“Still very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ethos Eat Drink - CLOSED

Ethos Eat Drink
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
tasmania
“Still very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have been regular patrons of Ethos for a good twelve months now, mostly for Sunday breakfasts, so have to admit when we decided to go for lunch this week we were wondering if there is a total change of staff to the weekends after reading the recent reviews below. But we had nothing to worry about and indeed wondering how these bad reviews came about. The staff were as usual, friendly & helpful. The place was over half full with three staff on the floor at all times so we didn't need to wait long for service. We ordered the $35 "surprise" lunch. There was about a dozen or so choices on a blackboard of which you could state any you WOULDN'T eat & they just bought you out five different dishes. It made me try at least one dish I would never have ordered but which I loved when I got it & we left pleasantly full. We certainly felt we got our $35 a head worth. As for pretentious staff...... No way!

Darwin, Australia
“Cool venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Was excited to visit here and got here early Saturday morning to enjoy breakfast (well 9 o'clock) sat outside enjoying the pretty courtyard. Coffee was good, selected from a small blackboard menu ( which I embarrassingly struggled to read and perhaps should have been more forward with the waitress and had her explain). Settled on cherries, almonds and goats cheese - took a little for me to get my head around when it emerged - cherry stalks, pits and all - but I really enjoyed it (once I stopped worrying about how how messily I was eating) - would be very keen to go back with a friend. Also a couple opposite me had the most amazing looking croissants - would definitely be worth trying.

Visited December 2012
Hobart
“still wondering”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

I am wondering how restaurants can get away with serving so little and charging so much. While I appreciate that some of the flavors in the dishes were nice, there was only enough to torment the taste buds, particularly when you are encouraged to share the serve! Very limited selection on the menu and a mountain of cheese at the end with four miniature florets of cauliflower and a few pieces of shredded of cabbage. Generally a very disappointing lunch. Not a good advertisement for the state.

1 Thank pipandbren
Australia
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

We recently visited Hobart and we were looking forward to this modern restaurant. However, the experience was very disappointing. We chose the 'chef selection' of small plates. From all the variety of food there was only one course that was good - which was the fish. The final cheese platter was probably the most disappointing as it was 12 large chunks of blue cheese with some very small portion of biscuits. I find it interesting in a restaurant that prides itself on local produce that we only got one choice of cheese.

I didn't feel that the staff were interested in our tastes or our experience. The service was most pretentious, which was disappointing as I haven't experienced this in an Australian restaurant for many years. As an example we were told we would finish with a cheese platter. However, the staff bother to ask the table of 6 if they all liked blue cheese, which is arrogant, given its strong flavour. The lack of anything to eat it with was also disappointing. There were quarters of apples to accompany the cheese, however they were bruised and old.

It was a shame to end our trip with the restaurant given the other lovely food we experienced in Hobart.

On the positive side the wine list was good and whilst we left hungry we didn't leave thirsty.

Visited December 2012
4 Thank hl1402
Melbourne, Australia
“Pretentious and Overpriced”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Recently we were in Hobart for a special weekend and dined out on three nights. We thought we would save the best restaurant for last and thought it would be Ethos. It wasn't!
There really is no alternative to the $65 shared banquet. The a la carte menu only had a few dishes and these were priced around $49. So we ordered the banquet. It started ok, with the usual "young beans, hand grown" etc. But never got any better. Dishes were all over garnished and under whelming. Even the potato sides were uninspiring as they was served cold. The dessert were "cherry's grown on our tree". We quizzed the wait staff on where the tree was seeing the restaurant was in a stable in the middle of the city and got a vague response. The final dish was 12 big chunks of blue cheese served on a platter with 6 tiny pieces of some specially prepared biscuits. Now I don't mind a bit of blue cheese but I defy anyone to eat that amount without any cracker to accompany.
The wait staff were fine it's the pretentious food I had the issue with. We were also told we had to come at 6.30pm as 7pm onwards was booked out. Not sure why, as when we left at 9pm there was no-one waiting for our table or others that were empty. At least we left early enough to get a decent bite on the way home.
We had some lovely meals in Hobart. I hope to review them next, but this was not one.

3 Thank Rachel L