Grand Chancellor Hotel Hobart
Ranked #3 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

We have a child with dietary requirements and the kitchen staff were fantastic. They made our stay in Hobart wonderful. It has an amazing position and is close to the cbd. Caters for conferences very well.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Superprofits
Write a ReviewReviews (4,662)

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed here in August 2013 for a conference. Situated in a great spot, close to everything. We stayed on the 14th floor with a water view which was lovely. Unfortunately it was noisy from the pedestrian traffic beeper and cars outside:( Room was very clean but does need a face lift. Great atmosphere in the bar downstairs but unfortunately I didn't like the brekkie. Due to the size of the conference the lifts 3 of them, but only 2 working, were very slow. The staff were very good and helpful.

Room Tip: I think perhaps mountain side might be quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We have just enjoyed a wonderful weekend away in Hobart. While I loved at the smaller more exclusive hotels I was sooooo happy with our choice. I think this hotel has thr best views in town. It was excellent priced accommodation - awesome view, bed and pillows very comfy and perfect location

Room Tip: Ask for one with harbour view - it is worth the extra cost
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FlissD40
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed last night, had a 'Superior Mountain view room' on floor '20' (which is really 13 floors high) - top floor, stunning views of the city and mountains, with a very large window to soak in the view. nice furniture and decor and nice bathroom. The staff were very kind and helpful, (reception lent me a charger for my phone) - First time in Hobart, will be my first stop for any future visits. - Just one thing, like 99% of other hotels they charge ridiculous prices for breakfast ($29)

Room Tip: Choose the superior room, I didn't see the older rooms but the refurbished rooms are great.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Matthew M
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Beautiful lobby, bar and restaurant. Rooms very clean and comfortable with a variety of pillows :-) Great view of the harbour. Within walking distance of Hobart City and Salamanca. As we were there for a karate tournament didn't get the chance to use the pool or gym amenities so can't comment on those. Initial booking done by Karate Victoria, but I had booked an additional night after that. Received phone call to say I should have checked out, even though I had received email confirmation of extra night. Had to cancel the rest of my day at the tournament to return to hotel and sort it out. By the time I got there, they had found my email - didn't bother calling me to tell me this and save me the trip back! Their attitude was as if they were doing ME a huge favour letting me stay an extra night even though it was their error.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2013

On business in Hobart Wednesday 5th Sept to 6th Sept 2013 and stayed at The Grand Chancellor.
From the moment I entered the building, the service by all staff (be they Reception, Porters Cleaning, Restaurant and Bar), was one of complete friendliness, politeness and a genuine willingness to help.
All smiled and greeted you - very warm, welcoming and friendly- can't say I have experienced this atmosphere in a long time. Especially loved the way the cleaning staff looked you in the eye, smiled and asked how your day was going. The staff should be commended (give them a pay rise :) )
The room was first class and on level 18, extremely clean and the view over the harbour was sensational. The cleaning staff even found my missing cuff link, called me and posted it home to me. I stay at many large city hotels and this one beats them all hands down!
I am now organising a holiday just to go back and "chill out" with my wife and enjoy this place.
I have in the past read comments that have been negative about the hotel, but I would most certainly just discount them - I can’t actually think of something negative to say about this place.
Tip: Make sure you ask for a harbour view high up in the building – you won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: Tip: Make sure you ask for a harbour view high up in the building – you won’t be disappointed
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed overnight in the Superior Mountainside room and it was wonderful! Our room was on the 15th floor and on the corner and it had the most spectacular views of the main roads through Hobart, Mount Wellington and the harbour! The room itself was well presented and we absolutely loved the king-size bed! So comfortable.
We did not try the restaurant or the room service but perused the menus and found them to be reasonably priced for the quality of dishes on offer.
The pool, gym and sauna were great value as well but there could be better signage for where the sauna was located. We spent a good five minutes trying to find it and we about to give up until I had gone into the change rooms and found the entrance to it in there!
Our stay was on a Saturday night and did not find noise to be a problem ( we didn't even bother to close the curtains ) but that may be different on the lower floors.
The parking fee was good at $9 for self parking overnight but $18 for valet parking seemed a bit steep!
We had an enjoyable anniversary stay and would highly recommend the Grand Chancellor!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple