“Recommended for food and shopping”
Review of The Italian Pantry

The Italian Pantry
Ranked #190 of 632 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The restaurent trades under The Italian Pantry but also trades under Serrarao fine foods. The food is wonderful and the service is outstanding and friendly. I know people who go again and again.The serve lunch every day and dinner friday nights which have to be booked owing to popular demand, new dining with a differance.Seating is available up to eighty people, and it is fully licenced.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is such a buzzy friendly place. The food is excellent, and after a simple lunch you can browse the shelves in the adjoining room for all sorts of wonderful produce. The home made pasta is especially recommended. Definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank Annette O

Reviewed July 14, 2013

The carbonara was very delicious, the spaghetti was rather tasteless (it just seemed so under seasoned) the little egg and bacon pies were quite plain (an egg cracked into a pastry cup with a bit or two of bacon) but the coffees and flavoured hot chocolates were superb.
Our waitress was a bit vague, never smiled and didn't being us any cutlery. (We all have our off days I suppose.) The ladies behind the counter taking orders and making drinks were lovely.
The cafe itself was clean although it did look a bit run down. The bathrooms were very neat and clean.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

So we had heard about the Italian Pantry on the radio recently as having taken out first place for the best Italian Cafe/Restaurant in the Australasia region and also rated as one of the top 5 in the world - a big accolade which inspired us to promptly see what the fuss was all about. I will look at 3 key areas in this review - Food, Setting & Service.

Setting - So the cafe is set in a an old warehouse in a fairly industrious area of north hobart. Well away from the "restaurant strip". There is a sign, a couple of flags and a black awning over the door. Definitely nothing to write home about from the outside. Inside it presents as a fairly neat little cafe with a small produce and deli store out the back. Impressions are that apart from a few Italian tourist tea towels hanging on the wall and numerous Italian bottles of plonk (which the range was extensive and very well done) over the main counter this eatery could really be any old cafe. We sat at a communal table which was along the lines of best in best dressed. The table was clean and neat. Of surprise though was the wall behind us, it had been patched up with plaster, which had not been finished, it was quite grubby and marked and the light switch was missing its cover - this was next to a grubby old white door which had its door handle on upside down. Definitely not world class presentation in this part of the cafe. The toilets presented as OK but a bit dingy - again far from world class :(

Service - service in the form of ordering your meal and beverage was done by approaching the orders section of the main counter, ordering, paying and advising where you were seated. The lady taking our order (tall skinny blonde lady with glasses) was prompt and efficient although a dash of personality and a smile would do wonders. We had our coffee made by a young girl at the coffee machine who always greeted out gaze with a smile and was a very good making coffee. Our coffee was bought over to us by an older fellow who at best guess may have been the owner. He was very friendly and courteous. When our meals were bought over, it was the tall blonde lady who bought these over - very much a dump and run affair. Not world class for sure and we did'nt get any cutlery so eventually figured out that you have to go find the cutlery yourself which is fair enough I guess but at least it would have been nice if she had of mentioned to us that if we wanted cutlery where we could find it...

Food - Coffee was fantastic and strong and the hot chocolates were also very nice. For our main meals we ordered the spaghetti bolognese and the fettuccine carbonara. The meals were very fresh and obviously made with quality ingredients and skill. The spaghetti bolognese was astoundingly uninspiring - it was very bland and lacking flavor although I honestly do not know if this is how authentic bolognese should be? I cant fault the dish on any other detail except it had no flavor worth mentioning. On the other hand - the fettuccine carbonara was exquisite and easily one of the best tasting dishes I have ever had at a cafe or restaurant in my life.

In Summary, this is a nice little place which does good food at good prices and I would definitely go here again but I am left scratching my head as to how it has recently won the accolades that it has because truth be told it is nothing spectacular.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband & I were looking for a family friendly place to have lunch in the North Hobart area. We were not disappointed! We sat in a comfy couch area where there were plenty of children's books, toys & colouring pages. The food was delicious & the serves were large enough that my son & I could share a bowl of pasta & both be satisfied. If all this wasn't enough, our 2.5yo son struck up a conversation with a lovely employee who happily took the time to chat with our son & then walk him to our car, where our son was then presented with a free little cake. It's little things like this that stick in your mind & have you wanting to not only return but also highly recommend to others. We were impressed & walked away knowing that with 2 small boys, this is a place we can come & be welcomed & supported. I encourage anyone thinking of visiting The Italian Pantry to do so. The food, service & deli/shop are all of the highest quality.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Fab bunch of people who run the shop, wicked donuts filled with custard which go well with the good coffee.