“Service failed in so many ways”
Review of Red Red Grill Restaurant - CLOSED

Red Red Grill Restaurant
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Message to the chef and owner, there is no point producing good food if the experience is let down by poor service. The waiters play a key role in connecting the customer to the kitchen. Never put untrained or ill-prepared staff on to the floor of a restaurant – it will kill the restaurant’s reputation just as quickly as bad food. The food was actually very good. My special of the day of slow cooked lamb melted in my mouth, and my mushrooms for entrée had a nice Japanese influence. My wife's entrée of tuna, and a Japanese style pork cutlet (tonkatsu) were equally good. However, the food and the experience was let down by terrible service, which failed at many levels. We waited more than 20 minutes before being asked for pre-dinner drinks. That was too long to wait, especially when the restaurant was only half full and there were three staff working the floor. The empty pre-dinner glassware then remained on the table for the rest of the dinner, despite the table being quite small and the "empties" clearly piled to one side. These could have been cleared when clearing entrée plates. The wrong wine was delivered despite the waiter writing the name down. The correct wine was delivered soon after, opened, slopped into our glasses without being asked to taste the wine first, the bottle was then resealed and plonked in the middle of the table like a soft drink bottle - all in a matter of seconds - before the waitress hurried off. The Stelvin closure now used on most Australian wine has prevented a lot of wine spoilage, but it can still happen and the customer ordering the wine should be asked to taste the wine first. Our main courses then arrived but we had no cutlery; these had been cleared away with the entrée plates. It took nearly 10 minutes to get the attention from one of the staff to get new cutlery by which time the main course was getting cold. My lamb was at least still tepid and I was reluctant to send it back in case there was a further delay. My wife ordered dessert which was nice. I ordered a cheese board which arrived without explanation of the cheeses and without a knife. In fact I got a spoon! At this stage I gave up on the staff and took a knife from a nearby vacant table. At the end we were presented with just the final bill. I insisted on an itemised account to ensure there were no other mistakes. We were offered an apology for the mistakes in service, which was blamed on a new staff member (she delivered and poured the wine) but that didn’t account for the poor service by the senior staff. The wine list is limited and average for a restaurant promoting itself as a meat and red wine experience. The hard services in the restaurant makes it hard hear across a table, even a small one, and having spare chairs and table covers sitting in the tiny ante room to the toilets is not a good look.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My title says it all really - best steak I have had in Hobart. I have eaten here a couple of times for dinner, and it's always been perfect quality, amazing bourbon sauce (even though I'm not a bourbon fan), perfectly cooked, and lovely accompaniments. Only thing I don't love is the atmosphere - seeing as the steaks are quite pricey (but considering the size and quality) I would expect more of an upmarket restaurant atmosphere. Instead it's more of a cheap diner feel. We have also had rude/unhelpful staff on both occasions at the restaurant which again, not great considering how much we were paying. Would like to try the breakfast/lunch menu!

But.. purely, based on the quality of the food, I would definitely return as it really is the best steak I've ever had in Hobart, perfectly cooked every time.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Considering how late we were, service was great. Wife and I both had ribs and were impressed with how good it tasted.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Wasn't my first choice on a recent Sunday morning was going to go to Machine Wash but it was full not that big actually and outside tables far to cold walked into RedRed instead warm comfortable quick service great breakfast and good coffee like all the breakfast cafes in Hobart a little pricey but on the whole no complaints a pleasant surprise

Reviewed July 6, 2013

It was cold, our table had awful metal table cloth holders directly in front of us. The staff all felt a bit new and seemed to generally lack when it came to service.

Ordered a bottle of wine and it was just plonked onto the table - not opened, not poured for us..

The food was okay. Not terrible but it wasn't great. There are better places in Hobart to spend your dining out dollars.