“Ticks all the right boxes”
Review of Wrest Point

Wrest Point
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Perth, Australia
“Ticks all the right boxes”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed at this hotel couple of times and it was worth returning back again. The hotel ticks all the right boxes – location, cleanliness, service, and breakfast. On the first occasion I stayed in the secondary building that is linked to the main tower by the galley and even though it was on the ground floor the views from my window in the morning were spectacular! Second time I stayed in the tower with my windows heading towards the snowy mountain peak of Mount Wellington.

Just one thing that is still fresh in my memory is the room interior – I doubt it was touched by any kind of designer.))) The walls were painted in weird yellow and mirror in the bathroom was surrounded by lights like in the movies where they put make up on actors. But if you aren’t particularly looking for perfectly decorated rooms it shouldn’t be an issue for you :)

Breakfast in the restaurant was always amazing – I would give it five stars!

Casino and bars in the main tower surprisingly do not cause any disturbance and I didn’t hear any noise from there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
WrestPoint, Manager at Wrest Point, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thanks for providing your comments, it was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The views from the Tower are indeed spectacular either out to the Derwent river or to Mt Wellington. Your comments re the decor have been noted, as you can imagine we are constantly refurbishing and will keep your comments in mind - I am glad however that you mentioned the great cleanliness, our housekeeping team do a wonderful job.
Kind regards, Andrew Fox, Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Cygnet, Australia
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We decided to stay at Wrest Point for a night with the three kids for my birthday. We stayed in the tower and the rooms were clean and comfortable but a little dated. The staff at check in were amazing and could not do enough for us. The stay was enjoyable but certain aspects of the hotel need upgrading urgently such as the pool change rooms which are quite dingy. The pool was a little busy and my husband and I felt uncomfortable there as there were adults doing laps who were not happy with the three child invasion of the pool.

A nice place to stay but not worth the $189 a night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write your balanced review of the hotel and your experience whilst staying with us. Its great you enjoyed the rooms and the team enhanced your time at the hotel.

Unfortunately the pool can be quite busy at times and I am sorry that the other guests made you feel uncomfortable - we will keep an eye on it.

Thanks again and we hope to see you in the future.

Kind regards, Andrew Fox, Hotel Manager
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We spent two nights at Wrest Point recently. We found the mountain view room to be very comfortable (albeit the decor a bit dated). The food options were numerous, ranging from cafe snacks to a revolving french restaurant, and also a great bistro overlooking the bay. It was only a few minutes drive to the city (not walking distance though) and about 15 minutes drive to Mount Wellington. We enjoyed our stay.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your generous comments – Its great you enjoyed your stay and noticed the diversity of styles of service we cover. We see ourselves as an entertainment destination venue so that one can easily spend an evening here having a meal, taking in a show and even staying the night if desired. Hopefully you will return sometime and try out the areas you may have missed this time and perhaps take in some of the other attractions around Hobart..See you again soon. Kind regards, Andrew Fox, Hotel Manager.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 15, 2013

On our last day in Hobart we visit the Wrest Point Casino for lunch.....hard to believe it is now 40 years since it first opened. Some parts of the casino still hold true to the feel of 1973, but it has had some modernisation. We chose the "Riverview Snacks" area for lunch, mainly as The Coffee shop with the buffet was very busy and had no view due to the Western sun causing the shades to be pulled down. In the Riverview Snacks, we had a wonderful table right beside the window with a magnificent view out over the harbour and the boats as they moved around. Menu was good and didn't break the bank...girls enjoyed a wine while the guys had a beer. Parking was easy and free, and the staff were helpful with directions and information. Spent a very relaxing 2 hours over lunchtime.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. Riverview is indeed a great place to lunch, the guests today have been enjoying watching the Tall Ships sail down the Derwent. The menu has also just changed and we have included an icecream bar full of delicious Tasmanian Valhala products. We hope to see you again soon in one of our many restaurants.
Perth
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My family and travelled to Hobart under less than happy circumstances, for the funeral of a family member. From the very first moment we set foot in the hotel we were treated like cherished visitors and nothing would have been too much trouble. The staff were exceptionally friendly, happy and helpful. I have stayed in many other hotels both in Australia and overseas and have found many of the employees to be aloof. This was definitely not the case here and I would suggest that other hotel chains could learn from the hospitality of the staff at Wrest Point who went out of their way to smile and assist us. The rooms need some refurbishing, as other reviewers have mentioned, but were comfortable and very clean. We stayed in a Tower Room with a spectacular mountain view and the heating was excellent. We ate at most of the restaurants in the hotel and found the food to be of a high quality and the hotel was just far enough out of town to be relaxing Thank you for making our stay bearable under such sombre circumstances. If I visit Hobart again I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Tower Room with a Mountain View has excellent views of Mount Wellington.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
I’m happy you were treated with care throughout your visit with us. It sounds like you had a trying time. I will definitely pass on your compliments to the staff and hope that next time you can come back and enjoy a relaxing holiday with us in happier times. Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. Kind regards, Andrew Fox, Hotel Manager.
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in Hobart on several occasions and usually choose to stay at the Woolstore but this time hubby selected a special on Wotif for the Wrest Point including a buffet breakfast. Upon having to request a trolley for our luggage from the concierge staff at front entrance we then proceeded to check-in with the friendly staff. Our room was on level 3 of the tower and we were given a room with a lovely view over the water. The room had been updated with what looked like new curtains, bed linen and a new paint job but it still had an old feel to it. The bathroom was tiny and it was quite annoying that I had to shut the door to blow dry my hair as you would hit the door with your arms or head and luckily I am a small person as I don't know how a larger person would fit into the shower but otherwise it was clean.
We dined in the Loft Bistro on the Friday night and I would have to say that if you are after you run of the mill pub meal then this is what you'll receive. We tried the Riverview Cafe for lunch on the Saturday, after ordering the steak sandwich for hubby, I tried ordering their advertised special of lasagne and chips only to be told they had run out but they were still advertising it. I then proceeded to order the seafood basket which came to a total of $20.00, I then ordered two of the house wines and my bill went up to $37.00 obviously this is where they make their money. The only gripe I had in there was that we had to move tables as the cigarette smoke was wafting inside from the smokers area outside.
We dined in the Pier One Restaurant on the Saturday night, we could not fault it and wished we had dined here on the Friday night. Even though we had no booking and they were obviously busy, the friendly wait staff found us a table for two, after not knowing what to order off the menu, I chose the Pork Belly which the waitress also recommended and it was scrumptious, hubby and I also decided to share the apple crumble cheesecake for dessert and that was a winner too, once again be warned about alcohol pricing, the bottle of Janz we ordered with our meal was $51.00 a bottle, compare this to say $20.00 at your local bottle shop.
There was a sufficient choice at the buffet breakfast both mornings but we found it to be a bit bland and lacking and we were lucky that it was included in our package because at $54.00 for two each morning, I think I'd have breakfast elsewhere.
Overall it depends what you're after, if you prefer staying closer to town like me, then I'd choose the Woolstore again but if you don't mind being out a bit and like to have a gamble then Wrest Point should suit you.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trutassie
WrestPoint, Manager at Wrest Point, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for your balanced view of your stay, as you observed most of the rooms have been refurbished recently. I’m glad you had the water view as it is often commented on favourably. Your tour of WP’s facilities is to be commended, it’s great you gave most of our different restaurants a try and so experienced the full gamut of our offerings.
The Loft and Riverview Snacks menus are to be ugraded within the next month so I hope you will try them out again in the Summer. As do they all, the staff in Pier One & Coffee Shop work hard to deliver great food and service so I’m glad you enjoyed the experience.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us…
Sydney
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Booked here to stay after seeing Don Mclean in concert at Wrest Point. Don was sensational!!!
We used a free voucher from a previous memership scheme, for the night and was given a great room with commanding views of the river.
Rooms have been upgraded somewhat, however the cheap tv which was I stalled was extremely slow when changing channels and no longer had a number of channels previously offered (e.g. Lifestyle channel). Bathroom had numerous black hairs around the shower and toilet.
Breakfast was ok, but was charged full price, even though we are federal members, because we chose to use points to pay (we found out afterward that we could have got gift cards from the service desk and saved around $10, which is a 20% saving. I am unsure why loyal federal club members are penalised for using points to pay for a meal. Pancakes were stuck in the warming dish and numerous dishes were not replaced when empty, simply topped up with other stuff already on the buffet. When you are paying $25 or so for a breakfast meal, one expects more.
Overall an acceptable hotel, just needs a few minor tweaks to make it a great hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Traveller2120
It sounds like you enjoyed the concert..and keep an eye out for other great shows coming up on Tixtas - especially those with dine & accommodation offers!! Thanks for noticing the recent upgrades to the rooms – free Wi Fi is also available in the rooms now! Rest assured the issues mentioned will be brought up with the different departments. Thanks for taking the time to review us on TA and see you again soon….
Kind regards, Andrew Fox, Hotel Manager