“Great coffee”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Service with a smile - very welcoming! Only had coffee, but the menu looks great, and there were plenty of people eating, so need to come back to try that. Cakes looked great in the display.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

There are some great breakfast/lunch options in Hobart, but one we hadn't yet tried was Marmalade on Elizabeth Street. We’d heard good things and were hoping it wouldn't disappoint!

With such gorgeous weather to enjoy, we decided to take a seat outside under the umbrellas. As it was just past midday we were offered both the breakfast and lunch menus from which to select our afternoon repast.

Both were tempting, with a great range of both traditional and gourmet meals to satisfy the taste buds. For me it was a choice between the Baked Eggs (with fetta, caramelised onion, tomato and basil with optional chorizo sausage) and the Breakfast Tortilla, while my wife was eyeing off the Vegetarian Eggs!

I’ve never been much a ciabatta kind of guy, so I inevitably went with the Breakfast Tortilla. Herbed scrambled eggs wrapped in a soft, fluffy tortilla, with chorizo, tomato, caramelised onion and beetroot jam on the side! Mmm… so good…perhaps could have done with a little more seasoning on the eggs, but overall a really, really good meal.

My wife also seemed to be enjoying her Vegetarian eggs immensely. Perfectly poached, sitting on a bed of grilled haloumi, beetroot relish and avocado on dark rye toast. I didn’t try it, but by all accounts (and the speed at which it was consumed), it was a winner as well!

I have to be honest and say that the service, while solid, wasn’t amazing. Friendly, but perhaps a little inattentive. Being a casual cafe though, this wasn’t a big deal and it certainly didn’t detract from the meal.

The prices were fairly reasonable for Hobart, ranging from $6.50 for toast (and house made marmalade of course!) up to $21.50 for the full Marmalade Breakfast, with the lunch menu being a little higher again. Very good value in my opinion.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

It was my first cafe to visit on arrival to Hobart, not far from my accommodation at Bay View Villas and what a lovely place. Great staff and lovely breakfast which i enjoyed plus the ambience! Gorgeous! Will visit it again next time I am in town!!!

Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is my regular for breakfast in Hobart. Its a cool little cafe that serves fresh tasty food. My preference is the Vegetarian Eggs (with bacon on the side). They do a good Big Breakfast and Baked Eggs also. The service is not the best in town, but weekend cafes are always full of teenagers who are either hungover or would rather be at home than at work. The food and the atmosphere makes the lack luster service somewhat forgivable.