“Rydges Hobart Look After You!”

Rydges Hotel Hobart
Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in Hobart
penguin
“Rydges Hobart Look After You!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

4 of us recently occupied 2 rooms here, very central location only 15 minutes walk to Hobart, plenty of space in rooms, decent prices, very respectful and courteous staff, who only seem to have your comfort in mind, will gladly stay again, thanks Rydges Hobart.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ferralpumpkin
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are certainly receiving fantastic feedback about the team which brings me great joy as this is definately something we have been working on for some time.

Being only 2km for town, having easy access to the motorway and having ample free parking is always going to be a bonus for any hotel.

Danny Veis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Goulburn, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed here for a few days last weekend with for the National Voice of Youth public speaking finals. Could not fault the staff who were very helpful and pleasant to deal with. There were two problems, however.

First, the room we stayed in (upstairs in the main building) had definitely seen better days.While it was spacious, the furniture could only be described as "well used." Worst example was the leatherette two seater lounge at the end of the bed which had cracked coverings on one of the arms with foam padding protruding from it. This is a really bad look for a chain like Rydges, which generally maintains quite reasonable standards. The venetian blinds had bent slats sticking out at strange angles. Bathroom floor tiles had large and obvious cracks and missing grout. I'd guess that the last renovation would have been in the 80's or early 90's, and this room is in great need of some attention.

Maybe some of the rooms in the newer parts of the hotel are OK, but the room we were in fell far short of an acceptable standard. Still, we had a nice view over the North Hobart Oval, and it was fun to check out the AFL game on Saturday afternoon.

Second, on the Saturday evening we had a buffet dinner for a reasonably large group, and as is the usual practice tables were invited to go to the buffet one at a time. We happened to be at the last table, and had to be delayed for a long time as the buffet was seriously under catered. It looked like the food ran out when about three quarters of the people had gone through. The staff did their best, but we had to wait while the kitchen rustled up some more food. I think it took about and hour and a half for our table to get to the buffet, and the offerings were pretty meager at that stage. We had to wait around for another 20 minutes, while the kitchen improvised a few more offerings. Under the circumstance the food that eventually appeared was not too bad. Every table was given a bottle of wine which was a nice gesture, and the wait staff really did their best.

Breakfast was OK, but coffee was very ordinary, weak and coming out of those pump action insulated jugs.

Bar prices were equivalent to 4 and 5 star places in Sydney and Melbourne, and I felt that they were a bit rich given the rather shabby environment. I was really surprised that the bar could not do an EFTPOS transaction and the bar girl had to take me to the front office to process it. Who pays cash these days, particularly for a $50 bottle of wine and $10 spirit?

The room was cheap, but I don't think in conscience they could charge any more. The room we stayed in may have been acceptable (just) in country hotels and motels of years gone by, or in the people's palace, but we are all used to a far better standard these days, particularly in an establishment associated with a name like Rydge and in a capital city.

Room Tip: Try the rooms outside the main building.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
It was fantastic to have the National Voice of Youth group stay with us last weekend and have received so much positive feedback from so many of the families. Unfortunately, some of our furtniture is in need of replacement and is definately something I am working on.

Appreciate your comments about the dinner. We were taken a little by surprise by the amount of food that was consumed but we should have taken into consideration that there were hungry teenagers there and that the dinner didnt start till 8.30pm, everyone would have been more than just a little hungry.

Thank you for acknowledging that the wine was a nice gesture and that the team did their best. It is something we will definately take away from this function and learn from moving forward.

I do hope I have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future so we can prove to you that we are constantly working hard at improving on all that we do.

Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed in the main building (upgraded apparently), it was a reasonable stay but they should pay a lot more attention to the fixtures and fittings. The 2 seater leather couch arms were falling apart (foam hanging out) and the curtains were hanging off of their tracks. Reception staff were friendly but should advise guests that after 9pm (I believe from memory) the front doors will be locked, only due to travel experience and noting the type of building I was staying in did I ask as this info was not offered.

The first morning an untrained staff member (their admission) did not advise that at breakfast you have a choice if the buffet or a cooked menu, suffice to say the buffet was bland at best and by the time it was realised I was entilted to a cooked breakfast I had lost my appetite. Actually breakfast staff were unattentive with no approach at all re coffee etc and compared to my other stays at Rydges Hotels I was very dissapointed ?

Overall I would be unlikely to stay there again, I stayed at many B&B's on a prior trip to Tas and found them to exceed this major hotel chains standards. I am not that hard to please but do expect the basics when I stay, unfortunatley I did not get that so would be very unlikely to recommend or stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
I must admit I was disappointed to read about your breakfast experience. For the very reason you mentioned re bland buffet breakfast, I removed the hot buffet entirely from our breakfast service, upgraded the cold options and hot food is all served a la carte. I will definately be speaking with the Restaurant Manager about the coffee service as this is the very reason we have the self service coffee/tea as well as the option of purchasing an espresso coffee should our guests prefer.

We do lock our front doors at 9pm purely as a safety precaution for our guests and the team, and I hope that it was only a matter of seconds that you had to wait from the time you lifted the phone receiver at the front door to the time one of the front office team were there to let you in. I will definately bring this up at our next weekly meeting and ensure these are being adhered to.

I do hope that you decide to give us another opportunbity to prove to you that we are constantly trying to improve on our levels of service and I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.

Danny Veis

Travelers are raving about these Hobart hotels

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We have stayed at the Rydges Hobart for the last 8 nights. We found the staff very professional and always willing and happy to provide assistance. A personal thanks to Hatty, Stephen, Louis, Amber and Shirley for your warm smiles, local knowledge and most of all your attitude and approach to my 3 girls. ( Aged between 9 -13 ). We had the Antique suite & with 20 yrs + experience of working & staying in Hotels ( we holiday 2-3 times a year) across Australia this is the best one so far overall. I highly recommend this Hotel for people all ages. The food is fantastic & the chef easily adapted to my diet restrictions. The buildings are amazing and in regards to the location its a very comfortable walk to Hobart CDB. We will definitely return in the near future.

Room Tip: We liked the Antique suit as the size was fantastic with a family of 3 children. It does have a stai...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Once again, this is music to my ears. I will definately pass on my appreciation to the entire team because without them, none of this would be possible.

I know and understand how hard they have all been working and to receive feedback like this makes it all worthwhile.

I thank you and look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.

Mount Gambier, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at the Rydges in Hobart for the past 8 nights (a family of 3). We found the staff to be very friendly, especially Stephen in the bar. We visited Hobart for a hockey tournament and will definitely stay again and recommend to other friends. Our twin antique suite was fantastic for our needs and great value for money. It was very clean and the housekeeping staff were fantastic. The meals and drinks in the bar were very enjoyable. Highly recommend "The Rydges Hobart".

1 Thank DebbieW123
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
What more could I ask for. Great to hear that the team are living my dream, being friendly to our guests and the housekeepers and doing a good job keeping the rooms clean.

It is something we often talk about at our meetings and happy to see it is flowing through.

Hobart
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Rydges have started serving afternoon teas, so I decided it was time to visit somewhere we are always driving past.

I am in "two minds" when writing this review. With some strategic improvements this place could be more than excellent.

But my current opinion is that it is "average".

There is no reason why I would not go again if it was the right time/right place. But probably not for a special trip.

The good
- plenty of food
- leftovers packed up happily
- service was very friendly
- lovely old building, bar is woodpannelled and quite cosy
- convenient location with plenty of parking

Why just average?
- food needs to be fresher especially the scones and bread used for sandwiches
- bar prices are excessive the standard tasmanian wines are $12 a glass, house special is $8 (there seems to be the occasional happy hour during football season)
- tea bags used rather than leaves (not a big deal for me but its high tea!)
- aside from the creme caramel/brulee there was not much that could have been done better at home

At $25 a head the price is not too bad, so I will be interested to see if the afternoon tea idea works out for them.

Some advertising and maybe a champagne/afternoon tea combo on the weekends to take the bite our of the wine prices could see more customers, allowing more throughput and get the word out!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Natt
I appreciate your feedback regarding our High Tea and will definately bring your comments up with Chef. I do find the comment about freshness a little odd as we make everything on the premises and chef assures me that it is all being made fresh on the day but something I will definately follow up with him. We have been receiving fantastic feedback about the High Teas so far and bookings are becoming a lot more regular.

We have also just introduced a Chocolate High Tea, again the feedback has been incredible about not only the food but also the building and the level of service for these functions.

I do hope you come and give us another chance and perhaps trying the Chocolate High Tea or maybe having a mixture of both.

italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

I booked a week B/B for 2 people at this hotel through Webjet Melbourne in November last year, paid for in full. The hotel in question sent me the bill again in February this year, as of today I still haven't been paid back, Visa(my credit company in Milan), Webjet and the above mentioned hotel have been pushing papers and killing time

Room Tip: I think all the rooms were quiet
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
I understand you have been speaking with my Front Office Manager regarding this matter and as discussed, to this day we have still not received payment from Webjet for your stay last November.

I give you my word that once we receive payment from Webjet, I will personally arrange the refund to your credit card.

Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss this further.