“Historic and Old”
Review of Macquarie Manor

Macquarie Manor
Ranked #31 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a conversion of an old building which looks good on the web but is a very bad conversion. There is no common space, except for a breakfast room with no windows, which also serves as the enterance to the rear rooms. These rooms have no exterior windows and are entered via verandah. The plumbing is very basic and all the fittings are the cheapest available. There may be better rooms as is shown on other reviews on tripadvisor, so make sure you see the room first.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank TOI_12
There are newer reviews for Macquarie Manor

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The room we had didn't have a window which is always a bit negative. The car parking was adequate for a small car like ours. The location is central and the service from the people filling in at reception was very good. The cleanliness was ok. It cost us $99 using wotif mystery hotel and that was about right for what we got.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dean M
Reviewed April 13, 2013

booked this room online as a overnighter in hobart had a front room ground floor overlooking the street big windows great to watch the world go by from what felt like my private 1900s drawing room lots of space big bed and sitting area with entry without having to go though repcetion really has a feel you can only really find in hobart quite part of the CBD but quick walk to main street and harbour overall a great location check in and check out where quick and informed breakfast good and cheap I would stay again next time I am in hobart

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank oscar c
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I booked this laughably self-rated four-star “luxury heritage” hotel through a Wotif mystery hotel special. On arrival, it was more reminiscent of an old boarding house, and at the hallway alcove that passed for reception, I was abruptly asked for my credit card to swipe. I was then led through the dingy dining room out back to my dark cavern of a room, with a ceiling higher than the room was narrow, and a window onto the hallway. Oh well, the rate was cheap and after hiking the Overland Track, a hot shower (when the hot water eventually flowed through the old pipes) and a soft bed was heaven.
I was flying out next afternoon, so asked about a late checkout, but the manager said it was $25 for every 30 minutes after 10 am, adding some tardy guests were surprised to be hit with this charge later (I wonder why!). He was thinking about putting a sign in the room about it, no doubt to add to his existing collection of signs, telling guests what not to do and threatening penalties. Guests serve the hotel here it seems, not the other way around.
Next morning, I was told I could safely leave my pack in the dining room. I had a few hours to kill and asked what might be open on Good Friday. “Don’t know, you’ll have to find out for yourself,” I was told with a practised smile. When I returned, my bag was sitting in the hallway. Not exactly secure left luggage, but I said goodbye, happy to leave behind this Tasmanian Fawlty Towers, vowing never again to book a Wotif mystery room.
I thought nothing more of this forgettable hotel, until a week later I found an unauthorised $25 deduction from my credit card. When I queried it over the phone, I was told I had been charged for “excessive body odour”. Hahahaha, I kid you not. Granted, I had been hiking in the Tasmanian wilderness for four days, and probably was a bit smelly on arrival, but what an appalling, offensive, inappropriate, unprofessional, offhand, cowardly and ultimately gouging way to handle a sensitive and embarrassing matter. The manager not only accused me of smelling out reception, requiring airing of the hotel, but of making the room and bed uninhabitable to justify his charge. After having my personal hygiene impugned for the first time in my life, and all but branded a toxic biohazard, I now think this mickey mouse hotel, with its miserable grasping attitude and punitive service, sums up Tasmania’s amateurish tourism industry. Avoid this hotel, and Tasmania!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
17  Thank thanksalotyl
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I liked the place it is something different from the regular holiday inn, marriotts etc that I normally stay at. Think of it as a 3.5 star and get a good rate and you should get good value for your dollar.
Location is good. Room was large with two bed and a sitting area. Bathroom is small, but shower was hot and good, heating lamps, clean. Bed was ok, had better, had worse.
Kettle had a fauly opening and peanuts in minibar were out of date but otherwise everything was fine.
There are 2 flights of steps up to the rooms.
Lady at reception was friendly. No reception before 7am when I departed so just dropped keys.
Anyone who says the rooms are dark hasnt travelled to the USA before, lighting is ok.
I wasnt sure if internet was included or was going to be charged. Parking is limited behind the property, i believe it is free, however they ask you to leave keys.
In summary for the dollars I paid I was happy.
shuttle from airport is $17 1 way or $30 return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel looks beautiful from the outside, and perfectly located for a trip to Salamanca. But as other reviewers have mentioned, there is certainly no doorman: I carried my bag up and down several flights of stairs. As other reviewers have mentioned, the rooms are dark and merely old fashioned (rather than 'heritage'), and I too thought I smelled stale cigarette smoke when I entered my room, but maybe it's just the effect of being on a major road. It's an old building so I expect creaks when people walk around but there is no soundproofing and I could hear other guests' TVs and conversations, which means they could probably hear mine too.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Lebeq
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is the second time my husband and I have stayed at Macquarie Manor and we absolutely love this place! The staff are super friendly and helpful, the room we stayed in was spacious and beautifully decorated with heritage decor. I love how much character this wonderful hotel has! The room is like your own little getaway. Once the door is closed you can't hear any noise from other rooms or from the streets. Breakfast was lovely, we had the hot breakfast almost everyday we were there and were never in want for more. It is the perfect location- short walk to shopping, cafes, movies, park, and wharf- and ticks all the boxes for us! Would highly recommend staying here. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: November 2012