“just not good enough”

Rydges Hotel Hobart
Ranked #33 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed October 30, 2011

we stayed only 1 night(27th october) in the old building.the only good point was the comfortable bed.the room had a large bathroom(very tired)with shower over the bath-ok,but it's 2011 now:the kitchen was 25 years past an update.no help with bags and you will get wet on a rainy day as the carpark is not that handy.there was no air con and the only window was screwed shut -we did manage to get the top sash of this double hung open -otherwise we would have suffocated-when i mentioned the screwed up window i was told there was a fan in the room---what the??.do not stay here if you think it is handy to the hobart cbd because it's not unless you have transport;north adelaide cafes etc are nearby.we presented our rydges card but were told it was invalid because we booked on the net-???doesn't everyone??we won't be back.to rydes.anywhere.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2011

It was great to hear that you enjoyed the Rydges Dream Bed as we do receive a lot of positive feedback about our beds but I was disappointed to hear that you didn’t enjoy the rest of your stay. Unfortunately, we do not have air conditioning in all of our rooms and having 105 free car spaces on sight can on occasion make it a short walk to the main building from the car park.
Due to the age of the building and the Heritage listing some of the windows do rattle with high winds, so in an attempt to ensure a better night sleep for our guests, and until we have permission to replace or repair we have screwed the bottom windows shut but is definitely on my list of things to try and get done.
I have also spoken with my front office team to ensure they are all aware of the RPG benefits and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. I look forward to the opportunity of looking after you in the future and showing you how we are continuously trying to improve in all aspects of what we do here in Hobart.

Reviewed October 27, 2011

Fantastic rooms and the best beds I have slept in. The food and service is very good. Loved it!

The location is on the edge of town but it is only a five minute walk to the restaurant street. 20 minute walk to town.

• Stayed: October 2011
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2011

Hi,
The size of our rooms at Rydges Hobart and the Rydges Dream beds often receive great feedback from our guests. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your food and beverage experience whilst staying with us as well. Our new Restaurant Manager and New Head Chef are definately having a very positive impact on our guests dining experience.
I look forward to the opportunity of looking after you again in the near future.

Reviewed October 17, 2011

Stayed for 5 nights and had a comfortable "antique suite". Very clean and contained all necessary amenities. Some of the furniture was a bit tatty and bathroom floor tiles cracked.

Great view down to Hobart City. About a 1 km brisk walk to North Hobart restaurant/dining precinct.

Breakfast room was pleasant and the bar room was splendid. Staff were engaging and gave great service.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JackKooringal

I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the team engaging and helpful. The furniture in some of the rooms is something we are looking into and the cracked tiles is on our maintenance program so appreciate you brining them to my attention.

Reviewed October 8, 2011

My main reason for choosing to stay at this Rydges property is because of their priority guest program. You only have to stay 10 or 12 nights at a Rydges property and once you complete this you get 1 night free. We find this quite appealing as we have many short stays to Melbourne and enjoy the Rydges Melboure. As we only needed 2 more nights stay for a free night I thought we would try Rydges Hobart in our own state. The grounds and reception are beautiful, the staff are very friendly and polite but the actual guest rooms are terrible. It is so dark, drab and whilst the bed comfortable the bathroom is seriously outdated with a funny little wall heater attached and a very ugly looking sink and toilet. I wasnt even able to apply makeup etc properly in the bathroom as the mirror was recessed back behind the sink so was quite tricky to lean over the sink to see in to the mirror properley. The price of room is very good, was only $120 per night and amenities in hotel are good. I would stay again but only if I am chasing points for my priority membership. I would be hesitant in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Unsure of this as I cannot imagine that any of the rooms are any different.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2011

I was very glad to hear that you considered us to be good value for money and that the team were polite and helpful, but not so glad to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay because the room was dark and the bathroom outdated.
I will be discussing this with my maintenance manager to see if we can find a way to generate better lighting in our rooms. I look forward to the opportunity of looking after you again in the future so we can show our continued efforts in improving on the Rydges Hobart's service and old world charm.

Reviewed September 24, 2011

For the price I expected a queen size bed. Infact I can't understand why any accommodation now bothers with double beds.

The room could have been cleaner but I've seen a lot worse.

The "Antique" room was furnished with old furniture but it was in good condition.

Whoever set the place out as a hotel motel had obviously never travelled much.

The evening meal was a little sparten for the price but was very nice. Breakfast was good.

All in all not bad but not great, definatly average.

Room Tip: Make sure parking is outside the room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your meals whilst staying with us but a little dissapointed that you weren't happy with the bed. All of our Manor and Superior rooms have the Rydges Dream Beds which are either king or king singles but our Antique Suites have the 4 poster beds which can only accomodate a double bed.
You are correct in saying that guests should try to get parking outside their room if possible as we do have a large carpark and offer 105 free carparking spaces to hotel guests.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed August 29, 2011

Loved: - the easy and free parking, the very quiet location, the proximity to many restaurants and shops, the absolutely enormous presidential suite with huge spa, the super comfy beds, the A1 value for money, the very good cooked breakfast as well as the continental breakfast buffet, the friendly and professional service. Good to have a kitchenette and room service.
Not quite convinced about the decor... in the presidential suite, there is a huge buffet which contains about 3 dishes and is otherwise empty! The whole room needs a spruce up - the carpet is worn, the bathroom appears to have been 'done up' several times in not-quite-matching colours, and the telescope seemed to be broken. The windows could also do with a really good clean.
Didn't try the pool but I believe it is closed over the winter.
Overall though - great value for money and good location if you have a car to get down to the Hobart CBD.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our Presidential Suite. It is definately much admired by the large variety of guests that use this room, from Brides and Grooms on that special night to travelling business people who need the room for meetings/functions during the day to long stay guests whom just want that little bit of extra room.
Also great to hear about the service and the meals you received and I will be discussing your feedback with the management team as we strive to exceed our guests expectations.
The windows were definately due to be cleaned and all of the windows in the entire hotel have just been done as part of the ongoing cleaning contract. The pool is normally open all year round but the pool and surrounding area is currently undergoing an upgrade which will be finished well in time for summer.

Your Sincerely

Reviewed August 28, 2011

Driving into the grounds the National Trust building was quite impressive along with the internal decor at Reception. We had booked on line a King suite at $119, hot cooked breakfast $10 extra pp, being very reasonable. Our room was in the newer section of the Hotel upstairs overlooking the oval (we were not aware there was an oval metres away.) On entering the suite the bedroom was on the right then an ensuite with no bath between the small loungeroom and bedroom. There were 2 very stained old chairs in front of the television, no comfortable lounge. No TV in the bedroom. The wood work around the windows was water marked from leakage, no fly screens on opening windows, old badly aligned cupboards in the kitchenette located in the hall way. There was a pull down bed in the loungeroom behind the two chairs. Internet access was $29 per 24 hours or 0.79cents per minute (far too excessive). The TV programs were advertised as having the Discovery Channel but this was not the case. In the bathroom was a plastic safety razor covering and empty soap wrapper from the previous guest. The shower nozzle was very old without any adjustment to flow of water or flexibility. The laminex around the sink had peeled off revealing old uneven timber. This was certainly not our idea of a luxury suite in a 5 star Hotel. The staff on reception and in the restaurant at breakfast were very friendly and professional. The Eggs Benedict was probably close to the best I had ever had but lacking presentation. Parking was free and convenient but no elevator, we had two flights of steps carrying suitcases to our floor, no access for the disabled. The windows are single glass and the noise from the oval was very loud and continuous until dark then started up the next morning early before breakfast. If you are wanting a quiet retreat this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the building away from the oval, not a great view but definately quiet...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple