“Superb”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I must say I'm a bit of a regular so I thought it was about time I wrote a review. I have been to the Signal Station for breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and private functions, on separate occasions, and have had a great experience every time. The food is always fresh, tasty and exquistley presented. The service is always prompt and friendly and the views are amazing.

I always choose to take my friends and family to the Signal Station Brasserie for birthdays and special occasions, because I know we will receive a delicious meal and attentive service in beautiful surroundings, making it an enjoyable experience for everyone. I have also purchased many gift certificates for special occasions such as weddings and engagements, with much appreciation expressed from the recipients.

This place is a little gem and an experience not to be missed. To avoid disappointment, particularly on weekends, I would suggest booking in. You won't regret it!

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Living as we do in Mount Nelson, we had visited the Signal Station many times – often with interstate or overseas visitors. We were aware of course of the superlative view – easily the best of any Hobart eatery – but were not fully prepared for the gastronomic treat that awaited us on this occasion.

Our son had phoned from Barcelona to arrange a birthday lunch for my wife Elizabeth who was celebrating her 56th twenty-first (I’ll leave the maths to you). We both agreed afterwards that the overall dining experience was the best we could remember in Australia, second only perhaps to an unforgettable meal in late 2000 at a tiny restaurant near Carcassonne, France.

A shared avocado mousse soup with house-cured salmon was an excellent prelude to the perfectly cooked and presented main courses ( prosciutto-wrapped salmon for my wife and rack of lamb for me), both locally sourced and with an appropriate choice of fresh local vegetables. Throwing caution to the winds we both opted to treat ourselves to a dessert and were not disappointed… Elizabeth’s honeycomb semifreddo and my cherry whiskey tart were both delicious. Black coffee rounded off a perfect meal.

Service was prompt, friendly and professional and we particularly appreciated the helpful and unobtrusive presence of owner Scott Allen himself – something we have always associated with the restaurants we love best. We would unhesitatingly recommend the Signal Station to anyone looking for a new and fully satisfying restaurant venue.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Had seen this restaurant when we had gone for the view from Mt Nelson, so decided to try it for lunch. The service and the friendliness of the staff were excellent, and our meals were delicious. The main course came out a little too quickly before we had finished our entree but I think this was because there was a large group coming and the kitchen didn't want us to be caught up in the middle of their ordering. I am not a seafood eater and a lot of the meals had some component of seafood, but there was still enough non seafood choices for me to pick from.
We were seated out on the glassed-in verandah, so had really great views all the way from where the Derwent River flows into the sea back to Hobart.

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

The best breakfast I've had in a long time! The scrambled eggs were fluffy and creamy, not dry and solid like some other places. I'm pretty fussy with my bacon too, I dislike warm watery barely cooked bacon and Mt Nelson cooked it well without me telling them to! Also, I didn't have any hollandaise this time, but it looked fresh made, not the jar stuff. The sun was out, so our seat at the big window had an excellent view across the Derwent and out to Lauderdale. Staff were really friendly too :) oh and the prices were great for how awesome it was! Thank you, we will be back for more Gilespies ginger beer and scrambled egg.

2  Thank Kate B
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The most AMAZING meal that I have ever eaten! Pork belly, oh my goodness. Wow! Superb! Definitely coming again! 10/10! 5 stars, many thanks!
Lived in Hobart all my life, never knew this wonderful place existed! Totally coming back!
Thank you Scott and staff for such a wonderful day!

2  Thank JacintaChandler
sc0ttallen, Owner at Signal Station Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

I'm so glad you finally found us!!
{Even though we weren't lost.}

And am so glad you took the time to review us online.

Look forward to your next visit, and some even better meals with us!!
Scott