Okay, SO... First of all - Silly me for choosing Hobart as my getaway after our wedding. Lets just begin the review that way!
Due to going overseas a few months after the wedding, me and my husband decided to do something low key directly after the big day also! Having been to Sydney and Queensland many times, we felt that something different was needed - and we had never been to Hobart together. Looking at all the hotels in the city - the choice was made between the Henry Jones Art Hotel and Somerset on the pier. We chose Somerset as it had a unique view and was situated directly on the docks. (Something we had not experienced before in all our travels)
As we got to the reception, we were greeted by the receptionist and congratulated on our marriage. (No upgrade? BLeh!) Honeymoon bonus...a box of very ordinary tasting truffles. A box of Favorites from Woolworth's would of been better, let me tell you that!
Now - on to the room.
Room had an 'old' vibe. The bathroom sort of made me uneasy and wasn't the cleanest looking. The bed in the room is situated on the second level which is a nice touch, but something in the bed covers or the couch made both of us INCREDIBLY itchy! Not sure if others have experienced this at Somerset on the Pier - but it really annoyed me.
The balcony view is nice - but the table on the balcony looked dirty and i didn't like eating on it. No nice amenities, no added features to staying at the property and no real great memories made here.
Looking back now, Henry Jones Art hotel is on the opposite side of the dock and i would definitely pay just that little bit extra to stay somewhere 5 star and above Somerset's poor standard. Do not choose this if you want a romantic getaway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Housed in a conversion of a 1930s pier building, award-winning Somerset on the Pier is the epitome of old world charm mixed with contemporary style. Located on the shores of Hobart’s waterfront, each serviced apartment boasts beautiful panoramic views of the River Derwent and historic Sullivan’s Cove. Somerset offers 56 one bedroom and family apartments with complimentary wireless internet, fully-equipped kitchenettes, contemporary decor; and a loft-style design exuding space and comfort, perfect for both the business or leisure traveller. Offering a welcome alternative to a hotel, Somerset is the ideal accommodation for a weekend away or an extended stay. Hobart’s central business district, restaurants, shopping precincts and main attractions including Salamanca Place, home to the famous Salamanca Market, Battery Point, Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery and the ferry to the Museum of Old and New Art - MONA are all on your door step. Hobart is one of Australia’s most picturesque capital cities and Somerset on the Pier is the gateway to exploring everything the city has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Somerset on the Pier Hobart reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Somerset On The Pier, Hobart Hotel Hobart
- Somerset On The Pier Hobart Tasmania