“Great, but was expecting a little more”
Review of Garagistes - CLOSED

Garagistes
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Website is under construction. Luke Burgess is chef. e-mail is info@garagistes.com.au
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I'd read and heard so much, which may be why I was not as awed as I thought I might be. The food was really well executed and some of it was very creative but it lacked the wow factor. I'd still recommend going, and would probably go back again.

There are newer reviews for Garagistes

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Had the three course menu with the accompanying sake choices and I can honestly say that it was a revelation. The food is quite specific - you'll either love it or hate it - but I thought it was pretty amazing. Never knew that sake could taste like that (my guess is that the Japanese keep all the best sake for themselves!) and after a lifetime of having been told that sake was supposed to be heated I now discover that this is only to 'cover up' the poorer quality sake. An education and a must if you like fine food with an original (some might say visionary) twist. The only reason it doesn't get five stars is because of the room, which is very noisy and which makes it difficult to hear what one's companion might be saying. Otherwise...do not miss it.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

The variety of ingredients used by the chef is quite impressive and if I had to compare with European standards some of the dishes, especially on the larger set menu would deserve on Michelin Start, and the deserts are close to a two star experience.

The food is between French nouvelle cuisine and Fusion. The beef was delicious as well as the cooked lettuce and the green tea parfait. The home bread and butter are actually worth the trip as they are also exceptional.

The décor is very minimalist - all black - which enable you to appreciate the beautiful presentation of the dishes. One eats at the Bar or on long shared tables with wooden high chairs.

I did not appreciate so much the wine by the glass list, though the full bottle list is very extensive and looks good unless you like Bordeaux which I could not find.

I don't like the concept of having the choice between just two set menus (no a la carte) and the fact that people dining together are required to have the same menu. Thank goodness the service was flexible (a great Tasmanian quality) on that point, as I was almost about to leave the place just for that.

The price was 170 Aus $ for two with one small menu (3 dishes) and one large menu (5 dishes) with 2 glasses of wine and sparkling water. This makes it an OK value for money for this range of "gastronomic restaurant".

My own grading:

Service: 4 out of 5
Décor: 3 out of 5
Food: 4 out of 5
Service: 4 out of 5
Value for money: 3 out of 5

I would definitely recommend it and go back.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

THE best place for dinner in Hobart. There's no bookings. On a Saturday night, we lined up with 3 other couples just before 5pm at a partially opened huge industrial iron pivoted door; there's only 56 seats and place was heaving at the seams by 5.30pm. We had the 5 course degustation and it was just delicious, intelligent and inspiring. But beware that it's more quality rather than quantity here. The wait staff were very professional. We left with a big smile and glad we came here. Go on, give it a go, you'll love it!

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Well, I read some of the negative reviews on Trip Advisor, and I'm glad I completely ignored them!! This place seriously rocks!! My wife and I recently had dinner here, and we both agreed it was one of the best meals we have ever had, from the laid back atmosphere to the confident professional staff, and of of coarse the amazing food, we absolutely love it. We both had the 3 coarse degustation, and shared a house made charcuterie plate, the quantity was spot one and awesome value for money. The matched naturally made wines were amazing complementing the food perfectly. We heard a rumour they may be closing, so I'd recommend getting in before they do. Garagistes absolutely deserves it's number 18 spot in this years Australian Gourmet Traveller restaurant ratings list.