“Good location and value, with slight hiccups”

Mayfair Plaza Motel
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
“Good location and value, with slight hiccups”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at about 8pm on a Friday night and there was no one there at the reception desk. However, arrangements have been made to access a secure box containing the key, using a pin code. We had no issues doing this, but we were accidentally given the wrong key!! We opened the door of a room that was already occupied by someone, and so this error was quite embarrassing on our part and also the guest who was already in the room. The owner was apologetic and dealt with it very quickly though.

We were quite happy with the room - it was large and contained the most basic things you need. The bed was a bit hard, but the sheets were clean, and an extra blanket and pillows were available in the cupboard. It was nice to arrive to a room that was already warm as well, and also had free wifi.

There are lots of nice restaurants nearby. Me Wah which is just around the corner, and All Thai, which is within Mayfair Plaza are worth trying.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is facing the courtyard, if you prefer a room with a window.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NatashaCruz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I have given this place four stars. I stayed for four nights. I arrived late but had been emailed the details of how to get it in and that was all fine and worked! I was super impressed when I arrived (it was very cold) to find both a light on in my room, the drapes closed and the heat pump going. Bliss! It is a shame the beds are not more comfy...there is a really ridge in the middle (clearly two beds pushed together) but there was only me so I just hung out on one side! There was a spare blanket, that I used and I had to sus out the heat pump! Once I was warm, I slept better. I had a broken TV remote and that out a damper on telly as I ended up having to use the TV ( I did mention it but it was obviously as good as it gets!).

Talking of staff though, the first morning I was there I went to the Coles (directly across the road, there is also a Woolworth's a block away) and got supplies. I then went to 'check in' proper once reception opened at 8am. That was a great experience, the woman I met was lovely, chatty and accommodating, I felt very welcome. Very close by are two good restaurants I tried - Me Wah and All Thai.

The thing that lets my review down is the cleanliness, there were a number of dirty marks/hairs in my room. Overall it looked clean and the fridge was clean, it was just the bathroom/spare blanket that let it down. I would stay again as I think it is incredible value for money in terms of location.

Stayed June 2013
5 Thank AntarcticChick
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The setting for this hotel is quite different from the usual Set in a square around a central courtyard, it has shops and restaurants around it, The staff were excellent - friendly, helpful and had good knowledge of tourist attractions and how to get there. The Mayfair is close to Battery Point, Salamanca Markets. The rooms are spacious and very clean. There is crockery, cutlery and we had a microwave. Coles is just across the road. The "All Thai" restaurant is excellent. Also, the wifi is free, as is the laundry. I highly recommend the Mayfair Plaza!

Room Tip: We preferred a room with a window with a good view - other rooms look out to the centre courtyard
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ColJoy2
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

This motel/hotel may seem a little unusual at the start. It is in a small office/business building which some office suites have been refurbished as motel suites. But what it lacks in style it fully makes up for in many different ways. The rooms are big - we stayed in a superior queen which has 2 queen beds so was fine for us (husband, wife and 8 & 6 yr old). Big bathroom with bath. They provided plates, bowls, cutlery, kettle & toaster and for a small $5 extra/night you can also get a microwave so you virtually get self contained at a fraction of the price. (And there is a table & 4 chairs in the room). Coles supermarket is next door. Fantastic restaurants just down stairs (Thai, Vietnamese, and the best German bakery I've been to outside Germany - worth booking just to have their bread and pastries for breakfast!). And it is on the Sandy Bay side of Battery Point so you are not paying Battery Point prices (about $100 less/night), but you are a stones throw (literally) from there. Staff are friendly and very helpful. Clean. What more can I say - highly recommended.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank apbubs
Fredrikstad, Norway
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Located in Sandy Bay, a 20 min walk from Salamanca Place, Mayfair Plaza is a good option for a stay in Hobart. Nearby sights include the famous Battery Park area and beaches. There is also a great burger place nearby, called Burger Got Soul. Very tasty and fresh.
The rooms were clean and had spacious rooms. There was only a window towards the outside atrium, with a lot of plants, and people could see right through, so we had to withdraw the curtains. The staff were very helpful.
No need to worry about the noice from Sandy Bay Road, but remember to ask for a room turning the other way.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed three nights on our recent holiday. The final night was a last minute booking when another property only about $20 cheaper turned out to be a disaster.
Theres a lot to like about this motel. The location is great, the rooms are quiet due the design of the property (none of the rooms are directly on the road). There are at least three wifi base stations covering the property (and the wifi is free). TV has good entertainment options. Staff very friendly. The guest laundry appears to be free (the driers are anyway) and our clothes were folded and returned to our room! On the first night, we had a late checkin, which means you need a code. I had two emails and then a phone call to make sure I knew what the prodedure was, which was attentive.

Room Tip: We stayed in two family rooms, both were excellent: clean and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Devonport, Australia
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have stayed at this motel on numerous occasions and have always enjoyed my many stays here. The motel was originally a small intimate shopping centre built around a central and pleasant atrium, the rooms being reconfigured later as motel rooms. This allowed spacious rooms to be developed in their place. The motel has plenty of off street parking available and is very centrally located in Sandy Bay Hobart and is close to the Casino and the many Cafes and Restaurants of Sandy Bay. Walking distance to Salamanca Place and the CBD is a bonus.
All in all, I can highly recommend this motel as a pleasant quiet and well appointed place to stay and the one I always choose if they have a room available.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends