“mixed review”

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We ordered food on a Sunday evening, after the music finished. Not sure what the idea was with where we were supposed to sit/waiter find us with food after we ordered off totally uncaring barstaff, Food was prompt- fab pizza for kids, great looking pork belly for hubby and a very very average paella for me. It was all served on cold plates, so we had to shovel it into us to stop it getting cold before we finished. Pork portion size ok, veggies etc. not enough. There was some sort of pesto/herb oil on my paella, and not much of a hint of flavour to be honest. would return, but ask for hot plates next time. Great atmosphere in bar area, seated restaurant area downstairs is personality free. Good pints

Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

It's great that they make their own schnitzels for their Parma's which my brother loved on our visit here. But the lamb rump I had was just ok. Far too much speck in the dish and not enough vegetables. And I hate that it was served to me in a cold frying pan that turned my dish cold. Effective look, but not for a pub.
Obviously this place has a creative chef which I love and if I visit again I'll try something different. The bar staff didn't seem interested in taking food orders or serving to the table, which doesn't compliment the chef. If he or she gets to read this, get another job, I think your wasted here. Maybe that was the problem - they are bar staff.
The lay out could also be improved.

Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Educated staff, good food and a warm fireplace. Lots if interesting beers to choose from and an interesting menu. Probably should have stayed here rather than my crappy hotel.
Live music too, but I went home before it kicked off.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I went here for lunch last week with my mother and my daughter. I had been here before for a farewell afternoon and had the most delicious goat and beetroot croquettes, so I was pleased to see them on the menu and ordered them together with the tempura vegetables and the potato skins as a sharing starter for us all. My first bite into the croquette was met with "wheres the meat?", it was filled with white sauce and beetroot, although my daughter did say she could detect a hint of goat in hers. As for the potato skins, they were not skins, they were huge potatoes cut in half and far too many for a tasting plate. Very disappointing.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

There is a saying down here 'as cold as hell'
Bathurst St, where my accommodation was located was cold and deserted on a Sunday night in mid winter, not a soul to be seen on the street.

I stepped into paradise when I opened the door of the new Sydney. A lively young jazz band was playing. The place was toastie warm and packed with a friendly crowd.

I ordered a rolled lamb shoulder with lentils and chutney. I was a little taken back by the dramatic plating of the meal of the meal when it arrived. Lentils strewn across the mat black plate with the rolls of lamb shoulder sitting asunder. I felt like a hearty pub meal and what I got was a hearty pub meal disguised as meal served in a fine dining establishment.

Thanks chef :)