“Best hotel experience”

Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in Hobart
Ohio
“Best hotel experience”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I spent a couple of nights at the Islington in November 2012 while on vacation. We spent 3 weeks in Australia and this hotel was one of the highlights!! Our travel agent booked it along with other excellent hotels and this was the best! I felt like a welcome guest in a beautiful home, but without any expectations for socialization. We stayed in one of the lower level rooms which walked out into the garden and had a view of Mt. Wellington.. Loved the aesthetics of the room and bathroom. The amenities were fantastic (ipad to use with art tour, stocked fridge, great bath products, movie selection). We loved the room so much we couldn't wait to get back in the evenings just to relax. The bed and linens were really comfortable and I got great sleep while we were there. The rest of the property was equally as beautiful and lots of fun to explore and look at the interesting art collection. We ate dinner there the first night (and would have the second night except it was not served that particular evening). I enjoyed chatting with the chef in the kitchen as he started his early prep work. The meal was delicious, a great value, in a beautiful setting, and the service was excellent. Loved the muffins and fruit available throughout the day. On the morning we left, they stocked us up with muffins and fruit for our car ride that day. I don't know that we'll ever make it back to Tasmania, but I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vacationfun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Hungarian first
London
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The Islington is a gem. Wonderful setting, delicious meals, and a delight to stay there. The staff goes out of their way to make your visit special. They were also very helpful in giving us advice as to what to see and do in Tasmania. We had read about the hotel on Trip Advisor as we were planning to travel to Hobart and chose The Islington based on other reviews. This is one special small hotel which we hope to return to. Only wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: We were in a garden room with a view of Mt. Wellington. Comfy bed and every amenity. Very quiet. Lov...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Expat2013
Gold Coast
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a night just before Easter, we had the attic room which was gorgeous. We were welcomed by Ash who was fantastic he looked after us at dinner & was very attentive & informed. The atmosphere of the hotel is just beautiful, the open kitchen is just gorgeous & welcoming. Our dinner was amazing, this was our first time to Hobart and highly recommend staying here even just for a night. Oh the breakfast is delicious too!!

• Stayed March 2013
Queensland
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed in the Islington Hotel for one night before heading off into the mountains. I was highly impressed and any negatives I have are very minor indeed.
The hotel is entered through a gate with an intercom to notify staff of your arrival. I made the mistake of entering after another car had just left and the gate was still open. There is no obvious reception area and I had a little difficulty working out who was staff (no uniforms) and who were guests. After that minor inconvenience things proceeded smoorhly.
The house (it is more a large house than a hotel) is a mixture of old (by Australian standards) and very modern with lots of glass. I wish that I had had more time to explore. The grounds looked inviting with a herb garden and a largish lawned area.
I stayed in one of the Garden Rooms. Luxury with individual touches. An I-pad with free internet access was very welcome. Large windows looked over the garden and towards Mt Wellington (the view was slightly marred by a large wall to one side). The bed was large and very comfortable and the bathroom spacious and well set out. My only problem with the room was the DVD player - this was behind a wall at the head of the bed and so not able to be controlled remotely from the bed and then I couldn't get the sound to work. (There is a library of DVDs available for free use). The TV itself worked well.
There was no evening meal available the night I stayed, but I was offered toasted sandwiches or help to make a booking at a restaurant. Breakfast the next morning was very enjoyable and frshness is assured when you can see the cook picking lavender from the garden to place on your eggs.
This was a wonderful place to stay, luxurious, quirky, definitely not an anonymous chain hotel. Next time I will staty longer

Room Tip: Just do it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in December (I can't believe it's taken me this long to write a review about it!). We stayed in the Signature Room and it lived up to all the great reviews and expectations. The staff are excellent and try to accommodate your every wish! The daily breakfast was superb. It was sad to leave, this hotel is really special.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thomas B, General Manager at Islington Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
We really appreciate the time taken to write a few words about a stay at Islington, the fact these guests were still fondly remembering their visit months later is even better.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

The Islington Hotel provides the best atmosphere suitable for prime travellers who are after privacy and class without pretence. Staff are professional, friendly, helpful. I believe this hotel has small capacity of guests, so booking in advanced is a must. I noticed that the hotel uses the best Australian made hair and skin products: Aesop. The lounges are beautiful and decorted with superb tastes. The Conservatory and the kitchen areas are classic Australian style converted modern period house: open, spacious, fresh and airy. Food quality is of the highest standard, probably the equivalent of 1 Michelin star restaurant.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
A lovely review that mentions all the things we strive for like; privacy and class without pretence, decorated with superb tastes, food quality is of the highest standard and my favourite, staff are professional, friendly and helpful.
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel in Hobart was a beautiful old restored home; the rooms were
really tastefully decorated very spacious. We stayed in the Regency room; breakfast was delightful with beautifully fresh cooked eggs and also lovely fruits and bread. It is everything that you could imagine and the conservatory where breakfast is served is a beautiful light
warm space. Comfortable and luxurious. Gorgeous garden and nice outdoor view.
It is a 15-20 minute walk to the CBD (quite steep). Jut wish we could have stayed longer than one night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas B, General Manager at Islington Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Actually the original house was built in 1847, which is quite old for Australia. Our very clever architect retained the charm of the original house while adding modern conveniences like under floor heating, air-conditioning and the award winning conservatory restaurant with its commanding views of Mt Wellington.