“Awful. Couldn't wait to check out - but some rooms are better than others! Choose wisely”
Review of Quest Waterfront

Quest Waterfront
Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I got into Hobart incredibly late due to being diverted to Launceston and then having to bus it to Hobart and the Quest staff member was willing to wait around for me but whoa!!! After over 11.5 hours in the air and on a bus I was then in the mood for a nice room........Well! I can safely say that, after staying in countless hotels week in week out for the past 11 years, this has to be one of the smallest and most disgusting rooms I have ever had the misfortune to stay in. Claustrophobia here I come.

I got this teeny tiny room that looked like a monks cell - in fact that is the first thing I thought as I opened the door. Long and narrow with practically no room to move. Hardly any furniture and very spartan in furnishings. Compact and claustrophobic to be exact. I just stood there and nearly wept after such a harrowing day and then be assigned to THIS. I just hate being cramped up. I need room to breathe. I was pretty angry that I'd been told I had a nice room. What the???

Worse still is that it had a teeny tiny window, that didn't open and I didn't have any view - just a concrete pillar of then building across the way. This place is quite frankly AWFUL. If it hadn't been for the late hour and the niceness of the staff member who waited for me, I would quite honestly have found somewhere else to stay. Thank goodness I was only here two nights.

The bathroom looks like it hasn't been updated since the 1980's and was very small and pokey with shower over the bath. The teeny tiny wardrobe was a joke, with an ironing board taking up space where I wanted to hang my clothes. So I took the stupid thing out and laid it down alongside the bed as there wasn't anywhere else to put it. The so-called spa bath was also a joke. Didn't look big enough to relax in.

But the big thing was noise for me from people getting in and out of the lift as my room was right opposite the lift. Not a good spot to be. I also could hear all the noise from adjoining rooms, people clearing their noses and god knows what. As for the people upstairs. It sounded like they were moving furniture at 5am. Great. And then on Wednesday night the noise from the pub!! Unbelievable! Tried to ignore it but couldn't. Is this place REALLY triple glazed? I think not. Maybe the "special" corner rooms but not these "pleb" rooms.

To top it off, the bed was way too hard and uncomfortable for me so - despite the fact I had been traveling since 6am - I couldn't sleep. And every time I did manage to fall into some sort of slumber the first night this weird "jackhammer" noise started up. Didn't go for long but it was enough to wake me up. I can only think it was people switching something on in the other rooms. I don't know but it was very annoying. As for the second night - the noise from the pub was unbearable. I tried ear plugs but to no avail. Way too noisy. This hotel is SUPPOSED to be protected against noise? Huh, obviously NOT. Not happy

Meanwhile, on the other hand. My colleague had a corner room Room 21. Very nice. Lots of space, two lovely windows with window seats. A huge bathroom with separate bath AND away from noise of the hotels down there. If I had been in a room like that, my review would be very different

I am a little annoyed because at the time of check in I asked if I had a nice room and was assured I did. Obviously I didn't and, as I said, if it hadn't been so late I would have made more of a fuss. More so once I saw the room that my colleague was in. Didn't seem fair that we both paid same price but he got the better room.

Thanks very much Quest Waterfront for a very unpleasant stay. Hopefully I won't ever have to stay here again and if I ever have the misfortune to stay here again, I will make sure I have a corner room but I will try my best not to stay here again.

But if you stay here try to get a corner room and the ones that end with a "1" (21, 31, 41) appear to have harbour views.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room especially the ones that end with a "1" as they appear to have water...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank BrisCaz
QuestWaterfront, Front Office Manager at Quest Waterfront, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear BrisCaz,

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your stay at Quest Waterfront. We appreciate all feedback and we are very sorry that your stay was not to your satisfaction. We are very pleased that you found the reception staff to be so helpful it is one thing that we pride ourselves on.

In regards to the room in which you were staying in; this was a Hotel Room and it is smaller than the Studio Apartment that your colleague was upgraded to hence the difference. Had we been upgrade you as well we would have and if you had brought your issues to us after the first night we would have done everything that we possibly could to make your stay a more enjoyable one.

All rooms are triple glazed to try to prevent noise however it is not foolproof and sometimes loud noises are amplified in small streets. We try to prevent any impact on our guests due to the surrounding businesses in the area and we are in close talks with them constantly to keep this to a minimum.

I would like to offer you a complimentary night when you next stay in Hobart and we will ensure that we upgrade you into one of our studio rooms. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly should you wish to take us up on this offer or you wish to discuss this any further.

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2014

What a location, right in the social heart of Hobart with charge back options at many restaurants we checked in here on a recent business trip.

Check in staff are as friendly as friendly can be, unfortunately the impressions soon changed as we entered warm hallways with no ventilation and loud elevators.

The rooms had the same decor colours as the Miami Dolphin NFL colours (peach and baby blue), toilet was running, iron did not work and a light was out. Not to mention the noise from neighbouring night clubs, pipes from floor above and general noise from floor.

Bed was comfortable and spa was nice.

All in all I would probably not stay here again until it is renovated, one of our party had a refurb room looking over the water (same price) and was more than acceptable.

Make sure you book a car space.

Room Tip: Water facing away from the lift.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Traveling_Aussie10
QuestWaterfront, Front Office Manager at Quest Waterfront, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Tavelling_Aussie10

Thank you for your feedback, we value all feed back as training and improvement tools. As you said our staff are extremley friendly and helpful, customer service is something that is very important to us.

indeed you are right that there are some rooms that have been refirbished and we are currently waiting on our delivery of furniture and soft furnishings to complete the process. As the saying goes "rome was not built in a day!"

I would like to invite you to return and stay with us once this is completed as I am sure that you will notice the difference.

Once again, thank you for your feedback
Peta

Travelers are raving about these Hobart hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

My first impression was outdated, small bathroom, gloomy and overpriced (we paid over $200 per night). There were no fan in the bathroom and no sink in our kitchenette. Small window that cannot be opened and NO free wifi as it is available for corporate guest only. This apartment desperately need to be renovated or refurbished.

The good thing about this service apartment are :
- Good location, walking distance to Salamanca market, waterfront, docks, and CBD.
- Friendly and helpful staff
- Clean

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Siefung
QuestWaterfront, Front Office Manager at Quest Waterfront, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Siefung

Thank you for your feedback, we welcome all types of feedback at Quest Waterfront. As previously mentioned, mid to late 2014 sees a lot of changes coming through at Quest Waterfront. All rooms will have a makeover. it sounds as tho you stayed in one of out Hotel Suites, which dont have the kitchenette, they are only in our larger apartments.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This was supposed to be a "serviced apartment" however we were informed after arriving that there would be no servicing of the rooms on 2 of the 5 nights we booked (due to public holidays). I believe either the hotel should offer servicing of rooms every day or advise customers prior to booking that they will not be getting what they expect.

The rooms were large and comfortable enough however the lighting was poor. A very long room with only one small window at one end.

Price was quite expensive ($250+ per night) for a place of this standard (however admittedly we stayed in the highest of high seasons).

Location was excellent! VERY close to the waterfront and Salamanca Place and the CBD.

Room Tip: Rooms on the corners (numbers ending in '5' I believe) are better because they have more win...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank StuieG
Dear StuieG

Thank you for your feedback, all feedback is welcome at Quest Waterfront. You did indeed stay with us in the highest of high seasons. The rooms that you mention being on the "corners"" are indeed our family rooms which are a lot larger and yes therefore have more windows. We have been recently experimentinig with reducing our carbon footprint, and looking at lower wattage globes, however, it appears that this has not been sucessful and I will pass your feedback on.

Servicing on public holidays is not done on Sundays or public holidays in line with Quest national, and we are certainly happy to still offer you this if requested on these days.

Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last night. Parked out front while checking in in afternoon. Within 4 mins it took to check in went outside had parking ticket. Not a great start. Room very dark low voltage energy saving lights every where.. Room was like a cave. The one window wouldn't open as it has triple glazing to muffle the noise from the pub across the road.. Still very noisy on a wed night... Room clean. Bathroom dated. For the $169 a night price it was expensive for what I got... Limited on site parking available.. Look out for getting parking tickets out front while checking in! Personally wouldn't stay here again as much better places to stay in area... Should be converted into a backpackers...

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Whitey65

Thank you for your feedback. All feedback is welcomed at Quest Waterfront as it gives us a chance to improve. I am sorry that you recieved a parking ticket, unfortunatley this one is out of our control and you are right that parking certainly is limited. Best way to combat this is to contact us directly and let us know of your parking needs whilst you are staying with us as we make it a priority to work with you and your needs.
We have taken on board your feedback regarding lighting and this will be recitifed with higher wattage globes. In mid to late 2014 all rooms will be recieving a make over and we would love to welcome you back to Quest Waterfront to inspect our changes

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stayed 1 night in Studio room and whilst spacious the room was incredibly long quite spacious but with virtually no furniture and a small window that couldn't be opened which resulted in the room being stuffy as hell and everyone having dry throats and a terrible nights sleep. The bes are all together which was fine for our group but if you want some privacy you won't find it here. Staff were wonderfully and is over the road from noisey pub but on a plus is in a good location opposite the waterfront precinct .

Room Tip: Don't stay Wed to Sat night as pub is open oposite on these days and thumps all night
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
QuestWaterfront, Front Office Manager at Quest Waterfront, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear PaulChris275

Thank you for your feedback, we do appreciate it when guests let us know of any imporvements that you think we could make. We are in a shared space with many other businesses one being a Pub. We do however, attempt to work together to ensure that all can use this space to their full potential. We do suggest that if you are a light sleeper that you request a room on a high level or the opposite side to the pub. Regarding the room being stuffy there is most certainly freshair vents that pump and circulate fresh air into all of our rooms and we would have been happy to show you the location of the switch to operate this. Our studio deluxes are large and spacious, however, if it is a little more privacy that you are after, we do have family rooms available.

I am glad that you found our staff to be wonderful, they are a great bunch of people!

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

We pre booked for 5 people. All checked in together and went to room, which was clean, spacious and in a great location! I called to enquire for a bed for our 5th person and was accused of only booking for one and ordered to come down immediately to rectify the bill, the staff members tone was aggressive and uncalled for. This ruined the stay for me. We used the laundry facilities which you have to pay to use but unfortunately several items of our clothing were stolen from the machine.
In the morning the staff member again asked for us to pay extra. We showed our online booking receipt which clearly stated we booked for 5 and yet no apology from the staff.
It was a great location and very quiet. But I won't ever return.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Stephoutside

Thank you for you feedback, we appreciate it as it is our biggest learning tool. Iam sorry that your stay was ruined. This will be borught up with the staff member in question and they will be offered further training to rectify these issues and ensure that it does not happen with any other guests. I would like to offer you a complimentry nights accommodation if you are back in Hobart and you are more than welcome to contact me directly about this or if you wish to discuss this further.

Again I am sincerly sorry that you ere unhappy with you stay