“Penitentiary Chapel”

Hobart Half-Day Sightseeing Coach Tram Tour
Ranked #6 of 140 things to do in Hobart
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Hear incredible tales of crime and punishment as you are led through the courts and tunnels to the chapel, cells and gallows of this internationally-significant convict site, owned and operated by the National Trust. Join us for Guided Day Tours running up to 4 times daily on weekdays and 2 times on weekends, and for our Ghost Tour on Monday and Friday evenings. Bookings recommended for Day Tours and essential for Ghost Tour. Please note that access to the site is by Guided Tour Only.
Reviewed October 21, 2013

A great place to visit, has maintained as much of the original and later history of the Convict Site as possible. There is plenty to enjoy and learn. The guides are very well informed and friendly. It competes with Port Arthur with its historical significance. We have visited many similar sites and thus are able to highly rate it as a must to visit. The guided tour is well worth the money as it gives you the vital information in understanding the significance of the history.

Chris K South Australia

1  Thank Chris K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I went on the tour and we loved it. Our tour guide was Barry. I said I was going to give him a mention on Tripadvisor, he was an excellent tour guide. The tour took us through the grounds where we saw the old court rooms, old cells and solitary confinement cells, we also went through the tunnels below the court rooms. Barry had lots of information about the history of the place and and many stories to tell about the convicts, buildings and surrounding grounds. This tour we would highly recommend to everyone.

2  Thank sbgilly
Reviewed October 19, 2013

If you ever visit Hobart this is a place you must see. It's absolutely incredible to see how life must have been in the early days. From the jail cells, the court rooms, the tunnels and finally the gallows. It's all there. Our tour guide Barry was brilliant. A man with a wealth of knowledge and he gives you a great insight of early penal life. Very highly recommended.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I live in Hobart and I don't know of another tour where you get such an insight into how things were in the last two centuries - it covers the court, chapel, (solitary) confinement, executions, notable convicts, underground tunnels and more! My tour guide was the well-of knowledge and walking-'Trove' Brian - whose passion would seem to be as high as it was before his very first tour. I travelled alone and he was kind enough to take photos of me without my asking. All the staff are lovely - especially Missy! I cannot believe I have walked passed this building on the edge of town all this time. Go! Do it! So interesting and affordable - such great value for money.

1  Thank ConvictKerrie
Reviewed October 13, 2013

In midst of Hobart is a guided tour led by an amazingly knowledgable tour guide of a space that is both a historic relic and a historic curiosity - worth a two hour tour / totally unexpected - highly recommended

1  Thank ryszk