“Quick, Easy, Tasty & Cheap but not Thai”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Ivory Cafe

Ivory Cafe
Ranked #53 of 595 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Simply Thai
Melbourne, Australia
“Quick, Easy, Tasty & Cheap but not Thai”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Popped in for a quick noodles, the food was ok but was very Aussie Thai, those of you that eat a lot of Thai food will know exactly what i mean.

I visited the cafe because it claimed to sell authentic Thai food so it was disappointing to be served essentially a Chinese / Thai hybrid noodle combination, the food was quite tasty and very cheap but this is not a restaurant Thai people would enjoy.

The Waitress was very friendly but i sensed they have had a few complaints from customers expecting authentic Thai food.

There were many other nice looking dishes on the menu and i may return to try another.

• Visited November 2012

Sydney
“a little piece of northern Thai in downtown Hobart”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Thanks to previous good reviews of Ivory in Trip Advisor, we've just devoured yummy fresh reasonably priced takeaway Thai food during a few day's holiday in Hobart. Friendly fast service.

• Visited November 2012
Melbourne
“Calm down!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We ate dinner on a Saturday night and chose the place purely based on Trip Advisor recommendations of which there was nothing under "excellent". Feel it needs to be said that, while the food was good and the service was very friendly, you really need to understand that you are eating in what is essentially the local take-away! Seats about 20 at tiny laminate tables. We were given two side plates in order to share the mains and a can of solo came as is - a can on the table - no glass, no straw! The locals seem to know to BYO. The food is comparable to any good thai take-away. It's just the ambience you need to be prepared for - we were expecting something else, but that's not the restaurant's fault. Would only go back for take-away.

Visited October 2012
Country Victoria
“Worth the wait.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

My partner and I were in Hobart for a short break and chose this restaurant as our last night meal due to the reviews I'd read early in our stay. We did not book as we went on a Wednesday night but when we arrived they were already booked out and getting a table for 3 was hard due to the size of the place. The waitress was fabulous and squeezed us in last minute. The menu was limited but had the staples for Thai. We all had something different and loved it. The heat in the dishes was hotter than expected so if you normally have your curry mild then make sure you ask for it extra mild! I usually have mine medium and I'd say my dish was on the hotish side but still delicious. Will come back next time we're in town.

Melbourne, Australia
“Eyebrow raising great Thai food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Just stumbled on this place and had to download the trip advisor app to review it straight away. The exclamations of delight from every table only confirmed my own experience. My Spicy Drunken Noodles were wonderful. Perfectly cooked, flavourful but delicate. I wanted to be a pig and order a second serve. It also wasn't too big. Quality over quantity which I love. I also had the chicken curry puffs which were very yummy

I'm leaving Hobart tomorrow and what upsets me the most is that I can't come back to eat here every week

The young waitress was funny and chirpy and made the experience all the better