“love the history” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 46 Hotels in Hobart
Brisbane, Australia
“love the history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

We loved the history and design of our room - our bathroom was the old vault for the manager of IXL! Service was efficient and very helpful - love the suits guys!
Wonderful recommendation for dinner at Garagiste (amazing food and wine).

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

I was keen to stay at this hotel after all I have read and heard about it, but unfortunately, I will not be returning. The room was comfortable, but not worth the price. The location was great and even though the room was facing onto the harbour the view was limited because of the size and placement of the window. (Poor design). However, I did like the ensuite with the walk in shower.
I do have concerns with security at this hotel. While I was in the bath, the entrance door to the room opened and it was clearly visible through the translucent glass wall of the ensuite. This was not preceded by an audible knock, and I did not order anything from room service. I did not report this at the time, but perhaps I should have, although I felt nothing would have been done about it.
On check out, I requested a receipt, but was denied this even after discussions with the manager. The hotel is unable to supply a receipt unless the booking is made directly with them. If you require one, then I suggest you do not book with any accommodation reservation website. This is the first time I have encountered this problem.
Finally, the valet parking was appreciated, except our car was incorrectly parked by the staff when brought up to the front of the hotel. As we headed to our car on departure, a parking officer was in the process of writing an infringement notice! When we explained that we were exiting the hotel and the staff were responsible for parking the car, we were fortunate he decided to dismiss the ticket.
We did love Hobart, but not The Henry Jones.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank DreaminAgain
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

This hotel is not the suave establishment the photos on the internet would lead you believe . Inconsistant quality of design and furnishings, and and sails that are used as a ceiling feature throughout the hotel which are often stained and litter filled, give the hotel a somewhat tired/dated feel.
In our rooms,the studio lofts,there were no baths, the bathroom bench was incredibly low and the beds were far too hard.
Our friend in another room also found the bed too hard and had a desparate four nights.
Breakfast was adequate, apart from the lukewarm coffee which came from the do-it-yourself jugs, and in my opinion the muffins smelt of dirty fat or oil.
On a positive note the staff vere very helpful, professional, and with the informative tour of Hobart, they really added to our stay.
Two other lots of friends who had previously stayed there also agreed with our assessment . One of them actually moved out to find somewhere better.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank maggggiii
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night after our wedding in the Henry Jones suite.
The two-story room was amazing and was full of heritage.
The overflowing spa bath and HUGE shower room were great and so relaxing!
The people at front desk were so nice and helped us out with what ever we needed they even went to our room for us while we were out to fill the overflowing bath which took 45 mins to fill. It was huge!
We had breakfast the next day, which was really nice. The only thing is there were no hot breakfast options that didn’t come without eggs. This was only disappointing to me, as I don’t eat eggs. But the continental breakfast was still great! J
Dinner there was great and the food was sooooooo good. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a chic best of the best in Hobart experience!
I want to go again pity it’s a bit pricey!

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2011

Amazing service and definitely good experience overall. I am not sure if is it worth to pay for a harbor view room because all due respect it is not much of a view. Central Hobart location is good and the hotel is surely beautiful. If it was 100 dollars cheaper per night I would say good value for money.

• Stayed January 2011
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2011

Great service, fantastic history and the art installations make this place so attractive.

• Stayed January 2011
Bingil Bay, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2011

We had been looking forward to our 4 night stay here for a long time and came away somewhat disappointed. There is no doubting the stunning architecture and the "trendiness" of the rooms, but at these kind of prices (almost $500pn) I don't expect to hear next doors TV. The noise was so bad in the first room we were given (which apparently, although on the top floor, has a "loft" room above it from where the noise was coming) that we were moved for the remaining 3 nights.
We couldn't be moved on the first night as the place was booked solid.
Staff were very helpful and apologetic although I got the impression that this wasn't the first time they had faced this issue. Perhaps someone needs to take a look at the soundproofing through the roof.
We ate one meal at Henrys Restuarant and were very pleased with it.
The location is simply ideal and the view from our (small) window over the harbour was glorious (especially with all the Sydney to Hobart yachts in). I'm not sure that I would want one of the inward looking rooms.
Hot water in the bathroom could be an issue at times (it often wasn't so much hot as warmer than tepid).
For these prices we certainly wouldn't return and get the feeling that the place is trading too much off its architecture and artwork on the walls and forgetting that first and foremost it's a hotel!

1 Thank Missi0nary