“Lovely warm hotel - perfect location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Macquarie Manor

Macquarie Manor
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in Hobart
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely warm hotel - perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

We had a week at the Macquarie Manor (October 2011) which is located 5 mins walk from Salamanca, great restaurants, Saturday Mkt - a lovely walk through the beautiful St. David's Park, close to the wharf, city and hire car offices. Our room was lovely and warm, cleaned daily, breakfast was great, Tony & Tracey were excellent hosts who greeted everyone with a warm welcome - thank you so much for your hospitality we can't wait to go back - Jenny & Craig (Melbourne)

Room Tip: Hotel is on a main road so suggest choosing a back room if noise is a problem
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Jenny A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Gold Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

We have stayed at the Macquarie Manor on several occasions over the years and have always been more than satisfied with the accommodations and the service.

The location is conveniently CBD and we are always there to do business and so are able to park the car and leave it while we follow up on our appointments. On our most recent stay we were delighted with the care and hospitality given to us by the new owners. The Hotel was busy and this resulted in us being upgraded to a Macquarie Suite. We have not stayed in the Macquarie Suites before and we were pleasantly surprised with how big and enjoyable the suite is. We have tried other hotels in town over the years but feel like the Manor is home. We like the quiet, private and exclusive aspect of the Hotel and we were particularly impressed with the service given to us on our recent trip. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
      Location
      Rooms
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

We loved Macquarie Manor. We spent 2 very comfortable nights there and could easily have stayed longer!
The hotel is within walking distance to Salamanca, the wharf, CBD and some great restaurants.
Our room was lovely and spacious with gorgeous old world furniture. There was plenty of room to sit back and relax. The room and ensuite were both very clean.
There is free parking at the rear of the hotel which is a bonus as parking on the streets can be quite expensive.
We found the managers to be very helpful and made us feel very welcome.
We would definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jdwelj
Gold Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

Wonderful place in great location. We had researched the other hotels as best we could and chose Macquarie Manor and very happy we did. Old world charm spacious rooms, great hospitality, we will certainly be back.
Five stars for everything

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Wonthaggi, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

We booked this hotel as a mystery hotel on Wotif for a great price. Unfortunately I will never be caught booking a hotel via this method again after the unfortunate way my family was treated by this hotel.

We arrived for our stay last Tuesday the 9th of August. We were supposed to stay for two nights. Upon arrival the receptionist asked if it was just myself staying to which I replied no that it was myself, my husband and my infant son. She immediately notified me that they were a hotel for corporate guests and that they did not have facilities for children (facilities meaning cots. I had my own). She kept saying ‘our website says that this hotel is not suitable for children’ to which I had to remind her that I had made the booking on Wotif as a mystery hotel and therefore had no reason to visit their website (for the record I have since visited the hotels website and cannot find anywhere that it mentions that the hotel is not child friendly). She went on to ask me if my child would wake through the night, to which I replied yes as babies are unpredictable and you can never be assured of a full nights sleep. Well apparently our room was between two corporate guests and what if our baby was to disturb them! I left the hotel at this stage to go and discuss the situation with my husband as quite honestly I didn’t feel comfortable staying there following the initial treatment that I had received.

I returned 5 minutes later to who I can only describe as the most unprofessional manager I have ever come across in my life! He claimed to have overheard the conversation between his receptionist and myself even though he was nowhere to be seen and went on to say ‘I don’t know what has happened in your day today to make you so sensitive about this’! How about I have just been told that I am not welcome to stay at a hotel because my child might upset the corporate guests!! My husband was also aghast at the treatment he received when he tried to get a refund for the two nights accommodation that we would not be using.

I would suggest that this hotel needs to look at how it advertises on websites such as Wotif and if, infact, they prefer that children to not stay in the premises then that needs to be made clear. Also should you not want to receive inferior service, as it would seem that a couple of past reviewer have also experienced, then don’t book this hotel via the mystery hotels on Wotif (you can tell this hotel apart as in the description it says, ‘book before the boss finds out’).

We were lucky enough to get our money back through Wotif but if you don’t want to receive similar treatment from a very unprofessional and arrogant manager then I suggest not bothering with this hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Sara D
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

The heritage listed building was lovely to stay in and the service very friendly. They even helped us take our bags up. The room was huge, clean and had period furnishing which matched the building. The welcome book included the history of the building which was fascinating and recommended restaurants. The bed was very comfortable and it had a good tv. The bathroom was also clean and nice. The hotel is conveniently located in the CBD within walking distance to nice restaurants. The only downfall would be the parking as its limited but we didnt have any problems on our stay. Some cups and spoons were missing from the bar area but this was quickly fixed by the reception staff who were apologetic. I would definitely recommend this for a very comfortable stay, with a bit of history included.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

I made a blind booking at this hotel via one of those last minute mystery deals so I got an excellent price.

There was a bit of a drama on check in as they couldn't locate my room keys. Initially I was assisted by I'm guessing one of the owner's children who didn't give me all the necessary information on check in (or advised me incorrectly) and eventually after being dragged up and down the stairs a couple of times with the owner, it was established they had mistakenly put someone else in my room and so I was eventually re-assigned and finally got into a room after about half an hour or so.

As everyone says the rooms are huge, but I thought they had more of a daggy dated feeling rather than boutique or heritage. There did seem to be an electric blanket but I was unable to get it to work. There was heating in the room so this wasn't a big issue. My problem was the shower, the hot water only seemed to last for about a minute which was a bit of a disaster with the extreme Hobart cold!

I had a few early morning tours so skipped breakfasts here, but not for want of trying. The breakfast service seemed to start later than they prescribed, or perhaps it's just when they start preparing rather than when it was actually available. Consequently even though I should have been able to get a quick bite before my tours, I wasn't able to. Other days I saw what was on offer and frankly it didn't look like I had missed much, it looked very average and I was happy to dine out at all the other great options on Salamanca.

Having said all this I did find the owners / staff very personable but it felt a bit amateur overall. The location is excellent and I feel I received value for money considering my "special" rate was around 50% of the regular rack rate.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo