“wonderful Islington, again!”

Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Sydney
“wonderful Islington, again!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I first stayed at Islington last summer for my sister’s wedding. Our family had exclusive use of the hotel for 3 days. It was just fantastic and we couldn’t wait to come back again. We’ve just spent another 3 days at this magnificent property and loved it just as much as on our first visit, especially the in-room iPad which I’m using to write this before we leave for home, sigh! We had great weather for our stay and got the chance to spend lots of time outside, enjoying Tasmanian sparkling and oysters on the terrace most days before dinner. The glass conservatory was just glorious for breakfast each day and in the evenings for dinner with the doors open and the lovely warm breeze coming through and the views of the mountain from that room were just magical! All of the staff were so professional and committed to their jobs and to the property and the service so anticipatory that we always had exactly what we needed. We stayed in the original part of the house in a Regency room, the Wellington room, overlooking Mount Wellington and it was just gorgeous! We were able to have a look at most of the rooms in the hotel during our stay and would book any of them for our next visit but the Signature room would be our choice for our next stay. It is just massive and with the most stunning antique furniture and I love the secret door in the wall to the bathroom which is possibly a little bit more special than all of the others in the house. From the moment we arrived we felt like part of the family; we were met at the door by Selina who showed us where to park and took us on a tour of all of the public rooms of the hotel and there are a lot that guests can use at any time. It was hard for us to get past the conservatory, however, with its amazing architecture and was such a perfect place to pass time during the day and evenings. Our dinners were cooked by Joe who has developed a simple, seasonal menu with all of the dishes presented beautifully and cooked to perfection. The portion sizes were just right at dinner and breakfast. Francesco took care of us at dinner and his wine knowledge was great! We tried a few things we had never had before and would certainly have again. He told us about the dishes when we struggled to make a choice and organised a candle in my husband’s dessert when he discovered that it was his birthday. We loved all of our breakfasts and were lucky enough to have coffee made for us one morning by the charming general manager, Thomas. By far and away one of the best short blacks I have ever had! I really can’t say enough about our time at Islington. It is such a lovely property made so special by all of the people working there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jonandme
The-General-Managers, General Manager at Islington Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
It’s always a pleasure to welcome back return guests; especially after sharing such a special occasion like the wedding of a loved one. We do find our guests have favourite rooms; some enjoy the opulence and space of our Regency and Signature Rooms while others prefer the clean contemporary styling of our Garden Rooms with their commanding views of Mt Wellington.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Hungarian first
Australia
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I have stayed at Islington before and really enjoyed the experience and have recommended it to other people. This time we stayed in their 'Signature' room which is meant to be the best room they have. My initial advice would be that if you intend to stay here save your money and book a Garden or similar room. The Signature room would be the noisiest room they would have and if you had a large noisy group in it would be problem. The bathroom was also much smaller (there are no towel rails as there isn't room for any)and the mirror is a problem if you are not sitting down. The rate includes an alcoholic minibar which we didn't want and didn't really use. The alcohol in the minibar consisted of 2 X 375ml bottles of wine and 1 X small bottle of beer. I don't think most people want to sit and drink in their room but if you did you would be better to just go out and buy what you want.
When we arrived in Hobart it was 34C. To be fair Hobart doesn't really cope with hot weather and while our room was air-conditioned the public areas of the hotel are not. It has a conservatory which is of course glass which probably made the house even hotter. It was uncomfortably warm and whilst it did cool down on the following day it remained hot because no-one bothered to open any windows. I'm not sure how they cope over summer as even if there was a cool breeze as I think the public areas would stay hot.
Staff were present on check in and then the place was just deserted. I hunted around and found someone eventually on our first night and asked if we could have the doona (duvet) removed and replaced with a blanket and sheet. The gentleman I spoke to, whilst he was the only member of staff present and did seem to be in charge,did not speak particularly good english and I had quite a lot of difficulty getting him to understanding what I wanted. Once he seemed to understand what it was I wanted I also explained that there was no rush as we were going out to dinner for a few hours. When we returned over 2 hours later we found nothing had been done. I then spent 5 minutes hunting again for a member of staff. I eventually found the gentleman I had spoken to (he was still the only member of staff on the premises) and he then went to change the bed. He brought a doona/duvet cover and a blanket and seemed to make up the bed. Once he was gone and we got into bed we found that neither the doona cover or the blanket were big enough to be tucked in. Fortunately he had brought and left an extra sheet so that we were able to remake the bed so that it was alright to sleep in. When you are paying more than $500 a night it does seem a little ridiculous that you have to make your own bed with inadequate bedding!
We went out all the next day and just expected that housekeeping would fix the bed while we were out. When we returned the bed had just been made the same way we had made it, with the blanket still not being big enough. I also found lying beside the basin in the bathroom a dirty looking brush that housekeeping must have been using to clean. I again went to find a staff member and again the only person present was the gentleman of the night before and the chef. I had to speak to the chef as the original gentleman just did not seem to grasp what the problem was. We then again went out for dinner but nothing was done to fix the bed while we were out. That night the toilet seat also broke and could not be reattached to the toilet.
The next day at breakfast we were finally approached by another member of staff who half heartedly apologised and told us that as we had paid in advance no recompense could be made for the problems we had encountered. She then suggested that she could possibly arrange to give us a voucher so that we could return some other time but said we should think about it and come and see her. Once we were packed up and ready to leave she was nowhere to be seen so we simply left. No staff were present to see us off.
We had travelled to Hobart from interstate for a special weekend for a birthday. Even if we had been given a voucher to return it wouldn't have made up for the disappointing experience we had and as it is the hotel has done nothing to compensate us.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the signature room. The less expensive rooms that are not in the original ho...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Davies72
The-General-Managers, General Manager at Islington Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Firstly I would like to say how disappointed I am to read this review as well. My team at Islington has proven to be the most dedicated hospitality professionals I have ever worked with and to read a report that’s so different from every other piece of feedback either via this website or in person is very concerning indeed. I agree totally that the events above are definitely not acceptable at this hotel; the happiness of every guest is of utmost importance. In fact there is no other reason for a boutique property such as ours to exist. I acknowledge that sometimes mistakes are made; the prompt and polite resolution of the occasional problem sets a truly exceptional business aside from the rest. I will be personally following up each issue and have already sent correspondence to the guests to apologise for their unsatisfactory treatment. I have not heard back at this time but am hoping to be able to welcome them to the hotel again and prove that their last experience was most definitely not what the Islington Hotel is renowned for.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Isslington. The staff, accommodation, food was all spot on. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing stay then we could not recommend this place more highly. You are only 15-20 mins walk to the Salamanca Market on Saturday so you are not too far away from the action. Also in terms of weather Dec seemed to be spot on. 20 degrees, clear blue skies. Perfect all round. If looking for a nice winery for a nice lunch with a view then Meadowbank was also superb.

Room Tip: We stayed in the garden room. It was great. Did not see any to the others.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for letting the secret out. As a small hotel we rely almost entirely on word of mouth and return visits. We look forward to seeing you again next year and please keep up the rave reviews!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was by far one of the best hotels my husband and I have ever stayed in. The attention to detail was amazing. The service from the team there was faultless, friendly, knowledgeable and more. We felt very special (especially being away from the kids for the first time in a long time) but the staff were so wonderful that I have no doubt they make everyone feel special. The food was sensational and the rooms luxurious. It was almost too good to be true and I feel like I don't want to let the secret of this hotel out more than it already is but of course have found myself raving about it to anyone who will listen since our return. We will definitely be back - hopefully as soon as we can organise that babysitter again. See you next year !!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nicky W
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had the most sublime stay in Hobart thanks to the Islington. The architecture, art and antiques are so spectacular. The service, food and wine were all sensational. The conservatory was a very special addition to the existing house. Loved it. We'll be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lara M
The-General-Managers, General Manager at Islington Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
It’s so rewarding for us that the hotel’s unique features, its defining edge if you will, are the things guests rave about the most. Thank-you to all our guests who take the time to review us on TripAdvisor, we really appreciate the time it takes and always renew our efforts to improve ourselves after a review.
Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I've stayed in some excellent five star hotels around the world but my recent stay at The Islington Hotel would be one of most luxurious hotel i've ever stayed in!.

My partner booked a romantic getaway for the weekend and it was perfect from start to finish. We stayed in the Regency room, comfortable bed & pillows, Aesop toiletries, lcd tv and also an ipad. There are also beautiful paintings from around the world displayed across the hotel.

Hearty breakfast ( chef can cook anything you're heart desires) with local Tasmanian produce.

Location isn't in the heart of Hobart ( e.g Salamanca) however it's a very short 5 minute drive into town.

I'd highly recommend you stay at The Islington on you're next visit to Hobart

oh did i also mention there is all you can eat fresh cookies & muffins =)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I love the comment about ‘all you can eat’, that’s true of a selection of seasonal, local fruit as well but of course the cookies and muffins disappear first. We also include secure off-street parking, wifi internet throughout the hotel, in room mini bar and loose leaf T2 tea and barista coffee in an all inclusive rate.
Sydney
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We spent a week in this beautiful boutique hotel. Garden room overlooking Mt Wellington. In addition to 11 guest rooms there is a series of sitting and dining rooms; furnished with a lovely interplay of antiques and modern pieces. The food and ambience were so lovely we preferred to eat in rather than out. Honour bar in sitting room with lovely fireplace. We will definitely return: again and again and again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JudiHC
The-General-Managers, General Manager at Islington Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you JudiHC for the lovely feedback, we’ll be here to welcome you back.