“Cossy and great views”

Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Brisbane, Australia
“Cossy and great views”
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

We booked a special that they were offering and was more then we expected. Turned up at the front door to have car valet parked then when we went to our room we had a bottle of champers wanting. When looking out the window we were looking straight across the road from Constitution Dock and Derwent what a veiw and bed was to die for. Loved the stay.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trevor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Right opposite constitution dock and 5 minutes walk to Salamanca Markets.
Water view room had a large window with an amazing view across the water. Rooms are a fair size, bathroom fine but nothing to right home about.
Staff efficient and obliging.

Room Tip: Waterview room great
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sandie C
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We were kindly granted an upgrade to a Superior Harbour View room and I couldn't help exclaiming on the view of Sullivan's Cove and the distant wider harbour, every time I ventured into our room. It is SUPERB. We stayed on the 18th floor and I wouldn't ever consider staying at this hotel without booking a similar room. Sometimes a view just "transports one" into seventh heaven, and this view did this for me. We found the staff very pleasant and helpful. The hotel is situated close to restaurants and cafes, and a short walk to the centre of the city. The cafe and restaurant on site is very convenient and pleasant. Expect to pay hotel prices, of course, for the convenience. Our room was spacious and very comfortable and had been given a thorough clean after my prior request, due to respiratory allergies. I appreciated this.
Negatives? - just 2 minor things. The bathroom bath/shower half-screen has been bolted in place. This means that the shower/bath taps are not accessible unless one is actually standing in the bath - meaning either straight hot or straight cold water pours on top of one until one can quickly adjust the controls. Also, if lying down in the bath, the taps are halfway up the wall, so cannot add more water without standing up out of one's nice warm soak! Whoever designed this bath/shower obviously didn't try it first. Secondly, we did miss viewing ABC TV. The reception on this Channel 2 TV station was very poor with significant visual disturbance (other stations were OK). The young lady on Reception, tried to tell us that it was a broadcasting fault from the ABC. We phoned the ABC (were keen to watch a particular program) and they said that there were no problems with broadcast reception and to ask the hotel to do certain things to fix the problem. Despite one or two young men attempting to fix this, (Friday evening) it was still a problem. We were told that they would have the technicians in to fix it the next day, but when we tried the ABC the next day, the problem was stil occurring.
Apart from these 2 niggles, we had a great stay there. I would happily recommend it and would certainly be pleased to stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor when next in Hobart.

Room Tip: Stay on high floors overlooking the Harbour.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank G T
Hobart
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We had a great weekend at the Grand Chancellor Hobart. Staff were so friendly and helpful. Breakfast and dinner were really good value for money. Very clean and comfortable rooms - beds were extremely comfortable. Will definitely be staying there next time we visit Hobart which we hope won't be far away!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Joycekenn
Mt Eliza, Australia
Reviewed July 16, 2014

If you want to stay in a large Starwood/Marriott/Hilton-type hotel in Hobart, the Grand Chancellor is pretty much your only option. I spent a couple of nights here on a work trip in May and all in all I was happy with my stay.

Positives:
- Waterside location.
- Large spacious rooms, recently renovated, good bathrooms.
- Really excellent buffet breakfast. Great selection, efficient & friendly staff. The restaurant runs like clockwork.

Negatives:
- A slight feeling that the hotel is trying to extract every cent possible from its customers. When I checked in, the clerk at the front desk ran through a long list of options and upgrades and the extra price for each. It was my first visit to the hotel so I wasn't expecting anything extra for free but I couldn't help thinking that if most hotels were as empty as he was making the GCH sound, they would offer some of the things he mentioned as complimentary.
- Diabolically bad and over-priced WiFi. I had to ring the help desk three times in my two days at the hotel - the kid on the line was obviously very used to taking the same complaints I had, which was that every time I started a new session the WiFi gateway wanted me to pay, even though I'd bought a 2-day pass the first time I signed in. The WiFi didn't work at all in the restaurant and was flaky in my room.

I would recommend always using a booking site like Wotif if you're considering the Grand Chancellor. Room prices seem to vary wildly. If you can get a room for around $150 and don't care about WiFi, I'd recommend giving the GCH a go. I would not recommend it at the rack rate.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Pumbelchook
Melbourne
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Had a weekend in hobart for my husband's birthday and although we normally stay at Old Woolstore chose to stay at this hotel. We booked 2 renovated rooms and couldnt have been happier. The thought that went into the bathroom design was ingenius, Being female and having the mirrors positioned to see the back of your head (to see what your crazy hair is up to) was great. Checkin and checkout was proffessional and efficient. Had great water views and although on busy road traffic not a problem.

Room Tip: Opt for a water view on a higher level.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank cjb008
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Visiting Tassie from Melbourne, arrived at HGCH and were pleasantly surprised to receive a free upgrade to a suite! Room was amazing with fantastic views, staff incredibly friendly and helpful! Wish we were staying for more than one night! Will definitely stay here next time!

Stayed July 2014