“Brilliant staff BUT the hotel sucks (can I say that!!)”

Grand Chancellor Hotel Hobart
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Stayed in an executive suite for 3 nights on the 19th floor of a 10 story hotel. Check the lift buttons. Location fantastic. Staff fantastic, as good or better than the Pen in Bangkok or Shangri La in Singapore.
The hotel is OLD and needs money spent on it NOW. The windows are single glass and although the views are great the hotel is situated between two major roads and all night the area was turned into the Hobart Grand Prix circuit. I normally can sleep upside down hanging from my ankles but it was too much even for me.
My next door occupant was either having a great session on the bed or had celebrated too much. Must say it was better listening than the traffic.
Our furniture was uncomfortable, so much we could not sit in the lounge to watch television. The a/c was rattling away so much it was better without it.
The bed linen was from the 70,s.
Now this review is based on the BEST room I could get. What are the others like.
I stayed 3 days because the wife took ill and the staff provided all we asked in a timely and totally professional Tassie way. Come on owners, look after your best asset, I personally could not work under these conditions for you.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank archerymart
There are newer reviews for Grand Chancellor Hotel Hobart

Reviewed August 20, 2009

I am surprised by the previous reviews. I was in town on business with my wife and my conference had me staying at the Old Woolstore Hotel across the street. We only made it two days there before we had to seek better accomodations at the Grand Chancellor. We found the Grand Chancellor to be a very pleasant and comfortable hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. It was night and day difference between the Grand Chancellor and the Old Woolstore. I see no reason to stay anywhere else than the Grand Chancellor when in Hobart.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank JWSFlorida
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Arrived on a Wednesday night for 2 nights. When I got to my room the windows were shuddering from the wind - didn't close very well. I was told I would have a harbour view room but you could only see the harbour if you went to the corner of the room and peered out the window. Ordered room service for dinner - eye fillet steak - I got it and it was cold - and I got about 2 bites without grissle in it. It was hard and disgusting. I couldn't eat it. The "free" movie channel had something wrong with it and it was all fuzzy. Internet was down for days - something I wasn't told about at the time of booking. I couldn't turn the fan knob on the heater unit which was located on the bedside table (very 80's) The next morning ordered room service for breakfast which I asked for Tea as a drink and I received a tea bag and a litre of milk. That was it and a cold breakfast. Went out for dinner that night and then ordered room service for breakfast the next morning and it was also cold and when I ordered tea this time I got a pot of hot water but no tea bag. Very unprofessional - especially for a 4.5 star hotel. All I heard all night was trucks passing and the traffic light signals for pedestrians. It would have to be the worst hotel I have stayed at. Will definately never stay here again. The only thing good was the staff who were quite friendly.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Travelling_Pepi
Reviewed August 5, 2009

It wss convenient for our short stay in the city but not warm or cozy . if there fro business in the city it is good.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2009

We stayed here because it was part of a travel deal with Virgin, and it worked out quite cheap. For the price, the room was very nice - clean, all the amenities you'd expect, etc. The Tasman downstairs had great food when we ate in, but on one night we ordered room service and it was awful - flavorless, and only just warm. The breakfast ($28!) was also a waste of money (cold, hardly any choice, nothing refilled whilst we there). On the plus side, the check in staff were very helpful and friendly, and the location was very convenient for us. The view from our floor was gorgeous. I'd only stay here again if I got a good deal, and I would make sure to eat out!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2009

Stayed here for the convenience of conference being held on site. Location and views are excellent but a lot hangs on this. Getting up and having no hot water was a shock to the system to start the day. The decor was adequate but dated. Staff were pleasant and helpful. Avoid breakfast here as you can do better across the road at the cafes alomg the harbour. Same can be said for the evening meal plenty of good restaurants across the road or within 5 min walk. Great meal and good value at the drunken admiral but you may need to book ahead does get quite busy. We think you can get better value elsewhere in close proximity.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank travelingmacs
Reviewed May 28, 2009

Travelled to Hobart for business meetings, first time in Hobart. Checked in and received a free upgrade to a harbor view which was awesome. Be warned, that the container facility is diagnally opposite and operates throughout the night. The windows in the GC are obviously not double glazed to block noise and I was woken up at 2:30 a.m. by the forklifts loading containers. However, when I complained the staff immediately agreed to move me to the other end of the motel, away from the problem (from room 1920 to 1910). This was also a harbor view room and was much quieter. I would stay again and request a room at this end. The rooms and spacious and well fitted out, the view of the harbor is incredible and the location is just FANTASTIC. I ate at the 'Drunken Admiral' straight opposite the GC, check it out, its an award winner and is moderately priced and uniquely furnished.

I enjoyed regular swims and workouts in the gym, the staff were very helpful and friendly, the breakfast was nice and the billing process was error free. I don't think you could ask for much more, well done.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business