“Menu with a view to die for”
Review of The Station Cafe

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Station Cafe
Ranked #303 of 602 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Australian
Description: Fabulous views, small menu and wine list both well presented, and best of all, fairy wrens bathing in the bird baths outside the windows
Echuca
“Menu with a view to die for”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is the second time we've been here and on both occasions it has been a good decision. The first occasion was a group of adults and the second was just prior to Xmas and included a baby and two kids. Food is good without being fussy but even if it were sludge the view of the bay and islands would compensate. This time we were fortunate enough to watch rain showers sweep through and enhance an already spectacular vista. First time visitors to Hobart should not miss this spot.

• Visited December 2012

Hobart, Australia
“Nice Restaurant as long as you are not disabled”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

...or require assistance from the grumpy manager! Today I took my aged relative to the Station Cafe for afternoon tea. I had checked the website where they recommended their scones. Also advertised for the Station Cafe are: wheelchair access and wheelchair accessible toilets. We eagerly ordered the scones to be told they were no longer part of their current menu, wheelchair access as long as you didnt want to sit where the view was or the sun. Wheelchair accessible toilets? Hardly - wheelchairs dont go down steps.
When we arrived and asked for a table for two, the manager sternly told us that we could eat outside or if she opened a door onto the venandar could sit at the end but would need to access that by going back outside. We went back outside but no door opening was forthcoming. I went back inside to remind the manager to open the door for my aged relative who was patiently waiting, but the manager was engrossed in a lengthy conversation with her very young daughter which she had no intention of shortening. I knocked on the wall and again said "excuse me" and she said she will come and open the door once she had finished talking to her young daughter. Not the best customer service. At least we got a pleasant waitress, the food was nice, but the coffee only luke warm.

• Visited August 2012
Hobart
“The best Australian cuisine lunch I've found in Hobart”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We went to The Station Cafe with friends for lunch. My wife and I are very reluctant to eat out in Hobart because we have had so many dissapointments before. We were quite anxious on this occasion. At the very least we were confident we'd enjoy the location, we've been there previously and it is rather lovely.

Our eating experience was wonderful, completely out of the box based on our Hobart experiences. All four of us could not fault the dishes we were served. They were original, balanced and perfectly cooked.

The only criticism I can make is ambient noise. There is a section of the restaurant that was originally a verandah and is now enclosed. If you are seated there the conversation of surrounding tables is a bit too loud. It is difficult to hear your companions and to talk you have to speak loudly making the situation worse.

In summary the food was fantastic but the verandah was uncomfortably loud for us. Had we gone on a quiet day it would have been a perfect lunch.

• Visited February 2012