“The dirtiest room I've ever slept in”

Rydges Hotel Hobart
Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Dublin, Ireland
“The dirtiest room I've ever slept in”
Reviewed September 13, 2010

This has to be without a doubt the dirtiest room I've ever stayed in. A lost of dust everywhere, dirt in the floor between the fridge and the furniture in the kitchen - the kind of dirt that has been piling up for months... Room 59.
I had to leave a note for housekeeping to replace the tray where coffee sachets and minibar items where kept there were bits of what seemed to be pasta or cheese and again dirt built up. Stains that are removable in the kitchen wall by the hot plates. built up dust all over. Utterly disgusting. Furniture falling apart. It definitely needs a good clean up and refurbishment badly. First and last stay ever at Rydges. On another note the hotel seemed quiet and yet we must have got one of the noisiest rooms just by the stairs.
The only good thing about our stay was our breakfast on the second and third day of our stay, which was beautifully cooked and really, really nice.
Also I had made the booking in May and joined the guest rewards program. I never received the card and I contacted the customer centre who advised the card would be at the hotel upon arrival. It was not there when I asked the receptionist. No updates where given throughout the 3 night stay or upon check out. The same lady - a very nice girl called Anne - checked our room out. I didn't bother asking because I do not intend to come back ever again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
styson, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, October 30, 2010
It was disappointing to read the room you stayed in was in such a poor state of cleanliness. This is certainly not acceptable and I have addressed the comments you made with the housekeeping staff. I can assure you this is not the standard we aim for. We anticipate an upgrade to the furniture in the coming months.

We do offer a great breakfast each morning in Brickfields and we're glad you enjoyed it. A good breakfast will set you up for a great day exploring Hobart's many attractions which are in close proximity to the hotel.

The Rydges Priority Guest cards are a great way of saving money on food and beverage even when you're not staying at the hotel. They can be used at any Rydges property, so please do follow up on your card as it's well worthwhile. I'm sorry it wasn't available at the hotel for you when it should have been.

Thanks for your feedback.
Stephanie Tyson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Gosford, Australia
Reviewed August 30, 2010

A group booked in for 3 nights recently..we found the rooms to be dated and tired although very spacious by modern standards...beware of the many steps to access the rooms in the wings outside the main building circa 1913. The wings are almost without any of the charm that is still evident in the main building.

The hotel is well out of town and not close to any tourist attractions and is directly adjacent to a football ground.. The service was pleasant and the beds absolutely fantastic very very comfortable. The breakfast although not as lavish as we are used to seeing in modern hotels was quite adequate.

My colleagues could not get their wi fi internet to work which was annoying.

If visiting as a tourist I would recommend staying close to port area and Salamanca.

I would rate Rydges as just OK not great, not bad just OK.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Thanks for letting us know about your stay with us. While we're not in the very centre of town, we do enjoy a quieter location, ensuring guests get a peaceful night's sleep in our Rydges Dream Beds. the location also allows us to offer ample free parking - not something you'll get when staying in Salamanca.

We are currently reviewing our breakfast offering and anticipate an improvement on the look and range on offer.

The in room internet has a free call 24 hour number for assistance for any problems. The majority of our guests find the internet facilities extremely useful.

We have taken your comments on board and certainly aim to improve upon your 'just ok' rating.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2010

The room itself was mostly clean when we arrived - a few scraps of litter near the bed and under the bedside table still remained, however, which made me check everything thoroughly. The bed was comfortable and probably the best part about the stay.

As my fiance and I both work and required internet we were shocked to discover the rates were touching $30/day per computer. After consulting with reception staff about this ridiculously high amount we were informed Priority Rydges Guests were given 50% discount on internet. We attempted (after signing up) to get the wireless working in our room as there was only one cable connection, but there was only 1 bar of signal strength and after 45 minutes we gave up and shared the one laptop. We were further stung on checkout when we discovered that the discount had not been applied to us at all and we were, in fact, charged the full rate.

This could be overlooked, but the general attitude of the evening dining staff was horrendous. Breakfast staff were friendly, however the one time our group of 12 or so people decided to take dinner in the restaurant we were treated as if we were a huge inconvenience - although the dining room held only one other family of four. We were told in no uncertain terms to remain in the corridor until the tables had been put together and cutlery laid out because it was easier to set without people - however when we were finally allowed to be seated we found ourselves missing knives, plates and wine glasses. The waiters were rude and the food extremely overpriced. I had ordered the Lamb Shanks (as described on the menu) for $30 - and received only 1 shank with a half a potato underneath it. Similar for the rest of our dining party including incorrectly serving unordered items and leaving others off.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
styson, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, August 25, 2010
Thank you for your feedback.
Its disappointing you found so many faults with our property, when we do try very hard to provide a great product and exceptional service.
There is no excuse for litter on the floor in the rooms as you describe and I have followed up with our housekeeping department regarding this. I am glad you had a good sleep - the Dream beds are certainly comfortable.
Your internet certainly should have been half price, I have addressed this matter with the front office team. I am more than happy to correct this for you.
We get numerous complements for the great service in our restaurant, so it was extremely upsetting to read of the rudeness you describe. May I suggest that as a party of 12, making a reservation may have aleviated some of the problems you encountered, especially as we actually had a few other tables dining that evening and the restaurant is quite small. I have edited our menu with regard to the Lamb Shank dish.

Again, I am sorry your stay was not what you had hoped and I will ensure the problems you encountered are rectified in the future.

Stephanie Tyson

Travelers are raving about these Hobart hotels

Sydney
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Staying here for one night on a business trip and considering checking out as soon as I checked in. The bed is nice and staff are helpful, but that's about it. I was given a king suite which includes a tiny bedroom area and a second room with almost no furniture - a small table and two chairs that may have come from an old conference room. Not even a coffee table for my tea. Carpet is so old and dingy, I won't be taking the socks off. Television has only a few channels and lacks the most basic ones (Channel Ten is in the bar only?) Decor is out of the 60's. Neighbourhood doesn't have so much as a coffee shop. Should have used one of the places in the CBD instead. Not even close to four star.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
styson, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, July 16, 2010
Thank you for your feedback.

The staff do try very hard to ensure a pleasant stay for our guests and we certainly have some of the most comfortable beds in town.

I'm sorry you weren't happy with the room type you booked.
We are currently focussing on the issues you have mentioned with regard to the furnishing of the room and the lack of Channel 10. We aim to have these rectified in the near future.

An enquiry with front desk would have revealed a whole range of restaurants and cafes located only a couple of minutes walk from the hotel, in North Hobart. It's a very popular area with locals and visitors alike.

Perth, WA
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Stayed for 4 nights very recently. Was suprisingly comfortable! Very big room with seperate lounge, bathroom, kitchenette, bedroom. Was very clean and an exceptionaly comfortable bed. Great having movie channels free on the LCD TV and the connectors for my computer to the tv. Staff were very friendly and generally attentive! Only a couple of minuses: the room would have been excellent with a microwave (especially good for slightly longer stays doing work) and the couch needed an update - it was a very worn out and hard.

Really this is the best value hotel in Hobart!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us - it's always lovely to receive great feedback.
We always try to ensure there are great value deals available on the Rydges website.
The Rydges Dream Beds are certainly worth mentioning - we get a great response from them and they do ensure a good night's sleep.
Microwaves are always available for anyone who needs one. A quick call to reception will provide one.
We anticipate an upgrade to the furniture in the coming months, so this should be rectified going forward.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Hobart in the future.

Launceston, Tasmania
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Got an excellent deal through zuji.com for a Superior King room, while attending a conference at Rydges. Good points were convenient location (easy to get to North Hobart restaurants), ample parking, very spacious room and one of the the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. Kitchenette facilities were very handy, but also very tired, as were most of the furnitiure, fittings and soft furnishings (e.g worn bed sheets and towels). Reception staff friendly and room fully cleaned and serviced daily. Overall a very comfortable and pleasant, good-value stay but rooms are well overdue for refurbishment.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed April 7, 2010

Unusually located just north of Hobart CBD, it looks out over North Hobart football oval and across the CBD to the harbour. However being located just outside allows full parking and expansive rooms, as well as regular specials such as 3-nights-for-the-price-of-2. The restaurant on site is very good, though surprisingly empty for the quality of the food, and the hotel bar is definitely atmospheric - it feels like a piece of Old England. The service left a bit to be desired, with one particularly sullen girl on the front desk making us feel like we were interrupting her unnecessarily whenever we had a question.

The water pipes can be noisy, at least in the building we were in, so if you are a light sleeper you may wish to reconsider. It's definitely a walkable distance through to the city and Salamanca Place, but there are also regular buses from just outside.

Overall I probably wouldn't stay here again if it's not on special, but it often seems to be so that may not be much of a restriction.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
FrqntTrvlrAustralia, Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, May 1, 2010
Thank you for your feedback.

Certainly our location is a huge bonus for those who need carparking and/or spacious rooms.

We appreciate your comments regarding the quality of the restaurant as this is something we have recently been focusing on.