I have stayed here on a number of occasions over the past two years and its my favourite hotel to stay in Hobart.
Firstly, its in the best location in Hobart right opposite the harbour and a stone's throw from Salamanca. It is also considerably cheaper than its direct competition the Henry Jones Hotel (check out www.Wotif.com.au for specials) which is beautiful but over-rated in my opinion. Secondly, the hotel might not be an oil painting on the outside but it is undergoing major refurbishment of its rooms on the inside and already the top floors have been updated to a very high standard (the original rooms are also fine - we have stayed in both). The rooms are spacious and comfortable and the newly decorated rooms contemporary and elegant, some of the rooms have fluffy robes and slippers and sensational views. Lobby areas also have sensational views, including the ground floor bar.
You can also choose between mountain view rooms or harbour view rooms and they even offer a 2 day 'green stay' special - great for the environment, great for guests pockets! We find the prices to stay here via Wotif very competitive out of peak season. Thirdly, the staff have always been very helpful and courteous in our experience. Finally, its the first hotel I have stayed in (and I have stayed in many) that has given me a free upgrade plus a quality free bottle of sparkling wine when I mentioned in passing that it was a special anniversary (they have done this again since!!). I did not ask for special treatment the hotel and did not expect anything but we were ushered up to our free upgraded newly renovated room with glorious views of the harbour! I was very impressed and more than pleasantly surprised and this rare gesture (in this greedy world) really made our evening! Thank you Grand Chancellor!
However, the hotel IS not perfect and it would not be a fair review without mentioning some negatives. In my opinion they are:
1. It is a conference hotel so during conference season can get booked out fast, room prices tend to go up I have noticed and it can be a bit squeezy to say the least in the bar. Luckily the hotel is so enormous internally that even when full you can still escape the throngs. The hotel also contains the theatre venue for the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra so it can get busy then too when there is an event on (though mainly before the start).
2. No free parking. There is Valet parking but you have to pay $25. You can park yourself in a car park but its not very convenient when you are travelling on your own and cannot leave your bags in the foyer unattended and have to stagger up with them from the car park.
3. Room Service Food wasn't great (tried twice) and our breakfasts have been pretty standard (okay but nothing to write home about) to the point we tend to eat breakfast out now if we stay there (though this could be said of most of Hobart's hotels). Could do better with food! 4 star hotel BUT not 4 star food I am sorry Grand Chancellor - its your weak spot!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When it comes to staying in Hobart the only place to be is on the waterfront at Hotel Grand Chancellor Hobart, featuring some of the best views in the city. Overlooking the River Derwent and Constitution Dock, this Tasmanian hotel is just minutes away from popular attractions like Salamanca Place, Battery Point and the Central Business District, but intimate enough to ensure a perfectly relaxing experience. Enjoy the comfort, space and facilities of one of Hobart’s largest hotels. Work out in our state-of-the-art fitness centre or enjoy a rejuvenating swim in the heated indoor pool. Meet for drinks in The Atrium Lounge or reserve a table at the popular Restaurant Tasman, where magnificent harbour views meet contemporary cuisine. For meetings and special events, the hotel offers a range of meeting rooms from intimate boardrooms and meeting spaces right up to major convention facilities. Uncover the best of Hobart at Hotel Grand Chancellor, which brings the perfect measure of style and substance to accommodation on the waterfront. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Chancellor Hotel Hobart reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hobart Grand Chancellor
- Grand Chancellor Hobart
- Grand Chancellor Hotel Hobart Tasmania