“Tired and old fashioned”

Rydges Hotel Hobart
Ranked #33 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Tasmania
“Tired and old fashioned”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is not a 3 star hotel more like a 2 star and that is being generous. Rooms were tired, old fashioned and not clean. Bathroom had shower over bath with no rail, air vent in bathroom was dirty and full of dust, hot water tap spluttering as if air was in the pipes, curtains hanging off rails and dirty, no cover on mattress, just sheet over the mattress, stained carpet and small kitchen was not clean. I was so disappointed in this place as I took interstate visitors to stay one night in Hobart and thought this would have been a reasonable and quiet place to stay - not the case. I certainly would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The only plus was that the staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Wouldn't stay here.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Not sure where some of the other travellers stayed but .....
Location a little far from town centre, rooms dated tired and to be honest in need of a good clean. Wasn't impressed with the massive dust amount in the bathroom. Restaurant food lovely though , although waiter lacked a little bit of a sense of humour.the chef at night can certainly cook, breakfast though not good must've been different chef. Expensive for quality you get and could do with a good clean and revamp !
Disappointed

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank LynneK4
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 7, 2013

When I checked in I was disappointed to know that I was not credited with points for this stay as I had booked over the phone. I was not advised of this when I booked or I would have booked via the net. This is was the difference between a good and a perfect break.
We stayed 3 Nights and had the Breakfast and 2 course Dinner deal. This was the best decision ever. The meals provided by Chef Drew and the rest of his team(Kade, Danny, Fiona and the rest) at the Manor Grill were just fantastic. The presentation of the meal made us feel like we were dining at a Michelin star restaurant. The food was not only of an exceptional quality, but was sumptuous. You could not ask for more.
The Front office was handled by Jen who was ever willing to help with our requirements.
The room thought a little dated was well located with stunning views and ample space. The kids loved the comfort of the beds.
Well done team. Looking forward to returning. Thank yo

1 Thank Felix_ros
Australia
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel while holiday in Tasmania. We found it to be very nice, staff at Check In was polite and friendly. Unfortunately, it was very windy and showery when we arrived, having to lug our heavy suitcases up 2 flights of stairs was hard work, a ramp to the upper floor would be good.
We booked breakfast with our stay, there seemed to be some inconsistency with other Rydges we stayed at in Canberra. Only continental breakfast was on offered here, extra cost for the hot cooked breakfast whereas at Canberra was all included at the buffet. It had no free Wifi either as it was available at Canberra Rydges.
Location was good as it was not too far from the CBD and other attractions. We had a rental car, that made it easier to get around.
Our room was nice and spacious, king bed and a pull down bed for the kids. Bathroom was nice and roomy with extra heater inside for extra warm after shower/bath. There was only one wall heater in the room where the kids slept, because our room was separate by the bathroom, our end of the room had no heating at all, because it was very windy that night, our door was constantly rattling all night as it was someone trying to get in! That was a bit disturbing.
Our 2 nights stay overall was nice, the place had an old world charm and it was great to have stayed at a historic building. We had a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: I would ask for the downstairs room if there are a lot of luggages. I think the room not facing the...
1 Thank JonBrisbane
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is a great place. I have stayed a few times. Always one night but its location is for me superb (out of the city centre but easy walk). Restaurant very good. Rooms large and well equipped. A bit dated but who cares?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank desward
Devonport, Australia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

we stayed here over night recently the room had a king bed and in the lounge was a pull down double, was all well set out and clean in the room. The reception staff were a little frosty but I picked up my key separately from my husband it seemed to be inconvenient. but its easy walking distance ten minutes to the restaurant strip of North Hobart and for the price well worth the stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TasTravelBugs
Auckland
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Truly one of Hobart's little gems, my partner and i had just arrived in Hobart off the P&O Cruise-line from NewZealand and have flown down from Sydney to extend our holiday by a few days. we were told about Ridges Hobart by other passengers on the ship. We had the most amazing meal, the presentation, the attention to detail was outstanding. I ordered the Scotch Fillet steak and I am very particular on how I like my steak cooked, the chef did not disappoint, it was mouth watering, the service, the staff and the atmosphere were first class. It is not claiming to be a 5 star hotel but the service and staff made you feel that way, Am so impressed and cannot recommend highly enough, I am so jealous that the Hobart locals can dine at this establishment 7 days a week, we didnt stay as accommodation was previously booked elsewhere but now we wish we had known about this place sooner.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple