“Fine but not fancy”

Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Melbourne
“Fine but not fancy”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed for a weekend at The Old Woolstore...having found a cracking deal on hotels.com.
The room was clean and tidy, had a nice sized bathroom and mod TV.
Having grown up in Hobart and remembering when the Woolstore was built and advertised as a 'luxury hotel', I was keen to see if it lived up to it's name.
I think 'luxury' is a stretch for the room we were in but for the price, I can't complain. It was functional, a bit like a motel and there was something drab about the colour scheme.
All in all the service was prompt, it's in a handy location for walking into town and salamanca and the price was right.
We didn't have a car but caught the hotel bus which for $15 dropped us to the door.
Would I stay again? If the Mantra up the road (which I would recommended for location and room quality) was full...probably.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aleishamac

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
canberra
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I couldn't fault the reservation person when I booked an apartment. She was very helpful when giving me directions to this hotel which I arrived at late at night. When I arrived I could not find a parking spot - on reading reviews, I found that they have 240 rooms and only 140 parking spots. When I checked in, I mentioned that I couldn't find a parking spot and was told to go to an overflow carpark with a boom gate - this too was full. So this did not impress me. Ended up parking in a 2 hour permit zone outside the hotel which had to be vacated at 10am. Now the room. This place is bigger than I thought - 8 stories. The corridor leading to the room was devoid of any character - like a hospital hallway. The room itself was OK - an apartment - roomy yes, had all the utensils etc for a self-catering stay. View looked out to the back of the Grand Chancellor Hotel and faced Macquarie Street. Rooms are not sound proofed. When I went to bed, I got a shock when the person in the room next to me banged into the wall and my bed literally moved. I could hear people talking. As it was cold, I put on the electric blanket but it took forever to heat the bed up.
Would I stay here again - probably not or if I did I would make sure I was out for as long as I could. I checked out the next day.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2011

A room with a spa in it, this was lovely! Really enjoyed our stay & actually used the spa :)
The appartment had plenty of space & the bed was very comfortable... I would like bigger cups in the kitchenette - but thats something very few hotels provide - at least these ones where in between size and not TINY.
My only wish was that we could stay more than one night.. :)

• Stayed August 2011
Kettering, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Walk in with no booking as ran out of time to get where we were planning. Given best rate on internet for a nice tidy appartment room with comfy bed and clean bathroom. Carpets were a little sad but overall it was a great sleep and good value for money. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I know, value for money and all that, but not value for life! The hotel rooms are pokey, dingy, colourless prison cell-meets-government -departmental spaces on the ground floor overlooking dark walls -not good for the soul.
The staff on the other hand were lovely and the apartments were adequate, with natural light, thankfully and washing facilities etc, despite some remaining meanness (shower size good for a small pet, no bath). Why not spend a bit more and go to the gorgeous Corinda Cottages just up the road? It's better for you and you'll save money in the end because you won't want to go out!!

Room Tip: I suggest it's best to only stay in the Apartments
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank julietago
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stayed in this apartment hotel for only one night. But we could relax like home! wifi connection is not free, but not so expensive for 24h.

• Stayed July 2011
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Always stay at the Woolstore for work purposes and am always pleased with the comfort of my stay. As I sometimes stay for days at a time I usually reserve a Studio or 1 bedroom apartment, I havent stayed in a conventional hotel room at the Woolstore. The studio apartments are spacious, small lounge area, dining table & chairs with comfy bed and flat screen tv. The bathrooms are okay, fairly basic and plain decorating throughout the rooms. The hotel restaurant is good, great food and service good. The main issue I always have with this hotel is the car parking is horrendous, basically there are not enough spaces for the amount of rooms they have - they seriously need to look at building a carpark on the property somehow.

Room Tip: I would recommend paying extra for a Studio room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank boats01
BST99, Manager at The Old Woolstore Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2011
Thank you for posting about The Old Woolstore Apartment Hotel. We are pleased you have found a style of accommodation that suits your needs when you are in Hobart for business. In relation to the parking on-site, we acknowledge that there are around 140 car-parks whereas we have around 240 rooms. The parking on-site is offered for free, but clearly when a lot of people have a car with them it can get tight. Particularly on weekdays, around 4.30pm - 7.00pm, a heck of a lot of guests arrive with a vehicle. An employee is rostered to control access on nights we expect lots of vehicles and this ensures no-one but house-guests are using our car park at the busiest times.

When our car park is full, we also offer complimentary, overflow parking overnight at the nearby Market Place Car Park, around a 2 minute walk back to Reception. This information is communicated to guests as clearly as we can (see website) and our staff are happy to issue a voucher for the Market Place in advance to those people who want to know precisely where they can park if worried about finding a park later at night. I trust that this explains the parking situation in full, and perhaps that next time you are with us you might investigate the Market Place option if you think it would make life easier.

Again, thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it.