“Affordable Apartments”

Grosvenor Court Apartments
Ranked #28 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here for one night and picked it because it was the only place available catering to a group of 4 people (we stayed in room 15).
The apartment was spacious, comfortable, simply decorated and I think the bathroom may had recently been renovated as it was modern decor that seemed a bit out of place with the basic nature of the apartment and chesterfield lounges.
The beds had nice, clean, modern bedding and I found mine comfortable (although I do like a harder mattress than some).
The property itself is an old-motel style with a common balcony/walkway past each room. I noticed the noise of other people talking/walking past the room does carry a bit and as it is a suburban street you get dogs barking, kids playing in neighbouring properties etc. There is ample parking both within the property and on the street if need be.
Reception was very helpful and stored our bags as we arrived early and when we came back we found them in the process of taking them up to our room. Reception closes at 6pm so do be aware of that if you've got a late check-in or want to borrow a DVD. Oh, and free wifi is included, which is great and was most welcome.
Location is great; as others have mentioned it is a very short walk to large supermarket, restaurants and bakeries/cafes and a long walk/short drive to the main centre of Hobart and Battery Point/Salamanca area.
It's not the Ritz but I would quite happily stay here again with a group as I felt it was pretty good value for money.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sail_far

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed in #14 and found both beds very uncomfortable, probably the original matresses.
The location was close to everywhere we wanted to go after utilisising the basic kitchen facilities for our breakfast.
Overall the management have maintained the grounds and building well and with a few improvements could be a good choice for the future.
Value for money at the moment would have to be average.

Room Tip: Avoid #14 as the beds are so uncomfortable.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank bazil10
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at this property five nights and there were some good points and some bad points.

The Good:
This property is in a great location, located one block back from the main road (Sandy Bay Road) so there is no traffic noise. It is in Sandy Bay and easy walking distance to a supermarket, cafes, restaurants and shops. We also found it a pleasant 15 minute (approximately) walk into the main centre of Hobart. Our studio apartment was pleasant enough although the decor, furnishings and bathroom are a little dated now.

The Bad:
On our first evening it was quite late when suddenly there was the most horrendous noise which sounded like a ships fog horn going off inside the room. We weren't sure what it was at first and then when it continued we figured out it was the water pipes rattling and vibrating when either the apartment next to us or above us (not sure which) turned their taps on (we were on the ground floor). Early (about 7.00am) the next morning when we were still in bed asleep it happened again. That morning we reported it to reception and she said she had heard something and would investigate. We discussed it for a while and said it could possibly be an airlock in the waterpipes. She said she would look at running all the taps to try and sort it. (Whether she did or not we don't know).

That night and the next morning there were no issues and we think this is probably because no one was in the offfending apartment that particular night because the next night it happened again and continued to happen morning and night for the rest of our stay. We couldn't report it to reception because it was a public holiday and it was closed, the day after this we had an early start and late finish going on a tour and reception was only open from about 8.30am to 6.00pm. Upon checking out we told reception (a different person this time) that we weren't impressed that an issue we reported after our first night hadn't been resolved. She apologised and said she just filled in for the owners and asked us for our email address and advised she would get the owners to email us. To date we have not received an email or any other contact.

So there are definitely some pro's and con's to staying at this property. You might need a set of ear plugs or ear defenders.

Room Tip: We were in studio apartment number 1.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lara F
Shane B, Owner at Grosvenor Court Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. The issue that you reported on the first morning of your stay was dealt with immediately that morning by our staff. Our plumber was notified and spent a couple of hours at the property investigating. We understood that the problem had in fact been rectified that day. It wasn’t until your checkout that we were informed that the problem had occurred again. Once again we actioned this the following morning and our plumbers returned. We apologise and regret that this incident dampened your stay. We hope on your next visit to Hobart we can provide you with a more enjoyable stay and the service we pride ourselves on.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Travelling as five adults requiring separate beds, we were not the easiest to accommodate for, but Grosvenor suited us with a wonderfully spacious apartment with large kitchen and lounge area.
Ideally, we would have liked to have been located a little closer to the centre of Hobart, but it's not too far to walk for most. Close to two big supermarkets and a few takeaways

Room Tip: Can't comment on the smaller apartments - my review is for their largest (three rooms with separ...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed for one night and found it to be a clean, well kept place. The receptionist working the night shift had my heater warming up the room when I arrived and walked me through everything in the room - very helpful. It is only a short distance from restaurants and the grocery store - maybe a five minute walk or so. The downside is the street where it is located has few street lamps, so it is a little difficult in the dark. Seeing that it was later when I arrived and I had a kitchenette, I made myself something after running to the supermarket and found the kitchenette to be well stocked with dishes and all appliances in working condition. The bed was comfortable and my room was quite spacious. I checked out around 9:30 am and the receptionist called me a cab upon request. Overall, a pleasant night spent with Grosvenor!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jennypenny28
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Initially impressed as we did not have high expectations with it being a 3 star hotel (we usually stay in 4 star hotels but everywhere else was booked). However first impressions were good - it looked more like a 3 plus star hotel plus it had a kitchenette and also had free off-road parking which was a bonus. The rooms looked clean and spacious and comfortable - although furnishings a bit tired and bathroom and shower old with raised shower base and curtain - water spurting all over the bathroom floor when you used it!. We could have put up with that BUT the experience got much worse in the end!! There were only 'tinnies' in the mini bar and NO wine at all or wine glasses. The room was very noisy (walls paper thin) and we were woken at 1.30 by people outside of the room next door making a racket and I couldn't get back to sleep for ages. The bed was also too hard (for me) - though that is a personal preference I know! However, I woke with an aching back. The worst bit for me though was having a freezing cold shower - it started hot then turned freezing cold and would not come back on. The reception also created a fuss when I had no cash to pay for the gin and tonic I had the previous night as they didn't want to put it on the credit card. They also offered no apology for the cold shower or the noise (though apparently the guests making the noise had offered their apologies to everyone at the hotel)! The receptionist had received other complaints about the noise apparently - so I was NOT the only one! These problems may have been a one off, but nevertheless it put me off ever staying again. Probably good value if you want an apartment experience without paying top dollar. Also its in Sandy Bay which is a nice area and not too far from Battery POint (though a drive rather than a walk). Close to restaurants and supermarket which is also a plus.

Room Tip: Take your ear plugs
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank janice s
Reviewed February 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights in this simple, clean and well-located service apartment. We had looked at several B&Bs and hotels before finding Grosvenor Court. Although an unpretentious property, we chose it because we felt the other choices were over-priced for a smaller city like Hobart.

Located in the Sandy Bay area, we weren't aware before arrival but were delighted to learn that a large Woolworths supermarket was just 100+ metres from the property's entrance - so we made full use of the apartment's kitchen. We were perhaps fortunate that our studio apartment had the common laundry on one side (closed at 6pm) and parking spaces on the other; so we didn't experience much noise.

One simple and immediate improvement can be made to the room. The furniture should be re-arranged so that the TV actually faces the double bed instead of placing it along the same wall as the headboard.

Overall, the property is good value for money if you don't want to spend as much money as for a room in Sydney or Melbourne. It's safe, clean and is close to restaurants and a large supermarket.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple