“Amazing Food and Location But Not Much Else”

Rydges Hotel Hobart
Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I decided to stay at the Rydges Hobart hotel due to the brand. I have stayed at previous Rydges hotels and have had nothing but good experiences, until I stayed at the Rydges Hobart hotel.

When I booked the hotel I advised we would be arriving at 2pm, the earliest check-in time available according to the website. We arrived at the hotel at around 11:30am to ask if we could store our luggage there until we could check-in at 2pm, to which the reception advised it was fine. We returned back to the hotel at 1:40pm and where advised by reception that our room was not ready, which was fine as it was not yet 2pm. We advised reception we would be in the bar until our room was ready, which we assumed would be only around twenty minutes, however we waited until 2:30pm before our room was ready. This annoyed us as we had advised we would be checking in at 2pm when we made the booking and again when we arrived at 11:30am to leave our luggage there. Also the lady at reception, while pleasant, I felt like she could not wait to get rid of us as if we were annoying her.

Now the room we were allocated was located in a different building, to which the receptionist gave us directions to. It was on the second floor and I felt as if I was staying in a motel compared to a hotel. The stairwell was open with exposed brick and concert floors. The room itself was out-dated and while the bathroom was spacious, it was also dirty. The grout, while supposed to be white, was black. There was also no exhaust fan in the bathroom however they did have a heater above the mirror. The only thing I can say I enjoyed in the room was the bed. At least that was the same as the other Rydges’ hotels I have stayed at.

When I booked the hotel I order chocolate dipped strawberries which had to be returned as the strawberries were old. The hotel, to their credit, did replace the strawberries with a desert platter which both my husband and I were happy with.

On my first morning at the hotel I ventured down to breakfast which was delicious. I had the eggs benedict and my husband had the pancakes. Both were amazing and the gentleman, who severed us, served us with a smile and good humour. Beside the cooked breakfast we had the buffet, which was well stocked and delicious. After breakfast I returned to my room for a hot shower and ended up having a cold one. Apparently two rooms run off one hot water tank and if you’re the last to shower then tough luck. You can imagine I was not happy and my husband still had to have his shower.

My husband and I also attend The Manor Grill for dinner and once again we could not complain about the food. It was amazing.

If you are also looking for a quite hotel to relax in, then this is not the place for you. There is a football oval right next door to the hotel and all Saturday afternoon and all of Sunday, all you hear is people screaming and swearing and whistles blowing and horns going and kids screaming and people talking over the announcer etc. There is also training during the week, so you don’t even get a break during the week from the noise. Not an environment inductive to relaxing. The walls of the hotel are also really thin so you can hear what is going on in the next room.

So the good points of the hotel are:
- The free parking.
- Close to the CBD.
- The food, the food, the food.
- The bed.

The bad points are:
- Issues with checking-in.
- More of a motel style feel.
- Dirty bathroom.
- Thin walls and a football oval right next door.
- Cold showers if all the hot water in the tank is used by the other room.

All up I would recommend attending the restaurant as the food is amazing but I would highly recommend staying at another hotel. I know that I will not be back here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

It was great to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your meals in the Manor Grill. Chef and his team have been working hard to ensure all the meals exceed expectations.

On most ocassions, we are able to move room allocations around so our guests can enter their rooms as easily and quickly as possible, on some days, this just doesnt work due to availability but is something I will definately be discussing with the front office team.

I normally check 5 rooms a day and have noticed the grout in some of the bathrooms need attention. I have been working closely with my Executive Housekeeper as we work through all of the rooms to ensure they are all up to scratch.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart so you can see for yourself the efforts being made by the entire team.

Cheers
Danny

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We only booked for only three nights that became eight. We had a great time. All the staff we met were friendly, helpful and always seemed to be smiling. We had breakfast every morning and couldnt fault it we also had dinner on a number of occasions and we formed the same opinion. The beds well they are nealy as comfortable as my own at home. WE will recommend this hotel to anyone we know is travelling to Hobart.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will definately pass on your feedback to the team as this is what they have been working so hard to achieve. Chef has been working hard to ensure our Rise breakfast concept is working well as is the new Manor Grill dinner menu, from your feedback and many others, he is definately on the right track.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I recently booked a package to Hobart including accommodation with Rydges Hobart, listed on the Virgin Holiday as 4 Star. The room was certainly not a 4 star room. Firstly the bathroom floor tiles where very dirty and a clearing defined area around the bathroom floor that had not seen a mop for some time, the vent had also not been cleaned in sometime. The kitchenette cupboards were not attached properly. The room was very tired and could certainly do with some updating including replacing the toilet seat to at least match the cistern. The bed, however, was lovely but the TV was in the sitting area and could not be viewed from bed. But the most important thing would be the lighting outside. We arrived back to our room on the Saturday night, it was raining, and after climbing the 3 flights of stairs (the 3rd not being undercover) there was no overhead lighting and could have proved very dangerous. The last set of steps were wet and unlit and I am surprised that it would pass an OH&S inspection. The receptionist was polite and friendly. The property has such potential and it is a same it has been let run down.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GowrieGirl

I thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am currently going through all of our rooms with the Executive Housekeeper and the Maintenance Manager and identifying areas where we could improve such as the kitchen cupboards.

I do receive a lot of mixed feedback about the tv's with some people loving the fact that it is in the lounge room and when they go to bed, they actually go to sleep and others prefer to watch tv in bed. I guess it comes down to personal preference. We do have, in some of our Antique Suites, tv's which are clearly visible whilst lying in bed.

The Rydges Dream Beds do attract a great deal of fantastic comments, many of our guests even purchasing them for their homes.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart so you can see the imrpovements we are constantly making to achieve and exceed our guests expectations.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Lovely hotel at the top of town! A car is needed to get around unless walking distances is your thing! The hotel is heritage listed so the rooms are as advertised 'antique' especially with regard to heating etc! The room I stayed in was away from the main buliding and a mix of old style and new! It was clean and the bed very comfortable!
The restaurant and room service offer something for all tastes - highly recommend eating in! This hotel has quite a bit of history and is quite quaint (and comfortable)
Overall the experience was positive apart from the receptionist having to book guests in from the bar area so she can
Look after guests drink orders etc too! We had to wait a bit when we checked in and after a long drive - we were a bit annoyed!

• Stayed: August 2012
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the entire experience to be positive. In regards to the food and beverage, chef has been working extremely hard to get our new Rise breakfast concept and the Manor Grill menu just right. It seems we are on the right track as we do receive a lot of very positive feedback about the whole dining experience from many of our guests.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges hobart in the near future.

Danny veis

Reviewed July 30, 2012

4 of us recently occupied 2 rooms here, very central location only 15 minutes walk to Hobart, plenty of space in rooms, decent prices, very respectful and courteous staff, who only seem to have your comfort in mind, will gladly stay again, thanks Rydges Hobart.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ferralpumpkin
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are certainly receiving fantastic feedback about the team which brings me great joy as this is definately something we have been working on for some time.

Being only 2km for town, having easy access to the motorway and having ample free parking is always going to be a bonus for any hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed here for a few days last weekend with for the National Voice of Youth public speaking finals. Could not fault the staff who were very helpful and pleasant to deal with. There were two problems, however.

First, the room we stayed in (upstairs in the main building) had definitely seen better days.While it was spacious, the furniture could only be described as "well used." Worst example was the leatherette two seater lounge at the end of the bed which had cracked coverings on one of the arms with foam padding protruding from it. This is a really bad look for a chain like Rydges, which generally maintains quite reasonable standards. The venetian blinds had bent slats sticking out at strange angles. Bathroom floor tiles had large and obvious cracks and missing grout. I'd guess that the last renovation would have been in the 80's or early 90's, and this room is in great need of some attention.

Maybe some of the rooms in the newer parts of the hotel are OK, but the room we were in fell far short of an acceptable standard. Still, we had a nice view over the North Hobart Oval, and it was fun to check out the AFL game on Saturday afternoon.

Second, on the Saturday evening we had a buffet dinner for a reasonably large group, and as is the usual practice tables were invited to go to the buffet one at a time. We happened to be at the last table, and had to be delayed for a long time as the buffet was seriously under catered. It looked like the food ran out when about three quarters of the people had gone through. The staff did their best, but we had to wait while the kitchen rustled up some more food. I think it took about and hour and a half for our table to get to the buffet, and the offerings were pretty meager at that stage. We had to wait around for another 20 minutes, while the kitchen improvised a few more offerings. Under the circumstance the food that eventually appeared was not too bad. Every table was given a bottle of wine which was a nice gesture, and the wait staff really did their best.

Breakfast was OK, but coffee was very ordinary, weak and coming out of those pump action insulated jugs.

Bar prices were equivalent to 4 and 5 star places in Sydney and Melbourne, and I felt that they were a bit rich given the rather shabby environment. I was really surprised that the bar could not do an EFTPOS transaction and the bar girl had to take me to the front office to process it. Who pays cash these days, particularly for a $50 bottle of wine and $10 spirit?

The room was cheap, but I don't think in conscience they could charge any more. The room we stayed in may have been acceptable (just) in country hotels and motels of years gone by, or in the people's palace, but we are all used to a far better standard these days, particularly in an establishment associated with a name like Rydge and in a capital city.

Room Tip: Try the rooms outside the main building.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

It was fantastic to have the National Voice of Youth group stay with us last weekend and have received so much positive feedback from so many of the families. Unfortunately, some of our furtniture is in need of replacement and is definately something I am working on.

Appreciate your comments about the dinner. We were taken a little by surprise by the amount of food that was consumed but we should have taken into consideration that there were hungry teenagers there and that the dinner didnt start till 8.30pm, everyone would have been more than just a little hungry.

Thank you for acknowledging that the wine was a nice gesture and that the team did their best. It is something we will definately take away from this function and learn from moving forward.

I do hope I have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future so we can prove to you that we are constantly working hard at improving on all that we do.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed in the main building (upgraded apparently), it was a reasonable stay but they should pay a lot more attention to the fixtures and fittings. The 2 seater leather couch arms were falling apart (foam hanging out) and the curtains were hanging off of their tracks. Reception staff were friendly but should advise guests that after 9pm (I believe from memory) the front doors will be locked, only due to travel experience and noting the type of building I was staying in did I ask as this info was not offered.

The first morning an untrained staff member (their admission) did not advise that at breakfast you have a choice if the buffet or a cooked menu, suffice to say the buffet was bland at best and by the time it was realised I was entilted to a cooked breakfast I had lost my appetite. Actually breakfast staff were unattentive with no approach at all re coffee etc and compared to my other stays at Rydges Hotels I was very dissapointed ?

Overall I would be unlikely to stay there again, I stayed at many B&B's on a prior trip to Tas and found them to exceed this major hotel chains standards. I am not that hard to please but do expect the basics when I stay, unfortunatley I did not get that so would be very unlikely to recommend or stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

I must admit I was disappointed to read about your breakfast experience. For the very reason you mentioned re bland buffet breakfast, I removed the hot buffet entirely from our breakfast service, upgraded the cold options and hot food is all served a la carte. I will definately be speaking with the Restaurant Manager about the coffee service as this is the very reason we have the self service coffee/tea as well as the option of purchasing an espresso coffee should our guests prefer.

We do lock our front doors at 9pm purely as a safety precaution for our guests and the team, and I hope that it was only a matter of seconds that you had to wait from the time you lifted the phone receiver at the front door to the time one of the front office team were there to let you in. I will definately bring this up at our next weekly meeting and ensure these are being adhered to.

I do hope that you decide to give us another opportunbity to prove to you that we are constantly trying to improve on our levels of service and I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.