically blue (he had ordered medium rare) and his mum's was rare (she had ordered medium). Mine was also bordering on blue-rare (I had also ordered medium rare). We sent them back with the waitress being apologetic. They were quick to return re-plated. Both my fiance and my steak were charcoal, large edges of burnt meat that was inedible.

Each steak is served with a mash and side of salad - the salad was beautiful, the mash tasty but was lumpy (not the case on our first visit).

When the waitress came to collect our plates she asked how our second steaks were and we told her they were burnt - she was pretty apologetic as it was pretty obvious from the large chunks of charcoal left on our plate. As the kitchen was open we could see her return to the kitchen and the chef's shake their heads as she told them what had occurred - her comments appeared not appreciated at all. We then saw her go to the owner/manager and tell him what had occurred and we could see he was actually getting annoyed at what she was saying. It appeared he was actually having a go at her for what she was telling him. She returned to the table with tears in her eyes and told us unfortunately, as we had just witnessed clearly he didn't wish to accept the feedback given. This is a waitress that we could not fault throughout the night - her service was exceptional.

Next came dessert - we ordered two desserts; an apple crumble which was tasty and the sugared donuts which were average - dry and dense, with chunks of jam accompanying them on the plate - appeared as if it had just been scooped out of a supermarket jar.

The owner/manager actually came to collect our dessert plates and asked my fiance how the donuts were. He couldn't help but say "better than the steaks". He then asked him what he meant - as if he had no idea what had happened earlier. My fiance politely told him what had occurred and well, he just stood there. It was extremely uncomfortable as we were completely aware of the fact he knew exactly what had happened, and he couldn't even respond with an apology. He then blurted (after a considerable silence) "oh well you want me to give you your's half price or something" to my fiance. My fiance didn't know what to say and responded "well that's completely up to you, as it's your restaurant". He then walked away leaving the whole table dumbfounded.

The bill arrived shortly after...surprise surprise, no discount. My fiance went to pay the bill and Mr personality was on the till. He then stated to my fiance "yours was the blue steaks was it?" as if the conversation just two minutes prior hadn't even occurred. My fiance answered yes and he said "I'll give you $15 off". He then calculated the bill - actually ended up making one steak 50% off as he said it was otherwise too hard to calculate, meaning we got a total of $17.50 off a bill of $407. Throughout this time, no apology and no further conversation.

On leaving, still no apology. In fact. the owner wouldn't even make any eye contact with us. My fiance walked past and thanked him regardless. Still nothing.

We both think this is really disappointing as we were really excited to see a restaurant specialising in tassie produce. We will not return here or recommend on principle alone.

6  Thank LabRat23
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Had dinner here early on a Thursday night. Didn't seem to have our booking but seated okay anyway. Close to the open kitchen, which was interesting. We started with the shared ribs and chicken wings - very tasty.
Next we had steaks - eye fillet & scotch. Both cooked well and as we asked. Came with a type of mash (chunky) and a waldorf salad. We both had sauces served separately.
I finished with a crème brulee as I cannot go past them. Coffee flavoured and quite nice.
With a bottle of wine and one coffee came to $160
Lots of staff - almost too many - asked a lot if the food was good etc

Reviewed June 25, 2013

A new restaurant with a nice décor and good service. Located in food central North Hobart. Menu was definitely for meat lovers. All diners at our table enjoyed their meals. Over all it wasn't overly expensive but I thought the cost of the one home made sausage on mash entre made them a nice profit at $14.