“Beautiful beds, dissapointing glitches”

Rydges Hotel Hobart
Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We arrived at this hotel with little expectation, we were staying in a "superior king room" a blend of 70's meets today. The bed which is a "rydges dream bed" was amazing to sleep on and also jump on! these really are the beez neez of comfort as far as hotels go. I was severley dissapointed with the shower situation, even closing both doors whilst having a shower and the smoke alarm went off "apparently" the next thing you know i hear the room door open and someone pop their head in asking if there is a fire. No sir their wasn't but you've caught me and my partner fresh out of the shower.....

Anyway good location, ample parking and very friendly reception staff (amber) also their is no SPA at the premises as stated in your in room guides.

Room Tip: id suggest a superior king room .
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank stuiec7
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2012

Thanks you, we do receive a huge amount of very positive feeedback about the Rydges Dream beds.

I apologise that one of my team stuck their head in to see if there was a fire but under the Fire Dept regulations we must check every room in that particular part of the building if that is what is showing up on our fire boards. I myself woke a gentleman up by knocking on the door and entering the room but prevention has to be better than cure under these circumstances.

I will have the team go through and check the in room guides as these should all have been changed when we removed the spa and replaced it with a gym.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Location is good, but the room is a bit old with weird interior, a huge bathroom (but small bath and toilet) in the middle, and the living room and bed are small. You have to close both 2 bathroom doors when taking a shower otherwise you will trigger the smoke alarm. No dental kit and no slippers, internet service is very expensive. Have to carry the luggage up the stairs...no lift at all.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Being an older heritage style hotel we miss on having the lifts to the first floor rooms but the flip side is that the majority of the rooms have a bedroom and a separate lounge room with the fold down Murphy beds which is great for families travelling together.

By having the two separate rooms there are the two doors to the bathroom which need to be closed when having a shower or we do run the risk of setting off the smoke alarm.

Great to read that you found the location good. Many of our guests comment how quiet it is here and how beneficial it is to have so many free on site car parks.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Not sure if this was a good hotel once and is now sliding down the star scale, or a bad hotel making an effort. We were told that wines we ordered for dinner, weren't available because," it's the end of the month " I think I'm right in saying that there were only 3 wines off the wine list that could be had. The spirit choice was also extremely limited. The food was very good, both breakfast and dinner. The 2 room suite we had was spacious and comfortable. The cleaners haven't yet learned to clean behind doors and seems they need 2 days after complaints, to rectify this. A faulty internet connection lead was promised to be renewed the following morning. It was never renewed during the time we were there.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor rooms
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

I would like to think that we are a hotel trying to make improvements to achieve and exceed our guests expectations. The chef will be delighted to hear that you loved the food but am disappointed to read that the beverage selection was not up to our normal standard, something I will definately rectify immediately.

I will speak with the housekeeping and maintenance teams as well at our next morning meeting and ensure the items you speok about wil be attended to.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future so you can see for yourself the ongoing efforts we are making to raise the standards of the hotel.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

nice location in north hobart, plenty of off street parking and comfortable accom.
we stayed in this historic building, with queen bedroom, sep lounge, sep kitchen with full stove, sep bathroom with bath.
plenty of space, and a good online price for this style of accom, we also had breakfast cooked to order, very nice

Room Tip: hop onto the rydges website to get the best room rate
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at Rydges Hobart.

It is a lovely old historic building with spacious comfortable rooms and ample free on site parkling which is always a bonus.

Chef will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast. We do all of our hot breakfasts cooked to order as we believe we can deliver a better product to our guests every time.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I spent a month in Hobart one week in July a few years ago, and I wasn’t looking forward to returning in the dead of winter. But this cosy little hotel really hit the spot.

The woman taking reservations over the phone was delightful and only too happy to sell the benefits of the hotel. She booked us in on a great rate, including breakfast, which actually managed to meet my work’s less than generous travel allowance.

We arrived after dark and couldn’t really get a sense of the place, but the staff in the modest reception area were pleasant enough. Unfortunately we were given a room at the back of the property, which meant a series of confusing directions and an expedition through the under-lit, maze-like garden paths around the countless out-buildings. Thank God it wasn’t raining.

When we finally got to the room, the foyer and bathroom had a bit of a plastery, Grandma’s house feeling to it. But beyond that, the room was very spacious and had everything I needed. Once I killed the overhead fluorescent by the door, the room had a classic, warming ambiance. The heater worked well and the bed was comfortable.

The room service club sandwich was up to standard, and the three course dinner special with wine in the restaurant was really nice, and very reasonably priced. The breakfast in the restaurant too was delicious, with the light of day offering a pleasant view over the garden.

In fact, the classic old building had quite a lot of charm to it the next morning. As for location, we were a bit out of the action, such as it is in Hobart. But the taxi to Sandy Bay in peak hour didn’t take long.

I might not look forward to going back to Hobart, but I’ll enjoy returning to the Rydges.

Room Tip: Ask for a room either in, or close to the main building.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business

Its always great to read when our guests enjoyed not only their stay with us but also the interaction they have had with the team leading up to their arrival.

Chef will be particlarly pleased that you enjoyed not only your room service meal but the special menu that was implemented in the Manor Grill.

Being only five minutes from town gives you both the ease of access in and out of town without that mid town hustle and bustle noise. Many guests often comment on how quiet it is around the hotel, particularly of a night and the bonus of easy access to the Brooker Highway.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Having to travel for work to Hobart approximately every 2-3 weeks, I find that the Rydges is a friendly, relaxing and nice place to stay. It is located out of the often noisy CBD streets where all sorts of disturbances throughout the night tend to occur. Food in the Manor Restaurant is modern and always on the money, and if you had an extended stay and felt like a change then it it's located within a casual 10 minute stroll from the trendy North Hobart strip of restaurants and bars. Car parking is great not having to park below the hotel or in adjacent carparks, often within 20-30 metres from your room. Staff are always friendly whether it be at reception or in the restaurant. I travel to Melbourne every month and stay at Rydges Exhibition St, so I couldn't go without my Dream Bed when away from home ..... they are sensational.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay at Rydges on a regular basis then I strongly recommend joining up as a member...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2012

It's always great to read that our guests find the Rydges Hobart friendly, relaxing and a nice play to stay. It is definately something the team and I have been working on and Chef will appreciate your comments about the food in the Manor Grill. the new menu is attracting great feedback from all of our guests.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Although there were originally some hiccups with booking for a larger group we were all accommodated quite well upon arrival. The old building presents like an old boarding school and the rooms are also of that ilk which is a novelty and definitely not a bland run-of-the-mill motel room. I was extremely impressed with the space in our room; a huge living area, bed, kitchenette and airy spacious bathroom. Cupboards galore!

The sauna was great and we were the only ones utilising it. Yah!! Our room had views over the football oval which was unique. (Be a good one to book if there was football on of a weekend.)

Although it is a decent walk to the waterfront the location was great for our group and there were many excellent restaurants, shops and facilities within a short walk. It is in an historical part of Hobart with some interesting old buildings if you feel like checking out the neighbourhood.

The greatest disappointment was the breakfast, especially on the first day. It appears they hadn't anticipated the breakfast rush on a weekday and were short staffed even though there was a full house. Several people had to wait for well over an hour for their breakfast. A couple of people on the next table had to leave without breakfast as they had a schedule that couldn't be ignored. The staff that were there were stressed and became a little curt as the pressure mounted. The next day was better although it was a Saturday so possibly the attendances at breakfast were more spread out and there were more staff. We missed a ferry due to this too. However, the choice of foods available for breakfast was excellent and it was great value.

Room Tip: Ask which rooms have a view as some of them are definitely better than others.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank DebbieGeelong

The feedback we receive about the size of the rooms and the Rydges Dream Beds is incredible. You are correct in saying that it presents as a boarding school as it in fact was the old Deaf and Blind School prior to becoming the Northside Manor. On a day that the football is on, I can recommend the Presidentail Suite with a large lounge room and views directly over North Hobart oval.

I do understand that on occassion there is a slight wait for hot breakfast as all are prepared and served to order.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future so you can see for yourself the ongoing improvements we are making in our rooms and in the Manor Grill Restaurant.