“Very nice B&B”

Ranked #29 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Sydney, Australia
“Very nice B&B”
Reviewed March 29, 2008

I booked this cause the expensive 'funky' hotel I wanted for my hubbys birthday was booked out and so didn't want some 2nd rate hotel corporate oriented one instead. Then I saw on Trip Advisor this was number 1, I could see it was only a b&b but number 1 is number 1!

So my verdict is it was lovely, bed was comfy, the room was nice, it was at the front of the house (left of front door as you enter) and the traffic noise was not a problem at all. The staff were lovely and it was very clean and snug but the only minute criticism I'd have is at breakfast they serve eggs and meat in the same hot plates, so not so good if you don't eat meat. However I emailed them this comment and they replied immediately thanking me for my suggestion which I was impressed with, would be interested to know if they acted on it ....

Hobart (pop. 200k) is really easy to navigate as it has a grid system of one way streets and Macquarie St. is a good base for doing most of it on foot, you'd only need a taxi to get to North Hobart where there are a few interesting bars and restaurants.

Oh and in the B&B there's a retaurant guide saying some are open til late, this actually means 10pm so not exactly late so if you are off signtseeing out of town plan your return for dinner time well.

And for veges one of the nicest (upmarket) vegetarian restaurants we have been to in Oz is just down the road at 6 Victoria St. called Sirens - may be wise to book ahead too [--]‎.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — What is it with 10am check outs in Oz!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eire-ette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2008

The Macquarie Manor was our last stop on a 4 night trip to Tasmania and what a great way to end the trip. Jon and his team were incredibly warm and welcoming, and more than happy to help out with any questions. We stayed in a standard queen room which was actually quite big! It was decorated in a very traditional style, which might not be to everyone's liking, but we felt (as a couple in their late 20's) that it made the place very friendly and cosy. In terms of location, Hobart isn't a huge place but regardless, we found the Macquarie Manor was close by to all the major attractions and in terms of driving, was easy to get to. Breakfast in the morning was lovely and again, the staff were very friendly. I'd highly recommend the Macquarie Manor to anyone visiting Hobart, it's a lovely way to enjoy a great city in a fabulous state of Australia.

• Liked — It had a really nice ambience!
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was genuinely all good.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca0210
Melbourne
Reviewed January 30, 2008

As far as location, comfort, service and overall value goes, the Macquarie Manor is ahead of its field in Hobart.

The location is walking distance to anything you need in Hobart, whether it is Salamanca Place or the city centre.

It was so warming to see the staff so enthused to have you check inn and offer as much assistance as possible.

The room and set out was so regal and enchanting, with our very large room pleasing us immensly. We only stayed a night, checked in late and checked out early, but were left with a huge impression.

• Liked — Service and Location
  • Disliked — Stairs, not an issue for me but could have been if we were there longer
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank timmye
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2008

We stayed here on our last night in Tasmania. It was a last minute booking on wotif.com. When we got there we were met with a lovely person on reception (Angela) who upgraded us to a suite. The room was spacious with period features and good facilities, including a decent sized fridge which was good for storing food products we had brought on our journey. The staff were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable about Hobart.

Stayed January 2008
5 Thank Hatt-away
Washington DC
Reviewed November 27, 2007

My friends and I stayed at Macquarie Manor for 5 nights and we totally loved it. The room was beautiful and the staff were super hospitable. Helen and her husband, who own the place, are definitely some of the nicest people I've met in Australia.

I booked this hotel after I read reviews on trip advisor. Initially I wasn't so sure if the room was going to be too antique and old looking but I was pleasantly surprised when I entered the room. It's got the right amount of vintage, but with a contemporary look to it. My friends, who live in Australia and have stayed at several hotels, were very happily surprised by my pick.

The staff helped us plan our sight seeing more realistically. I was very ambitious and wanted to do everything. But Helen put things in perspective for us and helped us maximize our time there more effectively.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing I can think of
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
6 Thank ARAGHAV
Tucson,Arizona
Reviewed October 6, 2007

We stayed at the Macquarie Manor for six nites in September. Still traveling in Australia and just now getting around to writing a review. This Inn is wonderful. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the gracious, warm hospitality of the owner and manager, Jon. The Inn has been lovingly restored and is conveniently located within walking distance to the Salamanca Market (don't miss it), local shopping and restaurants in Salamanca Place.
We recommend Room 14. It is very spacious and comfortable. Breakfast in the beautiful dining room was a treat and a great way to begin the day. We loved Tasmania and especially the Macquarie Manor!!!!

Stayed September 2007
7 Thank happytraveler86
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2007

We liked this hotel. Nice breakfast and large rooms downstairs with cot for our daughter. The staff were all very helpful and friendly.

I did see one complaint on this web and the proprietor had said if you had a problem then please discuss it with us....and that was typical of their attitude...hospitality

Well done! Do remember you are in a City and this is not in a country road....no worries really though

Deglan and Anne Rowe
England

• Liked — the welcome
  • Disliked — nothing I can think of
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family