“Value for money in city”

Travelodge Hotel Hobart
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Value for money in city”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

It is situated just at the edge of the city centre and walking distance to most attractions in the city. There was an online promotion on the room rate and it was a very good value stay. We arrived at the hotel early in the morning and couldn't check in to our rooms yet. But they helped to stow our luggages while we explored the city. By the time we got back, it was 9pm and we were more than happy to get our room key and rest.

The room was spacious, clean and the mini kitchenette was a plus for us. Toilet and bath was rather small but adequate for our short stay. Amenities in the room were working fine. Bed was comfortable and it was quiet. We were really ecstatic that it was a good online deal that we got for our 3 nights stay.

Only problem we had was that there were no convenience stores or supermarkets nearby. The nearest Woolworths was a 15 min walk away and after a whole day of walking, it would be nice to have one next door or just across the street maybe.

Overall a great stay and would stay here again if we return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jessica B, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear doopy81

Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review about your recent stay at Travelodge Hobart.

I am pleased that you found Travelodge Hobart to be in an excellent location and that you appreciated the facilities the rooms have to offer.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Travelodge Hobart in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This was one of the cheaper options in Hobart and was in a great location. The room had recently been refurbished and was very nice and clean. The bathroom was absolutely tiny. There was not enough room for someone to be on the toilet while another person was in the shower as the two were right next to each other and only separated by a thin shower curtain. As others have said, the slope of the bathroom floor isn't quite enough which means the water from the shower goes on the bathroom floor.

The carpark fills up quickly in the evenings and is incredibly tight which means it is very difficult to get in and out of parks.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TravellerKRH

I was delighted to read that you found the hotel to be very nice and found the hotel to be in a great location for exploring Sydney.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Travelodge Hobart has its positives and negatives, but overall was a good place to stay. If its few niggles can be sorted out, then this has potential of being a really great hotel. My wife, son (8.5 months) and I stayed in a standard twin for 5 nights while travelling Tasmania. On the positive side, the price was great for the 5 nights. We booked through their website and got a discount for staying more than 3 nights). The hotel - including the room - were clean, quiet and modern. The location in relation to the city, shops, etc., as well as Salamanca market is fantastic. It is all within walking distance. We tried the continental breakfast on the last day before check-out and were very happy with the quality - though it was a bit pricey for something every morning - even if you take advantage of the cheaper price when paying in advance rather than on the morning. The negatives start with the car park - which is both limited and tiny. Spaces are really small and although I am OK with this - as well as my parking ability, on more than 1 occasion there were guests that took up more than 1 space, meaning even less spaces to park. There is "overflow parking" which requires you to move your car before 7:30am for reserved people, and also plenty of on-street parking walking distance within the hotel - though much of this is metered - so beware. The next negative was the lifts. There are 2 lifts in this hotel and they are both really small (when taking into consideration we had a pram for our son) and also, they took a really long time to arrive to take you to your desired floor. We often found ourselves waiting at the lifts several for minutes at a time. We would press the button, and then watch as 1 lift went past our floor up, and then past our floor down while we were waiting to go to the ground floor. The other lift would then arrive after a few minutes to take you down. The slow lifts actually meant we didn't check-out before 10am and although there was no penalty for this, it was not our intention to check-out late. Really strange, and really annoying... Another negative is that there is only 1 washing machine and 1 dryer in the guest laundry - not enough for the size of the hotel. 1 complaint we had during our stay was that on arrival of our 6th floor room we were able to open the window (no more than 15cm for safety) to allow air flow, but from day 2 onwards, the window was locked! This made the room stuffy and we had to go with the air conditioning instead - which was OK, but not as good as a natural breeze from outside would have been. Although the room was clean and comfortable, it was pretty small. We had a standard twin with a double/queen (?) bed plus a single bed. We had a portacot for our son, and the pram, and with our bags on the single bed, the room was full. There is a small desk and a tiny bench on top of the tiny fridge. A couple more meters of space would have gone a long way to being more comfortable. Lastly on the negatives, the bathroom was really small and when taking a shower, it would completely wet everything in the room. This was... undesirable. Overall there are good and bad points with this hotel, but the good outweighs the bad - in my opinion - so I rate this hotel with thumbs up - but if some of the negatives could be dealt with, it would make stays easier and more enjoyable for guests. I'll certainly consider this hotel in future visits to Hobart, but some of those negatives might see me visit another hotel if I can get a similar price elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sixfootscott
Dear sixfootscott

I was delighted to read that you found the hotel to be a good place to stay. We are currently working on improving our lifts and appreciate your patience whilst we undergo this.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Was confused on trying to find hotel as it changed ownership the day before so I was looking for the Leisure Inn. However, once I worked out the situation, the hotel proved to be good value for money. Comfortable bed, clean room, reception staff were helpful and it was useful that at reception they had a fridge where you could buy water, milk and basics as there is no convenience store close by.
Car park was a bit of a mission as it is very very tight which if you are in a hire car can give you the 'excess' concerns, but at least it does offer asking.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Jessica B, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Ali S

Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable comments for Travelodge Hobart.

I am delighted to read that you found the hotel to be good value for money and our team to be helpful.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Travelodge Hobart again in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Stayed in this hotel from 22nd Nov. to 26th Nov. Overall, could rate this hotel as a 3.5* hotel.

Love the hotel for its location, and room space pretty okay to accomodate 3 adults. Guest laundry at basement was easy to use. Room pillow is good.

Service by staff is okay, but need to be able to give more infos. Like when I asked them where I can take the Red-Decker, where to take the Saturday Hopper Service (Free bus service for tourists), and where I can take the coach to Launceston, all they can tell me is... They don't know or never heard of such service. That is not helpful to tourists especially from overseas. Another thing which I wonder how guests could survive through their stay is the bathroom! Which is so small that whenever I wanna bend down to scrub my legs and toes, I'll have to get myself stuck or almost knock my head against the tap (Mind you, I'm only 60kg!! which is like average size for adults, right?!) So, when 1 of my friend who is like 80kg, she practically gotta stand there straight, not moving anywhere if she doesn't want to bath with the shower curtain touching her body everywhere. This really needs improvement!! Bathroom is always drenched after every bath, which could be dangerous for elderly.

Beside that, is I'm happy to see that they have a kitchenette in the room initially, but was wondering why they state there that their kitchenette provides only a basin and a microwave and a microwave. I thought it might be a typo-error but it's really a basin+ cutleries+ microwave. That's a kitchenette, no stove or electric hotplate provided at all.

So, I would say that it's an average to good hotel in Hobart.

Room Tip: Staying for location, choose this. Ask for higher floors will be good.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear coolman927

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay at Travelodge Hobart.

I am glad that you found the hotel to be in a great location for exploring Hobart.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Travelodge Hobart in the future.

South Pasadena, CA
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed at the Travelodge Hobart for two nights in November 2013 on a package, a Saturday and a Sunday night. It was the Leisure Inn.

The location is at the corner of Macquarie Street and Harrington Street in the Central Business District. It is served by the Airporter bus for A$17 each way.

I got room 903, which is a corner room with a panoramic view. The view is stunning when sunny and you can see across the bay.

My room was good sized and well equipped with water heater, microwave, dishes, cups and glasses. The lighting is particular fine. The bed was comfortable and the sheets and towels clean and thick. There is a good work desk. The flat screen TV is about 32 inches. The advanced heating-air conditioning system works fine. When the drapes are drawn, it was the darkest room I have been in.

Internet connection is $10 an hour or $20 for 24 hours. Breakfast is A$18.

There are, however, some issues. The shower curtain does not keep water in the enclosure so the entire bathroom floods every time I showered. The hotel knows about it but there is no short-term solution.

There are two small elevators which can make your wait for them rather tedious.

On the weekend the area is not busy. By accident I learned about the Shamrock, a pub two blocks away. The Shamrock serves bar meals, huge plates, for A$10. They are tasty and I ate three meals there. A Woolworth's supermarket is about seven blocks away.

The hotel tries to upsell on the breakfast and the idea of not cleaning your room, for the benefit of an extra hour before check-out. The one day the clean staff came in, she replaced the towels and emptied the waste basket, washed two or three cups and that was it although I opted for regular cleaning.

The hotel caters to tour groups and individual bookings may be difficult.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hobart
Best Western Hobart
#15 of 47 in Hobart
Quest Savoy
Quest Savoy
#18 of 47 in Hobart

Been to Travelodge Hotel Hobart? Share your experiences!