“Tour was average, restaurant and gardens are the highlight”
Review of Cascade Brewery

Cascade Brewery Tour
Ranked #11 of 146 things to do in Hobart
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Step inside Australia's oldest operating brewery, nestled at the foot of the majestic Mount Wellington, to learn how Cascade has been crafting beer since 1832. Our guides will share Cascade's fabled recipe; a dash of history, a healthy dose of Tasmania's finest ingredients and a generous serve of brewing craft. You can take a tour or just relax and enjoy Cascade beers and Mercury ciders, savour a delicious lunch and wander our three acres of heritage gardens. The Visitor Centre is open 7 days a week between 10am - 5pm, excluding Good Friday and Christmas day and tours operate daily.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed February 10, 2010

We went on the Cascade Brewery tour in February 2010. There were four of us - myself and my partner and my sister and her partner.

You will only get let on the tour of the Brewery if you are wearing long trousers, socks and closed-in shoes - and the tour guides exercise that rule quite vigorously. Even though she went to the trouble of arriving for the tour wearing closed-in shoes, my sister felt pretty embarassed when she had to put on a pair of socks which were pulled out from a box of assorted second-hand clothing that the tour guides keep there. We thought that was a bit unnecessary. Two men participating in the tour were terribly embarassed by having to put on a pair of old trousers from the clothing box because they had turned up to the Brewery in shorts. So if you are going on the tour, make sure you wear the proper clothing so that you're not humiliated in front of the group when you get there.

The tour itself was pretty average - a lot of talking and standing around. The tour guide we had was extremely knowledgeable and quite passionate about beer, but she talked almost a bit too passionately, as if we were all beer fanatics, and even though my partner and my sister's partner are beer lovers, this was lost on us a bit.

After the tour we went to the bar in the restaurant and each handed over our 3 beer tasting tokens and received our 3 free midis of beer. The tasting was kind of lost on me because you can buy each of the beers at the liquor store, it's not as if they are particularly boutique or "special" beers.

After the tasting, we had a meal in the restaurant and this was the highlight of the day. The food was just beautiful (three of us had the beer battered fish and chips and one of us had the pork). The food was to die for. Then after we had finished our meal we went out and walked around the gardens for 20 minutes. The gardens are just superb.

I really wouldn't recommend the tour to just anyone - you really have to be a complete and absolute beer nut to really appreciate the tour. My advice is: go to the Brewery but skip the tour and have a lovely meal of beer battered fish and chips in the restaurant and walk around the gardens.

5  Thank Sarah2007Sydney

Reviewed January 4, 2010

The gardens are beautiful, the location is picture postcard, the beer tasting at the end was excellent, but the tour itself was pretty average.

There was a lot of talking by the guide but not really a great deal was seen of the brewery itself. It is very old and quite small and cramped, and probably parts of the process don't lend themselves to a group visit, but having seen a number of other breweries in other countries, unfortunately this one was pretty unimpressive.

1  Thank tfitzp
Reviewed May 19, 2008

This was very interesting and the tour guide was excellent. I was leary about going at first, but the guide made the trip all the worthwhile. I would definitely go again. The free beer tasting at the end was excellent as I got to try about every type of Cascade there is. I wouldn't call this a must see, but I would recommend it if you find the time.

4  Thank Army_Dude
Reviewed January 3, 2008

Our guide sounded like a Top 4 DJ and kept asking questions (rather than stating facts) like, "How many beers does Cascade make?" Very irritating.
the tour itself is ok, but only 3 small beers for the entry price is a bit of a rip off.

5  Thank dangermandownunder
Reviewed September 14, 2006

Great history, free beer.
What more do you want?