“Great learning experience”

Hobart Half-Day Sightseeing Coach Tram Tour
Ranked #7 of 140 things to do in Hobart
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Hear incredible tales of crime and punishment as you are led through the courts and tunnels to the chapel, cells and gallows of this internationally-significant convict site, owned and operated by the National Trust. Join us for Guided Day Tours running up to 4 times daily on weekdays and 2 times on weekends, and for our Ghost Tour on Monday and Friday evenings. For more information, please view our booking website: https://nationaltrusttas.rezdy.com/ Bookings recommended for Day Tours and essential for Ghost Tour. Please note that access to the site is by Guided Tour Only and our doors open 15 minutes prior to the first tour.
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Curator shared his knowledge about the history of the Penitentiary and Chapel with enthusiasm and clarity. He welcomed questions and as a result, we learned a lot. Brilliant!

1  Thank Herb L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)

Reviewed March 9, 2013

A great historical tour. The tour guides are very knowledgable and a some good stories to tell on the people who pass the this penitentiary.
What I like the most was the condition of the site is preserved to the original period. Not like port Arthur where everything is freshly painted and carpeted.
It was a 90 minute tour, but I could have spent another 90 minutes reading original documents.

1  Thank Phillip H
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My friend and I went on the Ghost Tour one evening, and it was the best and worst memory of our short stay in Hobart. As we were leaving the little room where we were told to wait until the tour leader arrived my friend did the hand around the neck with the noose thing which set me in hysterics. The tour guide must have thought us both extremely rude as we could not control our hysterical fits of laughter throughout the entire tour. We felt so rude, but simply couldn't stop. With tears flowing down our cheeks, both of us separating to gain control, we just couldn't stop. It was a fascinating tour, and the tour guide was creepier than creepy and did an excellent job, especially at ignoring us and our antics, thank goodness. It was reasonably priced and I'd recommend anyone to go, as it was very interesting. We still giggle hysterically to this day whenever we think about it.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We almost skipped this one but we were glad we didn't. As the name would suggest this is the site of the former Hobart penitentiary and chapel. Only the chapel and connected offices remain, however there is still plenty to see including the creepy underground tunnels. We took a tour which was only $10 each and went for 90 minutes. Brian, our tour leader was excellent. His knowledge of the site was outstanding and you could tell that he had a passion for the history of the place, which made a big difference. They also offer night time ghost tours which I'm sure would be fantastic also.
The only (minor) negative I have is that guests are actively encouraged to write a review on TA if they enjoy it, and discouraged from writing a TA review if they did not enjoy it. In my opinion this goes against what TA is all about.
Thankfully we thought the tour was fantastic and great value for money. Therefore I have no hesitation giving a 5 star rating.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was an excellent tour at a most interesting venue for National Trust members and non members alike. It gave a good insight into early life in Hobart and what it was like if you fell foul of the law…..not pleasant!!! I recommend it to anyone visiting Hobart.

2  Thank David A