“No complaints here”

Black Buffalo Tavern & Restaurant
Ranked #154 of 623 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Black Buffalo is a well known Hobart hotel which is centrally located with a great reputation for top quality food and service. The Black Buffalo offers ensuite accommodation, bar and gaming lounges, bistro, a bottle shop with a large range of Tasmanian wines, and conference and training facilities that can accommodate up to 50 people in theatre style. With 25 ensuite rooms and two dining areas, people are often surprised by all that The Black Buffalo has to offer. Why not come in and experience it for yourself?
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Many years ago we used to visit this establishment a bit for meals when we lived locally, but found over time the quality of food and service had dropped away and prices had increased significantly. However, happy to say that at a recent Friday lunch with mates the service was again very good, the atmosphere pleasant the food at a level you would expect for a quick pub meal. We had $19 bar specials, the steaks were cooked as requested and the food delivered quickly and efficiently. No complaints on this occasion; we will go back and as a bonus for locals the Black Buffalo does hae a voucher in the Entertainment Book.

1  Thank samoht103

Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Looks a bit dodgy from the outside, and at $100/night I was dubious, but I booked two nights here and couldn't be happier. Beautiful spacious room with air con and heater and massive bathroom. Quiet location. Didn't eat in the restaurant but walking through looks tasty! Have paid loads more in Hobart for less. Free WiFi and onsite parking. Just wonderful. You won't regret staying at the buffalo!

3  Thank Maggie S
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We had a great meal here very recently. The menu is extensive, the specials surprising, the food was well cooked, served very quickly. Restaurant was well organised and run. A large group came in after us and ordered before us, so was expecting quite a wait for our meals. This did not eventuate, salmon on salmon is my favourite!!! Don't overlook this restaurant , it's really good

1  Thank louieHobartTasmania
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Having rung to book, the person I spoke with was quite short & rushed. I actually debated on cancelling. Gave them the benefit of the doubt. And, that said, I remembered the name & met the person whilst there & I do believe it was a case of being busy. The person ended up chatty & friendly. Still, no excuse, though.

Food - hubby had the beef schnitzel. You know, the one you hear about from this place. It needs it's own larger plate as it's about the size of 4 normal schnitzels. He's good on the tooth but didn't finish it. the size is quite obscene. I had the chicken stuffed with the pistachios & apple. Ok, but wouldn't rush back for it. Mind you, I'm not sure what else I would have on the menu.

Found the prices a little high. Although the schnitzel, being that size, wasn't badly priced, considering. Glad we didn't have our kids with us on this visit. Therefore my price & value ratings will be across board on both our meals. The service was quick enough & friendly enough (once there). Don't come here for a romantic meal (we didn't!) because it's a big open, light room with tables very much in reach.

1  Thank wavic
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Booked in with a group of hungry hockey girls after hearing of their huge schnitzels. Great food - girls enjoyed the meals, especially the schnitzels - a couple took on the Schnitzel Challenge and won!

1  Thank Dirranbandi