“A lovely home to visit.”

Markree House Museum & Garden
Ranked #61 of 136 things to do in Hobart
Hobart, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A lovely home to visit.”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

This home is a beautiful example of the Arts and Crafts movement. Built in 1920 this home still retains a lot of the original furniture and fittings. Wonderful history told expertly by my guide, Eagle. Eagle and Donna are very generous with their time and knowledge of this wonderful old home. With it's original garden, this home is a lovely escape in the middle of beautiful Hobart.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Heather48

Belconnen, Australia
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A great place to visit”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I just happened to be walking down Hampden Road when Markree House was open. I'm so pleased that I went in: Markree House was built in the Arts and Crafts style as a family home in the 1920s for the Baldwin family. Some of the furnishings are original from the house, others from the period. One of the rooms was Henry Baldwin's room as a child and it contains many of the toys he had (including a train set!) and some toys that he made himself. It's a beautiful home, with a gorgeous sun room and a terrific layout. It brings back great memories of days past: my grandparents had very similar items to many on display in the kitchen.

Markree has a beautiful garden, with a combination of period-appropriate functional and decorative plantings.

The guide who showed me around was knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and I'll definitely visit Markree again next time I visit Hobart.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Jennifer C
Cobaw
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Don't bother going unless you book”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I can't comment on whether this attraction is actually worth going to or not as we were disappointed to find upon arrival that you have to book to go there. There was a very unwelcoming sign on the gate saying that it is open by appointment only, which is contrary to the information on the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery website which says it's open every day between 10 and 5. Perhaps I'll book next time and update my rating to something higher.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Rebecca M
Cleveland, Ohio
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A trip to the past”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Markree House and Garden is a true delight. So original in presentation and a real view into the past and an individual's devotion to his family and home. You feel as tho you are being welcomed into a real home because there are no barriers or fancy displays that set things apart so your imagination is truly engaged with the toys and beautiful furniture and the setting.
Well worth a visit - a very special place. Our guide was wonderful and since the visit was by appointment, we were delighted with the special attention he gave to us and we learned a lot about the house, as well as Hobart.

Visited February 2014
Devonport, Australia
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Great to see some yesteryear”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Costs $10.00 for adults and kids under 12 free. This is a wonderful museum piece for the Hobart Museum, great to see it so well kept. Went with the kids, and this kept the 12and 10yo interested but not the 6yo. I really enjoyed viewing the artifacts that was retained and displayed. Worth the money

Visited September 2012