“Accommodation”
Review of Quest Waterfront

Quest Waterfront
Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Very nice stay. Thanks to Rochelle @ reception for all her friendly assistance. Very close to all attractions for showing USA visitors around. Will recommend to all! Cheers Toni Davis

Room Tip: Family apartment worked well. However a bit noisey with baby next to hotel across the road. But luck...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
QuestWaterfront, General Manager at Quest Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for feedback and apologies for the time it has taken to respond. We recently upgraded our online feedback platform which has caused several delays. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay with us was and allowing us to rectify any concerns that you had.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Firstly the positives:
- Great location: right around the corner from Salamanca, across the road from the wharf
- Good service and attitude from the staff

Unfortunately, I think the Waterfront has some things running against it:
- Rooms seem to be in desperate need of renovation
- There are pillars in the centre of the room (we've stayed twice, and have experienced the same thing) - this means that there is less space to move around and use
- We had a one bedroom apartment, and the bedroom was terribly small, and seemed like a bit of an afterthought.
- Based on what you get, this is terribly overpriced - on a par with central Sydney or Melbourne (of a much higher standard)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Dear Paulhb,

Reviewed May 13, 2012

On a recent trip to Tasmania, our friends booked a studio apartment for four people at the Quest Waterfront. By the time we had parked the car my friend had taken one look at our accommodation and was back at reception to enquire if perhaps we'd been given the wrong room. Unlike the description and photo, our overnight accommodation was an ugly, depressing, tired, cramped room with mismatched furniture, an old decrepit TV jammed in a ridiculously small living area, a hideous bathroom, and equally hideous kitchenette. While there was an additional small bedroom containing two single beds, our queen bed was part of the open living area and a huge floor to ceiling column took up even more space. There was a pub (with loud pumping music) across the road, and alas, our room was just above where taxis picked up loud pub patrons in a back lane up until around 4am in the morning. The "triple glazed windows" did nothing to alleviate the noise. The staff could offer us nothing else except perhaps a room at a Quest right across town. As there were four of us and we'd planned to visit Salamanca Markets and dine at Constitution Dock, we decided to suck it up and stay where we were....albeit under sufferance.

On the plus side, staff were friendly and pleasant, parking was cheap, and the location was fantastic - close to Salamanca Markets and Constitution Dock. I, however, would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the pub as possible, and beware the taxis rank in the lane on the wester...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank annabellequinn
Peta R, Front Office Manager at Quest Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Dear Annabellequinn,

Thank you for taking time to leave feedback for us, we really do appreciate it. We are regretful and disapointed that on this occassion we have not met your standards.

I am sorry that you were disturbed during the night from the noise from the neighbouring buildings and the street/car noise. We have been working very closely with our "neighbours" to ensure that noise levels are kept to a standard that suits all parties.

We are currently in the process of refirbishing all of our rooms, however, as I am sure you can appreciate it is impossible to have all rooms refirbished at once.

Also a great tip, it is possible, and we do accommodate where possible, rooms requested away from "the pub"

Once again thank you for your feedback
Kind regards
Peta

Reviewed May 5, 2012

When booking this hotel was unsure what we were getting looking at previous reviews we were happily surprised when we arrived at the spacious room they had given us ,we had a sink in our kitchenette,the staff were always helpful ,our room was opposite the hotel and we were there on the Friday and Saturday night when the music was very loud outside but once in our room we found it didn't annoy us and we were able to sleep o.k.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Kcivk,

Reviewed April 24, 2012

Although not luxurious, the Quest Waterfront is simple but perfectly livable for a short stay, below are some of my impressions:
Pros:
Room was perfectly clean.
Staff at the front desk is really nice and helpful, specially the women.
Since I was on business they gave me complimentary Wi-Fi.
Location is great, close to the city center and Salamanca, but not noisy.
Cons:
The absence of a sink in the kitchenette is annoying, it forces you to use the bathroom sink (small and inconvenient) to clean or fill.
Closet is small and hanging space inconvenient.
The waterfront is actually two blocks away and there is really no view from the (small) windows.
Lock on the door looked unsafe (maybe there are no break-ins in Hobart)

Since I got an internet promotional rate I would say my stay was very good value.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear Diego_W,

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Last year my husband and I booked a room at the quest savoy for a romantic getaway without the kids. We got a call a few days before and was told a pipe had broken in our room, to they were upgrading us for free to quest waterfront. When we got there we found out or 'upgrade' was for a family room. Wasn't very romantic at all. Our tv was broken, it was pretty grubby and the shower had zero water pressure. Worst shower of my life. The location was great, the bed was comfortable, and staff was friendly. Even though it is on the waterfront, you don't get to really see the water from your room. Overall it was a pretty average experience.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Pagetraveller

Dear Pagetraveller,

Reviewed March 21, 2012

I wrote a review about my stay last Nov., but it is lost in the internet ether. I had booked a rm at the Quest Savoy, but was invited to 'upgrade' to the Quest Waterfront. The best element of the QW is location--you can't get much closer to the harbour, MONA ferry, & Salamanca Square. There is free parking. Rooms do not face the harbour.
My room was an apartment, comprising a small bedrm with twin beds and an open-plan area with TV/living area, kitchen area, and alcove with double bed. The bathroom was dated but large.
A number of small but irritating problems cropped up: curdled milk in the fridge, missing battery in the remote control, and worst of all, air-conditioning on the blink. The front desk staffer was helpful and provided a fan--essential, since the windows do not open.
When I left, I forgot that I had put an unopened bottle of wine in the fridge. I notified the front desk a couple of hrs later and was told to check the next day. When I did, I was told no bottle has been found.
I received an apology for all the problems and invited to stay there again because I would get a discount next time. It would have been reasonable to give me a discount this time as compensation for a sub-standard hotel experience?

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mardurh

Dear Mardurh

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, although we are extremely disapointed that we did not meet you standards on this visit. As this occured prior to my time as the Front Office Manager, I am assuming that you were moved from Quest Savoy to Quest Waterfront due to a maintainence issue.

If you are ever in Hobart again, I would like to offer you a nights accommodation at Quest Savoy with a free bottle of wine to compensate for the wine issues on your last stay, I will personally guarentee that you will not be moved properties again.

If you would like to discuss this further or you would like to accept the above offer, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you once again for taking the time to leave feedback and kindest regards
Peta