I've had a recent 3 night stay at Wrest Point casino. I foolishly did not check reviews on trip advisor prior to booking because I was visiting Hobart for a conference, and Wrest Point was the conference venue. I stayed in a Tower Harbor view room.
In an attempt to be balanced, positives of this hotel are:
* The staff at the front desk are friendly, prompt and competent
* The view from my hotel room was spectacular, overlooking the harbor.
* It is sufficiently clean, although there are markings on the furniture and the dark bed spread doesn't inspire confidence that it has been regularly laundered.
* Unless you are into gambling, this hotel is in the wrong part of town! Its a cab ride or 30 - 40 minute walk into the heart of Hobart. If you are not visiting for a specific event in this part of town, you'd be better off staying around the Hobart CBD, where Salamanca, Battery Point and other Hobart treats are a stones throw away.
* This rooms feel OLD OLD OLD! My initial impression upon walking into my room is "Someone's made a mistake! I've requested one of the more expensive accommodation options, and surely this is one of the cheaper rooms". Unfortunately, I was wrong. Picture the decor of a old motel along a country highway. Yellow walls. Pebble mix ceiling. Dark coloured bed spread. The furniture (e.g., tv cabinet, table) are dated, with markings / scratches across the surfaces. The TV is probably a 48cm, and is an old 'box-style' model. There's no DVD player - the hotel information book states that they are available for hire, but I refused to give them more of my money.
* Whilst the bathrooms appear less dated than the rest of the room, be prepared to have to wait by the toilet to flush repeatedly. The shower, water pressure and stable water temperature were positives.
* I dared not enquire about WiFi options, but I did notice a wired internet port in my room.
In summary, it wasn't a cheap hotel, views were great, location is not ideal for the typical Hobart tourist, and the rooms are extremely dated, albeit sufficiently clean. I won't be coming back unless there is a refurb.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience an absolute Hobart waterfront destination at Wrest Point; with spectacular river and mountain views, many fantastic dining experiences - including the award winning 17th floor Point Revolving Restaurant - a range of entertainment and genuine Tasmanian hospitality. For accommodation in an amazing location, great service and quality food and wine, look no further than Wrest Point. Choose from 4 Star Water Edge Rooms or superb 4 1/2 star Rooms and Suites in the famous Wrest Point Tower that capture stunning views of the river, majestic Mount Wellington, Hobart city and surrounds. Equal access rooms are available on request in the Tower. Wrest Point also offers a choice of 5 restaurants and 4 bars, from one of Hobart's premier dining restaurants, the Point Revolving Restaurant to the absolute waterfront location of Pier One Restaurant and Bar; to Tassie's best cocktails and live music 7 nights a week in the iconic Birdcage Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Wrest Point reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wrest Point Hotel Sandy Bay
- Wrest Point Landmark Hotel
- Hotel Wrest Point Landmark
- Wrest Point Hobart, Tasmania