“Three recent visits - all first class.”
Review of Solicit - CLOSED

Solicit
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Along with my wife and accompanied by various family and friends groupings, I have again had the pleasure of dining at Solicit a number of times in the past couple of months.

As always, the ambience is terrific and the staff friendly, polished and superbly competent in their service delivery and food preparation and cooking.

My wife and I particularly enjoyed the Pork Wellington on a recent visit; this was a first for both of us (having previously only had the more common Beef version) and we were extremely satisfied with the excellent pastry, pork portion and the superb flavour. A Melbourne-based dining friend who thoroughly enjoyed his curried fish dish, but sought and received a small taster of my pork, was blown away by it.

A recent degustation dinner with Pooley Wines was similarly sensational with a full restaurant buzzing over the food (and wines, of course). As usual, the front of house staff, led so professionally by Joan Mahindroo, were unobstrusive but superbly efficient, all the time maintaining a happy disposition whilst being extremely busy.

On yet another recent visit, we each started with a taste plate which was up to its usual very high standard.

Well done John and Joan Mahindroo on maintaining the very high standards of excellence that we have come to expect at Solicit....by far the best restaurant in Hobart.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were looking forward to trying the amazing food that we had heard about in Hobart, and Solicit, based on the other TripAdvisor reviews, was on top of our list. We left disappointed. For starters we had the tasting plate and there was nothing that really stood out - 5 very small bowls of reheated left overs. For the main the Pork Wellington in its home made puff pastry should have been divine (the pastry was fantastic), however it was served with a cold sauce and it had to be sent back to be reheated. My partner had the venison and he wasn't certain if it was meant to be a hot or cold dish. The decor was very ho hum and definitely could do with updating. The young waitress was enthusiastic, but the owner, I presume, was fairly indifferent. Its a shame but this restaurant did not do it for us at all, and I'm certain there are better places to dine at in Hobart.

2  Thank Welltravelledlady
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We dined early as we booked late arvo the same day. So we got to see the place fill up by the end of our meal...
Staff were awesome, atmosphere perfect. Music at the correct, non obtrusive volume (my latest bugbear). Food and wine were gorgeous. Was expensive but not overly considering the quality of what was on offer.

1  Thank Alex M
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My wife and I are very frequent visitor to this restaurant. Why, because it really is a first class restaurant, a real gem in terms of food, wine and service provided by husband and wife team of John and Joan. I have been fortunate to have eaten in some of the best restaurants in Sydney, Melbourne Adelaide, in Japan, New Zealand, UK, Italy, and France (e.g. Lyon, Paris, Strasbourg and Nice), and Solicit shines amongst them all. That’s also the opinion of my international guests from the same countries. The food menu is not extensive, but you will find something to suit all palates, superbly prepared by Chef John and his team. Can’t make up your mind for entrée, then go for John’s “5 Tastes From the Kitchen” which never fails to impress. It is always different and shows John eclectic approach to style and willingness to experiment with flavours. John sources only the best quality food, and only the best leaves his kitchen for the table. The wine menu is also impressive, and nicely complements the food, but if you can’t decide then Joan will find the right match. The desserts are brilliant, and if you like cheese as much as I do, you will be pleased with the selection of local, interstate and when available, French cheeses. Just make sure you put your cheese order in early enough so John has a chance to bring it to room temperature for maximum flavour. As for service, Joan as FoH is undoubtedly one of the best in the business I seen anywhere. The front of the restaurant hums along like a well tuned orchestra under her direction.

1  Thank Graham H
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Recently visited Solicit afer a few months. The service and food were again first class. The best restrauant in Hobart.