“The need for up front payment said it all”
Review of Harrington's 102

Harrington's 102
Ranked #45 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I am incensed by the experience I had at this hotel. I booked for 7 days and was asked to pay upfront on arrival. I had booked through bookings.com. I approached the woman at the hotel on the day after my arrival and told her I wished to change my plans and wished to leave on the Saturday (3 days away) The woman said I would have to cancel through booking.com or she would lose the fee she paid for each night. I asked about contacting them but was given no help. Although the hotel has internet its only available in the foyer and with your own laptop. I tried to find an email address for the booking company but couldn't. I had to phone them in the UK. I was at a conference for two days and I had no opportunity to phone until the Friday night. In the meantime we had agreed that if someone came in for a room she could let mine and also that she could put it on the internet as available. However these regular conversations with the woman indicated she was more concerned about getting someone else in than how I could resolve the situation. I was given to understand that if bookings.com agreed I was able to have my money refunded. Bookings.com were happy to cancel and refund but needed to check with the hotel. When they did they were told that the hotel needed 72 hours notice from bookings.com. This of course meant that I was unable to cancel. As soon as I tried to have a conversation about this and point out I had let her know 72 hours before the woman raised her voice and talked over me. She was also very rude.
I have travelled all over the world and generally I find that hotels factor in the changing requirements of tourists and I have not had trouble with changing plans. At this hotel I felt as if I was there for the hotel's benefit than the othe way around. I was also trapped by the upfront payment which I note on this site is not an unusual experience for guests at this hotel. There is no attempt at servfice - just the basic minimum at the least cost to the owners.I noted that the rooms were described as small and they were. They were clean and had most things in them. The walls are however paper thin and noisy guests can keep you awake as can showers at all times of the day and night. I would not like to be caught in a fire there as there was no way out except the stairs - the windows are glass bricks. The breakfast is basic to say the least and although the booking form asked for dietary preferences the hotel does not supply anything other than breakfasat cereal and toast. Apparently even a boiled egg would require a licence and other food is too perishable!

I would stronglyt recommend against this hotel

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Pat W
There are newer reviews for Harrington's 102

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at the Harrington's from Oct.1st to Oct 5th 2012. This trip was given to us by our 5 girls for my birthday! We went with some doubts after reading so many negative reviews by other people but in the end decided to treat it as an adventure.
We arrived very early (our flight got in at 7AM) and on arrival at the hotel just asked if we could leave our luggage behind the counter until check-in as we didn't want to cart it around all day. There was no problem with that.
When we finally got into our room, we thought, WOW, not a great deal of room but more than adequate and the bathroom was a very nice size. Split system air-conditioning made it very comfortable. The bed was divine...I wanted to take it home with me! Tea and coffee and milk available in room. So close to the CBD. It was fantastic. We walked everywhere. Public transport is unbelievably good. $4.80 per day to travel on any and every bus all day, getting on and off as you want! Why hire a car in Hobart? No parking hassles here!
Our hostess was lovely and we had many enjoyable chats over breakfast with her. Nothing was too much of a problem. I don't know what some of these people writing reviews expect in life but they should not be expecting the Ritz! They probably couldn't afford it anyway....so stop complaining!!!!
On our last day, we had to be out by 10AM...normal time anywhere! We asked again to leave our bags behind the counter as our plane didn't leave until 10PM. Shuttle bus would be picking up us at 7PM. Again no problem. The day turned out very cold and miserable and when our hostess spotted us in a cafe trying to get warm she told us to get back to the hotel and stay there where it was warm until pick-up time! She had been worried about us all day! Now that is service!
We had a very enjoyable stay at Harrington's and would go back again for the comfort, closeness to the CBD and the friendly owners. We enjoyed it!
To people who wrote negative reviews, I would say, I don't know what you expect when you stay in places like this but since 2009 the owners here have done a lot of work to bring this up to a very comfortable standard and I would not hesitate to recommend one of the standard rooms to anyone! I have not seen one of the small doubles so can not comment on them...obviously a bit smaller...but if you are only there for one night, you are only looking for a bed anyway!
The only reccommendation I would make to the owners would be to add tissues and a teatowel to each of the rooms! Well, I like to make sure all the cups etc are done before I leave the room and that's rather difficult with no teatowel! But, again no big deal...and to all the whingers,I got over it!
Hope the girls send us back there again next year!
We loved it!

Room Tip: If you require a double room, go for the Standard Double it has a bit more room. If you are only the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I booked 2 rooms via the net, 1 for 2 nights and 1 for 1 night, according to it there were only "compact" rooms available for the nights we wanted, appart from 1 balcony room which was something like $180 per night. WELL, compact is the understatment of the century.... couldnt open the door and get into the room if the bathroom door was open,unless you were super skinny, NO window only glass bricks where one should be, heat pump, thank god, which we put onto air con so that we had some air circulating. Bathroom advertised as marble, woopy do, so tiny, no face washers or hairdryer, you could hardly move in the shower. IN our other room, it stank,it smelt like the sewer, toput it politly, even room deodoriser didnt help... Back to the room itself, couldnt stretch out your arm when in bed because the wall was in the way, lucky to be 8 inches each side of the bed, so no bed side tables, the heat pump was plugged in by an extention cord, I had to unplug that to plug in the so called, bedside lamp, which was stuck on the wall and didnt even work. It was dirty and mouldy in places,you could see where things had been taken off walls but hadnt been repaired or painted, the phone to get intouch with reception, didnt work in either room . The tiny jug of milk in the fridge in one of the rooms, had a film on it, so no saying how long it had been in there for. We should have gone and complainedt, and I dont know why, but didnt... Our biggest concern was that the was only 1 way in and out of the building, via the stairs, oh yes we had to drag ourselves and luggage up 4 flights of stairs, NO LIFT. With NO window in the room, and only the stairs, WHAT IF THERE WAS A FIRE???? How the hell do you get out ??????? IS THAT LEGAL??? The only concelation was that the mattress was comfy, there was certainly nothing else even remotely good about the Harrington. I wouldnt even let my dogs stay there, their bed is bigger than our whole room was. oh and cleaner...... We couldnt put up with it for the second night, So we decided to book into something better, being to polite and embarrassed to say the real reason that we werent staying the second night, god only knows why,I told the lady at reception, who is not proffessional at all,that I was sick and we had to leave. I had paid up front for the two nights, and knew that there was a cancellation fee, but apon asking for my money back, which was only for 1 room for the second night, i was told that you have to give 72 hours notice, um a bit hard when you have already been there 1 night. I could have got into a real doozy of an argument, but the stupid impolite woman on the other side of the counter was getting very agro with me, so I kept my cool and told her that that is just not right, to put it in terms that I can put in print. Her excuse was that she wouldnt have time to readvertise the room on the net. This happened before checkout time and check in isnt before 2pm... It was supposed to be nearly booked out but we only saw 2 other people there and they were in the room next to ours. When we got back to our room the first night at about 12.30am their door was chocked open with the rubbish bin. Very strange, were they too claustrophobic to sleep with their door shut??? No parking, on the street in front if your lucky, which means putting money in the meter all the time, or round the corner theres a small car park you can pay $9 for all day, but only once all the workers have left to go home so that theres space...I could go on and on and its all BAD, I intend on taking this further with consumer affairs and the ombudsman if need be to try and get our money back for the second night, that stupid inpolite receptionist,cleaner,manager what ever she is meant to be, could do with getting intouch with a good PR company to learn how to run the place properly. AND if there is another owner of this disgusting establishment, you need to get rid of her... Anyway, we had REAL luxury accommodation the second night at The Wool Store, it was absolutly beautiful. You could do with going there lady and having a look and learn what true luxury accommodation is and how to treat people.... MY ADVISE IS TO NEVER STEP FOOT OVER THEIR PRETENTIOUS MARBLE FRONT STEPS.......

Room Tip: check the reviews before booking.....
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank linda l
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Minimalist says it all about this hotel.
It has no service, no lift, no furniture in the room and no windows.
The sole staff member acts as receptionist, cleaner and kitchenhand.
The free cereal and toast breakfast was the only positive. Treat as a last resort only.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank wadefes
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Stayed here on a Wofif deal. Advertises as luxury but in no way is. Small room and the bathroom is nicer than the room.

Very noisy. Can hear others showering loudly and clearly.

Apparently there is a breakfast. Did not ask. Figured may have to pay given the wotif mystery deal and may as well have it at the Qantas Club.

Would not stay here again. Better off to pay a bit more and get a lot more.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed January 21, 2012

My partner found the staff to be a bit rude and did not explain things such as the "trick" opening the door. Room was ok but bathroom was way yoo small. Balcony room was supposed to have harbour views but only saw rooftops and cranes. No car parking so metered parks were her only option.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Mike S
Reviewed December 31, 2011

This is the worst night my partner and I have expereinced. The room was small, with no window, dusty and the matress old and uneven. Anything that had in the past broken was left unfixed. Several of the channels of the TV did not receive reception and the cord was sticky taped across the bench. We did not bother to sample the free continental breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family