“Very outdated and needs maintenance” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rydges Hotel Hobart

Rydges Hotel Hobart
Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in Hobart
“Very outdated and needs maintenance”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Paid $146 for a room thinking it would be nice and was sorely let down. Dreadful curtains with rings missing and hard to pull across. Inside kitchen cupboards were peeling off, cupboard didn't close properly, drawer hard to open, water stain on wooden wall, no lounge ( two dodgy old chairs)
Coming back to Hobart next weekend and will definitely not be staying here again. Would have expected the price to be about $80 for this room at a dodgy motel not a rydges resort.
Tina

• Stayed September 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TinaLAl
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
I was very disappointed to read that you didnt enjoy your stay with us. I must agree that the curtains can be difficult to open and close but the maintenance team are working their way through all the rooms to try and solve these issues.

I do hope that you will give us another chance to prove to you that we are constantly trying to achieve and exceed our guests expectations by improving what and how we do what we do.

I look forward to the oppotunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.

Danny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Narre Warren, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

An older hotel but clean adequate accommodation. Rooms are large and heating good ... Restaurant food was very good and the waiter looked after our every need. Too far from the city without a car. Wi fi charges on top of daily tariff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as clean rooms, good food and service is what we aim to achieve each and every time. The team have been working extremely hard to achieve these goals and its great to get the feedback that they are being met and acknowledged by our guests.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Just got back from our stay at Rydges..selected this hotel for one like many the old style charm...a beautiful heritage building lovely gardens and all the staff I had the pleasure to meet were great...but the accommodation was average..like others have mentioned the building was an add on to look like the others but the maintenance had not been kept up...as I have and still do work in hospitality I was disappointed..side table lamp didn't work, missing light globe in light fitting in lounge area, complete light shade in bedroom missing only the metal ring left, toilet flush that noisy it sounded like a jet taking off, bed uncomfortable it looked like to beds pushed together so the join in the middle was uncomfortable, curtain rings missing..Ok this is not a huge problem but when I work hard for my dollar I expect quality in return. I'm not asking for a luxury suite but expected better for the name Rydges.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny f
Great to read that you loved the old heritage building and that the staff were great but I was disappointed to read that we missed some of the basics such as light globes.

I would normally check about 5 rooms per day myself and had not come across this but will definately speak with the maintenance team to ensure this type of thing is rectified immediately.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future to see for yourself how we are constantly making improvements in all facets of the hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

An old building converted into a hotel with extra wings added. Has a nice old world charm. Rooms are specious for families with children and view is good. Service is average. Hotel is far from city center so if you are not driving; it is not a convenient location as you can not walk to the city center (uphill climb from city to hotel).

We stayed here for three nights and enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Take the upper floor rooms offering nice views of the harbor in the distance.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Vijay P
It is a beautiful heritage building and like you mentioned, the rooms are large and can accommodate families as well as the individual traveller.

I hear what you are saying about the distance to town but I personally dont mind the 2km walk into town and back, it gives me the exercise I need after a week of sitting in the office.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

Located away from the CBD. The room is old and tired. Perhaps the oldest Rydges I've ever stayed in. The room we stayed in was noisy and we could hear people going in and out. We could also hear the tap/water running on pipes in the middle of the night. We didn't have hot water in the morning and we had to have cold shower. They also charged for using credit card, that is rather unacceptable given that such well recognised brand name of hotel should be capable of paying the merchant fee. Wouldn't recommended if you have other choices.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Rydges Hobart is heritage listed with the main building having been built in 1914. This, along with the two National trust Cottages add to the old world charm of the hotel and capture the essence of historic Hobart.

Thank you for letting me know about the hot water. We did have an issue with one of the water tanks but my Maintenance Manager has repaired it so all should now be fine.

regards
Danny

Travelers are raving about these Hobart hotels

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I decided to stay at the Rydges Hobart hotel due to the brand. I have stayed at previous Rydges hotels and have had nothing but good experiences, until I stayed at the Rydges Hobart hotel.

When I booked the hotel I advised we would be arriving at 2pm, the earliest check-in time available according to the website. We arrived at the hotel at around 11:30am to ask if we could store our luggage there until we could check-in at 2pm, to which the reception advised it was fine. We returned back to the hotel at 1:40pm and where advised by reception that our room was not ready, which was fine as it was not yet 2pm. We advised reception we would be in the bar until our room was ready, which we assumed would be only around twenty minutes, however we waited until 2:30pm before our room was ready. This annoyed us as we had advised we would be checking in at 2pm when we made the booking and again when we arrived at 11:30am to leave our luggage there. Also the lady at reception, while pleasant, I felt like she could not wait to get rid of us as if we were annoying her.

Now the room we were allocated was located in a different building, to which the receptionist gave us directions to. It was on the second floor and I felt as if I was staying in a motel compared to a hotel. The stairwell was open with exposed brick and concert floors. The room itself was out-dated and while the bathroom was spacious, it was also dirty. The grout, while supposed to be white, was black. There was also no exhaust fan in the bathroom however they did have a heater above the mirror. The only thing I can say I enjoyed in the room was the bed. At least that was the same as the other Rydges’ hotels I have stayed at.

When I booked the hotel I order chocolate dipped strawberries which had to be returned as the strawberries were old. The hotel, to their credit, did replace the strawberries with a desert platter which both my husband and I were happy with.

On my first morning at the hotel I ventured down to breakfast which was delicious. I had the eggs benedict and my husband had the pancakes. Both were amazing and the gentleman, who severed us, served us with a smile and good humour. Beside the cooked breakfast we had the buffet, which was well stocked and delicious. After breakfast I returned to my room for a hot shower and ended up having a cold one. Apparently two rooms run off one hot water tank and if you’re the last to shower then tough luck. You can imagine I was not happy and my husband still had to have his shower.

My husband and I also attend The Manor Grill for dinner and once again we could not complain about the food. It was amazing.

If you are also looking for a quite hotel to relax in, then this is not the place for you. There is a football oval right next door to the hotel and all Saturday afternoon and all of Sunday, all you hear is people screaming and swearing and whistles blowing and horns going and kids screaming and people talking over the announcer etc. There is also training during the week, so you don’t even get a break during the week from the noise. Not an environment inductive to relaxing. The walls of the hotel are also really thin so you can hear what is going on in the next room.

So the good points of the hotel are:
- The free parking.
- Close to the CBD.
- The food, the food, the food.
- The bed.

The bad points are:
- Issues with checking-in.
- More of a motel style feel.
- Dirty bathroom.
- Thin walls and a football oval right next door.
- Cold showers if all the hot water in the tank is used by the other room.

All up I would recommend attending the restaurant as the food is amazing but I would highly recommend staying at another hotel. I know that I will not be back here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
It was great to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your meals in the Manor Grill. Chef and his team have been working hard to ensure all the meals exceed expectations.

On most ocassions, we are able to move room allocations around so our guests can enter their rooms as easily and quickly as possible, on some days, this just doesnt work due to availability but is something I will definately be discussing with the front office team.

I normally check 5 rooms a day and have noticed the grout in some of the bathrooms need attention. I have been working closely with my Executive Housekeeper as we work through all of the rooms to ensure they are all up to scratch.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart so you can see for yourself the efforts being made by the entire team.

Albany, Western Australia,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

We only booked for only three nights that became eight. We had a great time. All the staff we met were friendly, helpful and always seemed to be smiling. We had breakfast every morning and couldnt fault it we also had dinner on a number of occasions and we formed the same opinion. The beds well they are nealy as comfortable as my own at home. WE will recommend this hotel to anyone we know is travelling to Hobart.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will definately pass on your feedback to the team as this is what they have been working so hard to achieve. Chef has been working hard to ensure our Rise breakfast concept is working well as is the new Manor Grill dinner menu, from your feedback and many others, he is definately on the right track.

Kind regards