Excellent location with the Salamnca markets, art galleries and restaurants just outside the front door. Battery Point park and kiddie's playground just up the road and a short stroll from Arthur's Circle and Jackman & McRoss bakery.
The accom itself is wonderfully spacious. We had 2 toilets, a balcony, a private terrace, a spa bath, and over-all we really enjoyed our stay. However, the stinginess of management with regard to cutlery, crockery and glassware is ridiculous. Two forks, two knives, two teeny wine glasses etcetera is insulting and impractical, particularly given that we had a six seater dining room table! How on earth could we be expected to entertain friends with only two of everything (which was even more silly considering there were three of us staying there). Like the other Somerset property in Hobart, we felt a bodum would be good, or coffee bags, but not the motor inn standard of tea & coffee facilities on offer.
The hotel staff were excellent and professional, but it is inconvenient having to commute at beginning and end of the stay between this property and Somerset on the Pier where the actual office is. I observed two different families puzzled and inconvenienced at the intercom by the door asking how on they should check in. Being told you need to hike off on a 20 min return walk to check in was not what they wanted to hear, after what was presumably a busy day of travel.
The interior needs a total over-haul - It is far too 1980s for this price range. Over-all it lacks the wow factor.
Next time I visit Hobart I will not stay here despite the ultra convenient location. I think I'll opt for something in Battery Point instead, or more boutique options on Salamanca, where there would be more ambience at a more affordable price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in historic Salamanca Place, home to the famous Salamanca Market and within Hobart’s magnificent and exciting waterfront, Somerset on Salamanca is your ideal residence for comfort and convenience. Wander around the city only moments away and take in the classic architecture of Hobart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Somerset on Salamanca, Hobart reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Somerset On Salamanca, Hobart Hotel Hobart
- Somerset On Salamanca, Hobart Tasmania