“Delicious food but chaotic service”
Review of Taj Palace

Taj Palace
Reserve with
Taj Palace is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #180 of 596 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Hobart, Australia
“Delicious food but chaotic service”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Before I start, I really need to emphasise how yummy the food is here. I've been to the Taj Palace probably half a dozen times and the food really is unbelievable yummy. So it's with affection and humour that I say the service here really is quite hilariously bad - think of Fawlty Towers x10. So on my last visit, the place was really busy - and the Taj Palace really isn't organised enough to handle a full house. So we waited at the door for a while. Eventually a waiter looked at us and gestured at us, moved some tables about in a haphazard fashion, but then ran away and left us standing again somewhat awkwardly. He then sat down and had a meal himself. We decided to seat ourselves, and found a table that still had food smears and cutlery left over from the last diners, which we assumed would soon be remedied. Eventually the owner came over, but instead of cleaning up the table, he brought us over a half-drunk pitcher of water from another table, and only one glass (even though there were three of us). Then he ran away too before we could even order drinks. A person dining next to us told us to leave before we ordered because he'd been waiting an hour and a half since he'd ordered and still hadn't received any food. Plus he said another couple had been there since 5pm, and still hadn't received any food by then (it was about half past seven). We laughed it off and decided to see the entertainment factor in it all. After about 45 minutes, our orders were taken, and when the food arrived, one of the dishes was wrong. We explained to the waitress that we'd wanted a vegetarian meal - a saag paneer - and this was a beef dish. She didn't believe us and said she'd ask her boss. She changed over the meal and everything was fine, but they still hadn't given us any cutlery.The food was delicious. We had a great time. The owners' kids are running all over the place, but that's okay. It's crazy here, but I love the food and I'll definitely go back.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Ambervw

“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I am not usually one to complain on Tripadvisor but unfortunately I feel my experience at this restaurant warrants it.

We ordered take away for a group of 6 people. After being told that the meal would be 45 minutes, we went to pick it up and then had to wait a further 50 minutes for the meal.

Three of the curries ordered were vegetarian and two of these had pieces of meat in them. I called to complain and spoke to the manager who said he didn't believe us and told us that it must have fallen in because they were busy. Being busy maybe an excuse for a late meal but it is not an excuse for putting meat in vegetarian curries. The manager was arrogant and didn't seem to care at all with barely an apology and no resolution offered.

After getting nowhere on the phone with the manager I decided to eat my naan and found that it was undercooked and doughy which was very disappointing.

I certainly won't be eating here again and would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Flos88
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic Indian Cuisine yummy!”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Service was a little slow but apart from that, everything else was fantastic. My husband says that people would come from India to eat here.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Jacqwil
“Great Tandoori dishes”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Consistently good - service, atmosphere and most importantly the food. Particularly the Tandoori lamb chops!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Colin A
“Best butter chicken”
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Tried other Indian places but have to keep going back to taj for their butter chicken best we have found would and have recommended it to any one

1 Thank brendanls